1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Onion/garlic flavor in IPA's, Summit Hops?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Pelican5, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Pelican5

Pelican5 Savant (320) California Feb 4, 2012

First off I love ipa's and Sculpin and Pliny are my goto's.

But, I get this onion/garlic/b.o. taste in some ipa's. Off the top of my head Gubna (ew) and Hop Stoopid have this going on. Is this due to the Summit hops or something else?

hey5hitgoose and JMScowcroft like this.
  2. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Probably Summit hops (but I don't think Hop Stoopid was brewed with Summit?). Deviant Dale's and Devil Dancer also are known for this. I like it, personally.

3. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Oskar Blues is well know for using Summit,...Gubna, Dale's PA, Deviant all have these characteristics...I've never gotten that profile in any of the many Hop Stoopids I have taken down. More of a tropical, fruity profile that Lagunitas is known for. Like Etan I am also a fan...it's nice to have a less fruity, less sweet IPA with savory characteristics every once in a while...

jzeilinger likes this.
  4. Gubna is a bit over the top with it.
    Deviant Dale's has the perfect amount.
    Like the others, I have never gotten it from Stoopid.

fox227 and ramnuts like this.
  5. Columbus hops are a bit oniony to me. Pliny has a definite onion vibe if it's served too cold IMO. Don't get this vibe from hop stoopid.

6. Pelican5

I guess its one of those personal preference things. I dont enjoy it myself but thats the beauty of beer, something for everyone.

I just had a Hop Stoopid a couple of nights ago and after the big tropical and piney notes it seemed to leave a lingering flavor that reminded me of oniony thing. I'll have to look out for that flavor in other ipa's and see if its the summit hops or something else.

Almost bought some Deviant last night, think I will get some just to compare and if its not my cup of tea (beer) I will share it with someone else!

7. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Interesting.

I didn't notice it at all in Deviant Dale's and would've had to be several years dead not to have noticed it in Devil Dancer. I think I still have a Deviant left; I'm going to try to locate that characteristic summit flavor.

8. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

I hear that some people get it, some people don't. I think I'm extra sensitive to it, unfortunately.

I personally get TONS of onion/garlic from Devil Dancer, which uses a lot of Summit hops I believe. Drake's Hopocalypse and Deviant Dale's also had some garlic IMO, but I like both of those.

VelvetExtract likes this.
  9. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Devil Dancer is the worst offender I have encountered for this. It is laughably undrinkable. Like a chive smoothy. So bad. Double Crooked Tree is noteworthy as well.

10. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Summit hops are offenders, i have a feeling others are too in the right concentration. I think the problem is brewers see the high alpha acidity and automatically think to throw a bunch of it in the kettle in attempts to brew the most "insane" beer possible.

ThirstyFace and CellarGimp like this.
  11. mcc1654

mcc1654 Savant (355) Illinois Mar 20, 2011

I picked it up recently in GF Palate Wrecker. Normally I can't stand it, but for some reason it worked in it.

12. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Prior to last week I would have agreed with everyone else regarding Hop Stoopid, but the keg we had on tap recently was pushing the limits of how much onion/garlic flavor I can handle. I'm fairly sensitive to the profile, and tend to avoid stuff like Gubna because of it, but this is the first time that a Lagunitas beer has thrown that flavor at me.

spillred likes this.
  13. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Gubna is undrinkable, but Deviant's is at the threshold level, I can drink it and I don't mind it so much. Just depends on how much summit is used when.

Green Flash Imperial IPA also has summit, and now that I've ID the flavor, I can't stand that beer.

14. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I Never get this sensation... I absolutely love garlic too.

J-Bonestradamus and DocJitsu like this.
  15. I've never been able to finish a Gubna and I rarely drink any hop stoopid for these exact reasons

16. I agree with Palate Wrecker, but I like it. I also like Devil Dancer, Gubna, Deviant, and I get some of those flavors in Hop Stoopid also.

17. Pelican5

Glad someone else gets it in stoopid, thought I was crazy for a second :D

18. I've had most of the beers mentioned and never picked up an onion or garlic flavor at all. I guess I am not sensitive to this flavor profile at all.

19. Summit is known for the onion and garlic. Other hops will develope that if harvested too late. It will depend on the crop, how the hops are used, and your sensitivity to that compound.

20. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I usually like it! I've picked it up the most w/ Devil Dancer. I remember picking up some in Troegs Perpetual IPA, which is a f'n awesome IPA..

21. dukes

dukes Aficionado (180) Apr 2, 2012

Can't stand the onion taste. Gubna is the worst that I've had. Took two sips and dumped it out.

Others with strong onion:
    Arcadia Hop Rocket
    Arbor Sacred Cow

Moderate onion:
    Double Crooked Tree

Slight onion:
    Maine Lunch
    Coronado Idiot

VelvetExtract and LiquidTable like this.
  22. It's pretty strong in GF's Imperial IPA and the website says that they just use summit and nugget. I liked it when I first had it but then when I had it again the onion was really strong and overpowering.

23. Will look for it in the Sacred Cow, never noticed it, and that one is all Cascade from what the brewers say.

24. kiwifuz

kiwifuz Aficionado (165) Indiana Oct 27, 2005

Thank god it's not just me! I've said this for years about Summit hops. Shoreline brewing has a beer called 3 Sum that almost made me vomit the first time.

I think certain people are just more sensitive to it. My husband isn't bothered like I am. Lucky him, he gets my beer when I taste it.

25. ixodus

ixodus Savant (295) New Jersey Jul 18, 2010

100% Agree with this. I bought two bottles of the last release having loved just about every founders beer I've had. I took one sip, spit it out, and drain poured it. Don't think I've done that to any other beer.

cavedave likes this.
  26. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

citra can bring out the same thing. mostly summit though.

used appropriately, it brings out a great pungent weed kind of flavor/aroma. also has tropical fruit along with it (summit i mean). i love summit, but GUBNA was too much.

27. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I get a onion/green onion-y taste from Founders Double Trouble once in a while. It's not bad, but a little odd. The fresher the bottle the less I really notice it though.

28. dukes

I just wanted to say that I consider the b.o./dank note to be separate from the onion/garlic note, and is something I actually enjoy. I do get it heavily with Double Trouble. I don't know what hops they used, but I just brewed an all citra DIPA, and it tasted extremely similar to Double Trouble.

Not to steal the show, but I would enjoy some other "dank" IPA recommendations. :)

29. dukes

Maybe the one I had was just bad or something? It tasted like licking onion powder :confused:

30. JayQue

JayQue Advocate (500) Virginia Jul 23, 2005

I have never noticed the Summit hops in Devil Dancer or Hop Stoopid. For me, Gubna is undrinkable. I am one of those whose taste buds pick up Summit hops as onion flavored rotten vegetables.

31. It's interesting you mention Hop Rocket. I was still working for Arcadia when that beer was developed. It's all Summit and Simcoe. Summit does give an oniony-garlicky kind of flavor. Simcoe, when a beer is young, tends to give an earthy, mushroomy character that slowly fades to orangey-citrus notes as the beer matures. 3 month+ Hop Rocket does not have the pizza flavor to it because the Simcoe, as it changes, overshadows the often-offensive (or pungent) character of young Summit.
    The combination of the two is quite brilliant, imo.

KYGunner likes this.
  32. I found Deviant Dale's to have a pretty huge dank character, with some onion/bo underneath it. It really works now that it is pretty fresh, but hopefully the dank doesn't fade and leave it with only onions. I have decided to enjoy it now and not wait around, but, yeah, give it a shot.

33. soze47

soze47 Savant (345) Massachusetts May 22, 2010

I can't speak to all the beers here, but will to a few.

I'm drinking Double Crooked Tree right now (actually doing a 2011 and 2012) and can pick it up in both, but not at the levels of the Oskar Blues (can't spell BO without OB) brews mentioned. I really don't like Gubna. Too much. Dales strikes a good balance. Deviant Dales is a wild card. I had it when the first kegs rolled out in Boston and loved it. After a couple weeks of seeing it around, it got to be a bit much. I've only had Devil Dancer once, but remember not liking it at all. Lagunitas has NEVER given me this and find it odd that others have picked it up from them. Double Trouble, either fresh or with a few months on the shelf, has never given me the garlic/onion taste.

I love garlic and onions too, but don't always like it in beer. Especially when maxed out.

34. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

I think I was one of the few to first brew with summit hops many years ago.
    The very first year they were available they were very citrusy.
    In the years later they did develop that onion-y flavor.
    Weird
    The first year or 2 that was not there.

A late bloomer maybe??

35. To me, Deviant Dale had the onion/garlic etc. with a pine sol cleaner smell to it, hated it

trenchtown4 likes this.
  36. I actually had Lunch and Deviant for the 1st time tonight and couldn't finish the Deviant due to the off (to me) onion flavor, but I didn't get that from the Lunch, which I found to be delicious. Do you know what the hop schedule is for Lunch? Is it just used for dry hopping and not so much for bittering and flavor? I have used Summit at all so I couldn't distinguish it in Lunch.

37. Heady Topper for sure falls into this category.

38. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I find Southern Tier IPA and Pale Ale to have the oniony/garlicy smell and taste. I'm not a fan.

The BO smell to me is more in cedary/piney hops

39. Recently tried Hop Whoopin by O'so, and that definitely had an onion aroma and flavor to it.

40. Hop Stoopid was a fruit bomb for me. Loved it, didn't get any savory flavor. Definitely not a fan of Deviant Dale's. I'm sitting on a Double Crooked Tree, now I'm scared.