1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Online craft beer buying?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by psnydez86, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Pinche_Oso

Pinche_Oso Savant (460) California Jun 25, 2012

I had thought so too, but early this morning I read BA's mentioning it gets distributed in very small quantity. Might of still been drunk when I read it. Haha

tacosandbeer likes this.
  2. ellswrth

ellswrth Savant (345) Oregon Oct 7, 2003

I just put in an order with Halftime and got this email almost immediately (with a list of everything I ordered):

Thank you for your order (placed at http://www.halftimebeverage.com)!

Your order has been received. ***Due to a recent drastic increase in our daily orders, shipping times may exceed 10 business days to some locations. Please bear with us during this period of transition and growth. If your order is time sensitive, please email us at [email protected] and we can cancel or refund the purchase.*** We are very sorry for any inconvenience.

3. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

Yeah, I got that when I ordered too. I never got a shipping email but the next day in my order history on the site, it said it was fully shipped, which seemed unlikely.

4. I placed an order through halftimebeverage.com and it was a success. I also received the message that ellswrth got, but the order arrived within 5 business days.

5. HeyJim

So I missed the UPS man, but he left a note saying I can meet him at the post office at 4:00. Question : Can anyone else think of a reason other than alcohol you'd need to be 21 to sign for a package? >_> I don't think he'll give me any shit, but just in case he asks...

6. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

For those with concerns with Halftimes shipping estimation, I live about 7 minutes away from the store. They just purchased a separate warehouse to work their shipping out of with a ton of inventory on location as well, so that's most likely the cause for delay. They're great people though.

7. HeyJim

Lmao, I got my pack from UPS. I got a little nervous when I saw the giant sticker in bold lettering "CONTAINS ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES". He didn't say anything though. In fact, he didn't even ask for my ID.

Edit : I'm also under the assumption that Halftime is lying about being out of the other three bottles, so it would make an even 24 so they didn't have to freeship a second box. The three beers in question are still available on the website. One of then is a Weinstephaner Hefe, which I really doubt they ran out of.

Not a super big deal, since they're refunding me for the missing bottles, but a bit backhanded.

8. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Anywhere to buy Deschutes Dissident online? I know someone in Oregon, thinking of having her try to get it for me and ship it my way.

9. All on-line stores do that. They have to get a license of some kind that allows them to ship alcohol (similar to wineries that ship). The annoying part is ripping those stickers off so you can re-use the box :)

randjuke likes this.
  10. A bunch of the stores listed in this thread ship Deschutes. France44 comes to mind.

11. HeyJim

Right, but I live in PA where receiving alcohol is illegal, thus the nervousness.

12. LOL, I get it now... :cool:

13. MNHazmat

MNHazmat Aficionado (125) Minnesota Oct 23, 2008

No it isn't. Retail release is on 11/5.

yamar68 and Pinche_Oso like this.
  14. RyanBeer13

RyanBeer13 Initiate (0) Virginia Jan 24, 2011

A gun

15. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I had the same experience with Halftime. Same e-mail with zero follow up. I went into the account that I had set up and it stated "fully shipped." I sent an e-mail asking for a tracking number and before I got home I hada notice I missed the UPS delivery guy. I drive over to UPS and picked it up where I was asked to show my ID and my package was actually loaded into the UPS website as "Wine." Not sure if that relevant or not but I know wine shipments have different rules.

Beer I bought from Beverages4Less came FedEx but shipping was far from free.

16. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

beverages4less for- Pliny/blind Pig/Alpine IPA's

france 44 for Surly.

17. nc41

No complaints, when I order it's usually 2 - 4 pks of Furious delivered to my door maybe 32-33 bucks with shipping. Furious runs 10 bucks a piece, so shipping from Mn to NC is right at 13 bucks, they also have thrown in an extra several times. I ship for trades, and IMO 13 bucks is cheap.

18. Skye1024

Skye1024 Savant (320) Indiana Oct 3, 2009

Anyone else feel like LetsPour has raised their prices lately? Ive ordered from them successfully in the past three times, so Im not bashing them. But some of the deals lately just dont seem like near as good of a value as in the past. Like the Bells 6pack on there now for $34.....just dont see how thats really enticing to many people.

19. Funny you mention that... that has got to be one of the WORST deals I have ever seen on that site. Maybe they could get away with that price for FFF bottles ... ot maybe even if it was Hopslam. I would love to hear from a person who justified that purchase...

20. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

If you consider that it's $34 with free shipping and you can use a $10 coupon so that it's $24, it's not the worst. Some places seriously charge $10+ to ship each additional bottle.

Are there any places in MD that sell online?

21. mattizmyname

mattizmyname Aficionado (150) Aug 2, 2012

Someone needs to spill the beans on a place that ships heady topper. I know it doesn't exist but maybe.

22. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

I would have to disagree with Lets Pour customer service. I had a beer in my cart and when I was looking to get more beers for the six bottle shipping, it was ripped out. When I emailed them they said I used up my time of 15 minutes to order the beer. B.S. It was gone in under five minutes. When I responded to their email saying this was not the case they have never gotten back to me. So their customer service is crap. Just saying. There are too many other place to get beers from.[/quote]

I am very happy to say that I have to eat my words and retract my statement. The good folks from Lets Pour contacted me and went way above and beyond anyone word do these days to help me out and make me a satisfied customer. So please go to this web site and shop there. They are really nice and if you have a problem very willing to help. You don't find service like this anymore. Really amazing.

TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  23. Skye1024

Skye1024 Savant (320) Indiana Oct 3, 2009

The most puzzling one of all is SN Tumbler at $6. I would think anyone in the US that wanted to could find a 12 pack of this without too much trouble.

Also, the Mad River Double Dread 12oz for $13! This beer may be good and somewhat limited, but how did it get the ridiculous price? I assume this was distributed and sold in 4 packs for $12-15?

24. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Darkness is still 'brewery only' in my book. It sees local shelves for, oh, about 5 hours on average. If you have a hook at a metro bottle shop then you are guaranteed two or three but that's about it.

I have an easier time getting a 6 bottle allotment at the brewery than a single bottle at any major metro bottle shop.

25. Alright here is my dilemma. I know I can't ship beer from the US to Boston. But Can I ship it from Belgium?

26. sparx1100

sparx1100 Savant (380) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

Surly released a limited amount of bottles to local liquor stores think it was like 1000 bottles got mine at the brewery was awesome

27. bld81

bld81 Aficionado (195) Missouri Mar 9, 2009

Its looking more and more like this happened to me. My first (possibly my last) order with Etre was turned over to customs on Sept. 28 and still no word yet. Robert has talked to me by email about 'initiating a claim' for the box but I've had no updates. Does anyone have any experience with this?

28. just did my first order with beverages4less and went real smooth, would but again

29. How are their shipping charges?

30. nc41

freddie doesn't hike up the shipping charges but he charges like a $15 boxing and handling fee. So a box of combined Pliny/Blind/ Pig/ Alpines cost me about $140 for a 12er box.

TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  31. nc41

I for the most part use france 44, and they're great. I can live on Furious and Abrasive vs Pliny and Blind pig.

hardy008 likes this.
  32. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

Nothing to be nervous about for two reasons:
    A. UPS and Fedex don't care. Worst case scenario: they send it back to the shipper (or keep it, I guess) but I'm sure they'll assume all is well if it's from a licensed shipper. They will not report you to any authorities.
    B. THERE ARE NO MORE FUCKING STORES WORTH A GODDAM THAT SHIP TO PA!!!

33. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

how much did he charge you for those beers? As I am sure you can trade for those beers for much less and not be stuck with the $15 surcharge.

34. 6 bottles to NY $27 + $8 packing charge

based on what I have paid doing trades I didnt find it excessive at all, happy to pay it.

35. nc41

He also jacked up the Pliny and Blind Pig a buck, he said his profit was minimal on those. I pay it maybe 2X a year, I'm a big boy I know what it costs and i accept that. He doesn't hide stuff at all, so pay or no pay it's up to the individual, it's his business he can charge what he wants.

fredmugs likes this.
  36. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I understand he can charge what he wants and you can do what you want with your money. Just presenting the other side of it as Freddie is locally known as not being the most friendly, nice, or ethical business person. And this is from the perspective of customers, employees, and other local businesses.

37. I am hesitant to order from online sources due to the fact that I live in the northeast. What are the possibilities of the beer freezing? Has anyone in the cold weather states experienced this during the winter months?

38. I would be careful about that now. If you order high ABV beers you are probably safe right now, but I wouldn't risk it for the next couple of months until it gets warmer. All it takes is one night well below freezing and if it is the wrong night you could be in trouble. I have a box en route from California right now and I am nervous as hell about it.

39. nc41

Nah if it's well insulted no problems which they are, they are very well packed. Wouldn't hesitate at all, besides being in an airplane for a few hours where else is it sitting where it's freezing? In a facility? On a truck? It won't sit on your porch it has to be signed for by someone over 21 or they won't deliver. Hell even an airplane it's protected by stuff around it. But france 44 won't ship in abnormally hot or cold weather, their policy.

40. Airplane?????? There is no chance your beer will ever see an airplance unless you paid $200 for express shipping. Your beer will be in trucks and warehouses across the US for about a week or so and at times it will sit in a truck or an unheated warehouse overnight before moving along the next day. It is a risk. A big risk. A lot of experienced traders stop trading in the winter for this very reason (myself included).