1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Online craft beer buying?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by psnydez86, Apr 23, 2012.

1. AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, RI, SC, SD, TN, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, and WY

2. dman127

dman127 Aficionado (240) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

Vinny at Quality Liquors is very helpful. Nice selection though Pliny is not always in stock (just like anywhere else).

3. Cazlo

Cazlo Savant (335) Pennsylvania Sep 7, 2011

Shipping to PA is illegal. That being said, there are more than a few companies that will ship here anyway. I admit I have used them a few times to get my Surly Furious fix and have never had a problem. Like trading, its something I only do every now and then. Bine and Vine Bottle Shop (formerly South Bay Drugs) is great, but does not ship to PA.

4. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

If I can find a place that carries Italian craft (no macros' please!) then my world domination is complete!

5. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

Good to know

6. belgianista

belgianista Disciple (50) Maine Nov 27, 2011

7. belgianista

I had two bottles of Pliny shipped to me last week. :)

8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Yeah, it comes and goes but if one is patient, they can get some buying online.

9. belgianista

Shipping is indeed a killer from this supplier ($52 a case of 22's) But have a case coming out of Oregon for $21 a case, much more acceptable.

10. belgianista

The Port Mongo in the photo wasa member of the $52 case, one damn fine 2XIPA.

11. IMO as of recently, trading is becoming more of a hassle than its worth, especially if you would like a couple bottles of something. Living in California, it feels like no matter what off the shelf beers I ask for, the ransom is ridiculous.

12. belgianista

Nice site but their shipping is definitely built in to their prices. They are $7.60 a bottle on their Yellow Wolf IPA and I have some on the way from Oregon at $4.95. Just a marketing thing with the site, it is a great looking site with a great selection and set up!

13. They have a lot of awesome stuff on here! How is the shipping? The prices are already more than fair.

davesway10 likes this.
  14. davesway10

davesway10 Advocate (500) Iowa Jan 23, 2010

After reading this thread I made a purchase with http://vendomestore.com/ (last Saturday). Got 4 bottles of Ballast point Victory at sea 7.99ea and 4 bottles of Sucaba 17.99ea. Shipping was $40 , California to Iowa. would have cost me about 20-25 in shipping had it been a trade. Overall very happy with the experience, the prices seem very reasonable and the bottles arrived within a week. I'll buy from these guys again, great selection BTW. They currently have fresh pliny and plenty other RR stuff if that is your thing. Glad this thread came up.

15. You can ship beer to MD? Hmm thats news to me.

16. Bitterbill

There are a few stores that do.

17. Shipping was $40 for 5 bottles though? WOW

18. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

Actually 8 bottles, 4 and 4 he said. At $5 a bottle, not the best rate, but a little more reasonable.

19. Ah I didn't catch that. Still not the best but do able. Although it wouldn't be for me it is probably easier than trading for those 8 bottles.

20. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

In addition, receiving the shipment in PA is also illegal.

21. Bitterbill

Giovannilucano likes this.
  22. davesway10

Yeah, 40 was a little high. Would have cost me about 20 to make the same shipment. On the flip side it would probably have taken me at least two seperate trades to get those quantities and then I would have been in the neighborhood of 30-35 for shipping so I don't feel too bad about it. Some good beers at a little extra cost.

Eriktheipaman and Giovannilucano like this.
  23. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

You pay a little extra, but you have added convenience by not having to buy beer, pack it up, and ship it. I haven't ordered online (damn NJ!) but I wouldn't mind paying a few extra dollars for that, just like you said.

24. France 44 rules, I love going there, and it is awesome that they have an online store too, get some steel toe size 7 or rain maker, as well.

25. davesway10

I also saved about $8 in taxes too, so that helps bring the overall cost down a bit

26. What are other good beers from that region? to get

27. those are the best readily available options, founders is also good if you don't have access to that, summit is soon going to have a really good west coast ipa, so that is another to watch for. we get odell's which is awesome as well.

28. davesway10

Another good online seller is Leukensliquors.com

29. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

Bitterbill likes this.
  30. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (385) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

ShopWineDirect is a leading on-line purveyor of stale craft beer product; however...sometimes they offer free shipping.

31. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Are they more of an online wine retailer? How do you NOT know what the insiders are wetting their panties over, if you don't walk amongst them, hang out where they hang out, be a fly on the wall...it's your business to know. That would be like a pro sports team's scouting dept., asking the fan base who the hot free agents are? That silly argument aside they seem to be the best deal.

32. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Yeah, they are primarily wine...and I assure you, they didn't seem to be in the know about beer from what he was saying. But it is good that he is coming to this site for info, hopefully their selection will expand even more.

Bitterbill likes this.
  33. I was just gonna write a similar post! In the Pittsburgh area and apart from Headhunter from Fatheads, I'm for the most part at a loss for trading.

34. House of 1000 beers in New Kensington has 'rares' once in awhile. But more expensive. I had Heady Topper last night from there.

35. RyanBeer13

RyanBeer13 Initiate (0) Virginia Jan 24, 2011

I Like buying beer its less work

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  36. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I trade and buy online, and actually here's very little difference in price. When you trade you still have to pay shipping to send your beer so it's a wash. The positives with online is it's legal to do so because they're licensed so you won't get popped on a shipment. I've had one trading box returned, and I had to reship so I was severely upside down in that trade and of course it was to Ca.

I've used france 44 - outstanding. My Surly fix
    beverages 4 less- outstanding regardless of the ratings, Freddie sells good stuff. PTE/Blind Pig/Alpine
    archer liquors- they pre box but outstanding as well. ZB/ 3F, you have to pick thru offers though.

37. Bitterbill

38. nc41

Any online store has a list of states they will ship to, luckily NC is one of them. In Pa your beat unless you know someone in a bordering state and you can pick it up without driving too far. If I lived in PA depending on where obviously , but especially on the Philly side I'd take a weekend trip to VT and visit Alchemist and HF and make a weekend of it. Buy enough HT and you can trade for anything else you want.

39. nc41

I've used;
    beverages4less -Pliny/Blind Pig/Alpine stuff
    France44- Furious, and stuff from Alaska my dad likes.

Been looking at lets pour, but I'm flush on IPA's.