1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Oneonta tasting group?

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by ZPag, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ZPag

ZPag Zealot (95) New York Dec 3, 2012

I live in Oneonta NY and I am looking to start or join an existing tasting group. Anyone from this area interested in something like that? It seems to be really hard to find people around here who are into craft beer the way I am.
  2. I went to SUCO and would certainly get together if I still lived up there. Love that town!
    MEW likes this.
  3. ZPag

Apparently no one on beer advocate still lives here. Hah.
  4. MEW

MEW Savant (435) Colorado May 29, 2012

Am I really reading this? I live in Delhi and I can't help but wonder if you're the closest BA to my little ole town.
  5. ZPag

Apparently I am. Is there a decent bottle shop in Delhi? It is so hard to get good stuff in Oneonta. I find myself driving a lot, Albany or Poughkeepsie to get some good stuff.
  6. MEW

There are decent shops in Delhi if you like wine and hard liquor. :) Next time you're in the Capital Region, go to Hoosick Street Beverage Center on Rte 7 (aka Hoosick St) in Troy. They're awesome and in the process of expanding. They also just started a growler club. It seems like there are shops throughout the I-90 corridor... Utica, Syracuse, etc... that I haven't checked out yet. Maybe someone else could weigh in on those...
  7. Just curious, what's the best option for good beer in Oneonta? Still Woody's?

Used to buy cases of Beast bottles for $6.99 at what is now Rite Aid. That was the best.
  8. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (620) New York Mar 21, 2010

Wow, brings back memories, I went to SUCO in the 80's, been 25 years since I have been there! God only knows how many beers I drank there. I would leave the dorm at 3pm on Friday for sours and not come home until 4am in the morning, spent many hours in the Copper Fox on Fridays and twofers in Reds on Tuesdays.
  9. ZPag

Yeah the best is what used to be Woody's. They renamed it to Hometown Deli. But they have the best selection and he rotates it often. Just doesn't get much in the way of rarity.
  10. Mohican88

Mohican88 Aficionado (230) Ohio Jan 20, 2010

I went to SUCO a few years ago (now living in Columbus, OH), and lived just around the corner from Hometown Deli (Woody's). They always had something good, but like you said nothing too rare. It's the store that got me hooked on craft and I'll always be loyal to them for that. Center St. Deli had a similar selection to Woody's but I remember the price being a bit higher. Other than those two places, the Black Oak was a great bar to get some Ommegang on draft, and there is a place east on Rt. 7 just past Price Chopper called My Father's Place(?) that has a decent craft selection from what I've heard. The lack of selection in Oneonta is buffered by the fact that you're 20min from Ommegang and some other good breweries like Cooperstown and Butternuts. I miss being able to visit them regularly. I also heard there is a new brewpub near Cooperstown called Council Rock, I haven't been there but it's another option in the area. Good luck with starting the group, there are definitely craft beer enthusiasts in the area.
  11. ZPag

Council rock is really cool I got a tour of their brewing system, the setup is really nice. The owner is making 50 gallon batches and he brews I think 4 times a week he said. And the new set up at Ommegang is also incredible. The cafe in there is just great. The other local breweries are fun as well. I know there are people who like craft beer, just hard to find people for a tasting group it seems. I am sort of chalking it up to the lack of a good bottle shop in the area.
  12. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (300) New York Aug 6, 2002

Just spent the weekend at my mom's in Oneonta. Went to Rail benders, formally the Rail, for craft beer in mason jars. Not the best selection, but they did have Founders Centennial IPA on draft. Also hit up Council Rock. Had their IPA and Scotch, both were pretty good.
  13. MEW

What's the good word on this potential tasting group? I've got some stuff I'd love to share.
  14. ZPag

Still nothing really. I know a couple people who love locally who like to try new beers as much as I do, but the problem is still that they can't get anything crazy without traveling.
  15. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (345) New York Dec 5, 2010

There are BAs that live in Oneonta??? I thought that no one who liked or drank craft beer were allowed to be in that area, judging by the lack of craft beer goodness. I used to work out that way and spent most of my time at My Fathers Place and/or Rail Benders.

Good Luck in getting some people together for a group. Cheers!
    MEW likes this.
  16. ZPag

Yeah there isn't much here sadly. I have to travel an hour any direction to have some semblance of good beer selection.