1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Online craft beer buying?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by psnydez86, Apr 23, 2012.

1. WesM63

WesM63 Member

To add to my original post, i've since ordred from these places as well.

Letspours - ok at best. Moderate selection and slightly higher prices.M y order took a week before it even left their place.
    France44 - Upset with atm. My first order was placed on 6/26 and it still hasn't shipped (7/8). They said it was due to the heat.. but still no Surly.

At any rate, YMMV. (Yes, I trade as well, but it's not as easy as shopping online.)
  2. HumphreyLee

HumphreyLee Member

Since I'm in the same boat as the OP, has anyone here tried Brewforia for online shipping? I'm really enticed by their having Deschutes and New Belgium samplers on their roster since I've always wanted to try their products. Shipping isn't really an issue for me since I have family across the state line in Ohio.
  3. Mavajo

Mavajo Member

Quality Liquor has Cantillon Classic Gueuze for $39.99 -- holy markup Batman!
  4. studad

studad Member

5. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Member

Brewforia is the only place from which I've ordered online. Shipping was a bit steep and one of the beers I ordered was out of stock by the time they shipped. But I did get a refund for that beer (but not the shipping cost) and got to try several things I can't get here in Georgia. Despite those couple issues, I'll most likely order from them again.
  6. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Member

Check out the Charleston Beer Exchange in Charleston SC. They have a frequently updated inventory listing and is rated 100 points by BAs. They ship but check on their website if they ship to PA.

Cheers

andrew
  7. nc41

nc41 Member

I buy online sometimes, it's easy, safe, legal no hassles. Shipping is shipping whether you buy on line or trade. One I use in CA for my Pliny fix and one in Mn for my Furious fix. I'm lucky I live in a ship to state, but if your not trading is a great option as well.
  8. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Member

Man WTF! Why will they not ship to TX? I guess is has something to do with all the crazy gov. loones...
  9. brewbetter

brewbetter Member

Since this thread was bumped, does anyone know of any sites that ship FFF?
  10. dman127

dman127 Member

None that I know of. The brewpub does not and I don't know of any Illinois or Indiana stores that ship. Honestly, FFF has become very hard to find on the shelves. 6 packs are now kept in the back of many stores, with a one 6 pack limit.
  11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Member

SatlyMalty likes this.
  12. beerboy9960

beerboy9960 Member

I've used halftime beverage before and thewineandcheese place. Both worked well for me. Halftime has bourbon county stout right now. 2 four pack limit but pretty steep price
  13. HopFace

HopFace Member

I use halftime quite a bit when they have their "spend over $100 and get free shipping" sales. They usually mark their stuff up 1-3 bucks but sometimes have good prices. They also ship to PA.

I'm in Pittsburgh too and beer selection blows goats here. I trade here and there but again shipping isn't cheap.
  14. dman127

dman127 Member

West Lakeview is a great store. I had no idea that they ship as I always have gone in rather than looking at their website. The out of stock on most FFF is indicative of how hard it hard become to find it on the shelves. Mostly I can find some bombers, but the six packs are MIA. My advice would be to call them directly rather than go by the website. I think you just may have to catch them at the right time. That's what I do for Blackwell's when I need my Russian River fix.
    SatlyMalty likes this.
  15. TongoRad

TongoRad Member

Anybody have any experience with International purchases, or have a site to recommend? I'm wondering how difficult or expensive it would be to get some Andechs doppelbock.
  16. BobZ

BobZ Member

I have ordered from Etre Gourmet several times with great results. In fact, I had a box arrive today that I ordered on October 9th. I'd recommend them highly.

www.bieresgourmet.be (oddly the site is down for some reason at this exact moment)

As you might expect the shipping cost is high, for me a 12 bottle order makes the most sense to "spread-out" the shipping (60 Euro currently for 12) cost, while not having too large a box that attracts "undue notice" from customs.

The risk is that customs seizes your order and you lose, Etre makes you check a box acknowledging that it's your risk with regard to customs and the shop is not libel for reimbursement. It's never happened to me (or anyone I know); however, it did happen to a few members of this site who lost significant $ and ended up flaming Etre as a result.

I'll continue to order from them as I can get the beer (expensive but at least I can get it) that I can't purchase here.

Good luck.
    TongoRad likes this.
  17. TongoRad

TongoRad Member

Thanks a lot. I bookmarked the site and will check back periodically to see if they get the doppelbock in stock (as of now they have three beers but not that one).
  18. BobZ

BobZ Member

Always worth a check, I know he's had the doppelbock in the past, you can also email him as he's pretty responsive! Robert always seems to some Westy 12 in stock too, limit 1 per customer, per order. So that's kind a nice bonus to round out any 12 bottle order :)!
  19. jjf3792

jjf3792 Member

Anyone know when France 44 stopped shipping to PA?
  20. MJC8719

MJC8719 Member

I have ordered from Brewforia multiple times without any issues.
  21. heffnate77

heffnate77 Member

22. nc41

nc41 Member

Why should some states ship to Pa and some not? If's it's legal they should ship to you. Did you talk to Caren?
  23. rolltide8425

rolltide8425 Member

That's the point; it is not legal to ship to PA but some places will do it anyway.
  24. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Member

I will admit I bit on this one. I debated it for a few hours but called a friend and he told me to split it with him so we did and ordered some Flower Power as well. It was pretty damn expensive but without knowing how the Va. distro is going to be I'd rather drop the money now and have some guaranteed. The fact that it's being sold online though makes me think there will be plenty to go around.
  25. jjf3792

jjf3792 Member

The reason I ask is I placed an order back in June no problem but today I was given a message that they don't ship to PA anymore. Just wanted to see if anyone had any info on what changed, other than it is illegal.
  26. HumphreyLee

HumphreyLee Member

Sounds good. Thanks mate. They seem to be the best bet for getting a good variety of stuff from the West Coast and space in between here and there that I just don't normally find here. I'm willing to pay hefty shipping on variety packs since those themselves are a good value at around $18 a pop. Not like I don't pay $3 a bottle here to get stuff individually anyway.
  27. nc41

nc41 Member

Pa isn't on the shipping list, I checked. Not a clue what's changed.
  28. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Member

Yes, it *used* to be. I'll have to change my records.
  29. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Member

They just recently started shipping.
  30. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Member

On another thread, I was led to Lueken's Big Town Liquors. They have Cigar City (plus several other Florida/ SE brands) and that's pretty awesome.
  31. dman127

dman127 Member

Same here - placed an order with them last night. First time trying them. They had Marshal Zhukov in stock and I was able to order a couple along with a few saisons.
  32. yamar68

yamar68 Member

EtreGourmet does, in fact, charge an arm and a leg. Hope that helps.
  33. Lutter

Lutter Member

Because it's illegal to mail-order beer to Texas.

Order all the wine you want though! Because that makes complete sense!
    yamar68 and Bitterbill like this.
  34. SamuelJackson45

SamuelJackson45 Member

Yeah I called France44 about the change. Apparently the PLCB got in contact with them about illegal trafficking of alcohol and would report them to the ATF and shit. Dam scare tactics PA. Beer laws sucks and your killing my beer purchases too. Now I have to trade for Surly again.
  35. iSTi

iSTi Member

I typed in my zip code and I guess there's free shipping for me. I'm gonna order some Pliny soon.
  36. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Member

http://www.shopmerwins.com/ is where I get my surly fix. Shipping maybe a little high - but not too bad. Definitely cheaper than the amount of gas it'd take to drive there.
  37. nc41

nc41 Member

I get Surly Furious from france44. 2/4 packs delivered to my door right at 32 bucks. It's 9.99 a /4 pk. Legal no hassle, sometimes they throw in an extra. Hell, I might order some today rather than spending 10 bucks on a so so IPA.
  38. Pinche_Oso

Pinche_Oso Member

Halftime's "FREESHIP" with purchase of over $100 is back. Just thought you guys would like to know.
  39. nc41

nc41 Member

At that price do it. I've never ordered because their shipping rates off set the great bottle price. But Pliny for under 5 bucks and free shipping is a steal.
  40. nc41

nc41 Member

Which is why the extra's are so great in a trade. Shipping is a bitch everywhere.