1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Online craft beer buying?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by psnydez86, Apr 23, 2012.

1. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

france44 and freddie both use individual bottle shippers, can hold 6 or 12. france44 are upright freddies lie down, both look to be corrugated compressed and and completely buffers the bottles unless they''re run over by a truck. Great to reuse to ship to, the best part is it's completely legal and no hassles and completely insured.

2. HoldenDurden

HoldenDurden Savant (335) Illinois Nov 27, 2011

I had similar initial thoughts, but went ahead anyway. I emailed my order and freddie responded by email in 7 minutes. Seriously, 7 minutes. It was painless.

Geuzedad likes this.
  3. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (600) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

4. I happened to place an order at Craftshack earlier today.
    I picked up some nice stuff and I thought shipping was reasonable.
    Waiting to see how long it takes for my beer to arrive.

Here is what I ordered:
    Struise Black Albert​
    Knee Deep Citra Extra Pale Ale​
    Kern River Isabella Blonde Ale​
    Grand Teton Black Cauldron Imperial Stout​
    Grand Teton Pursuit of Hoppiness​
    Dieu du Ciel L’Herbe à Détourne Citra Tripel​
    Dieu du Ciel! Aphrodite Stout​
    Firestone Walker Pivo Pils​
    New Belgium Ranger​
    Dieu du Ciel! Peche Mortel Imperial Coffee Stout​
    Almanac Barrel Noir​

afrokaze likes this.
  5. I've checked it out a few times. Not the best site. but beer wise they seem to have a good selection. I assume the people at Beer Pulse run craftshack? Or is that just an obvious statement

6. I order from them when they first got the new website. They placed the shipping label right over the "Adult Sig Required", so fedex just dropped it at the door without a sig. But yeah shipping was reasonable I thought.

ChipMurray likes this.
  7. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

I've ordered from them 3 times, all great experiences. Got 3x FW DDBA, Black butte xxv, Bois, alpine (when they sold it), and others. Wouldn't hesitate to order again.

8. Buff0910

Buff0910 Savant (390) Alabama Jan 20, 2013

They are the same as Windy City Liquor. Same store different website.

9. MystikCelt

MystikCelt Savant (305) New York Jun 11, 2011

I've ordered from 3 or 4 places online, and CraftShack has the best packed boxes. They use those, dunnowhatchacallit, wood pulp bottle shipper things inside their boxes rather than just bubble wrap or whatnot. Dunno if it's actually safer for shipping, but it makes for nice presentation, and everything's arrived in tip top shape.

10. JSaint

JSaint Aficionado (110) Wisconsin Aug 26, 2010

Just placed an order with them as well. Ordered W00tstout, R&R Coconut IPA, The Bruery Hottenroth, Bear Republic Cafe Racer, Struise Pannepot, Ommegang Biere D'Hougoumont, and a Jester King Salt Lick. Very reasonable shipping. I think it was only $20 for the whole lot.

11. JSaint

JSaint Aficionado (110) Wisconsin Aug 26, 2010

Bineandvine.com does that as well. Those shippers are awesome. I keep them and the boxes for trades lol.

12. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Savant (430) California Jan 9, 2013

So OP how long have you worked for craftshack?

Overlord likes this.
  13. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

I see nothing available at craftshack worth the effort of online ordering/shipping and the vagaries it entails.

sergeantstogie and cavedave like this.
  14. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

But Ranger is one of the top 10,000 IPA in the country.

Geuzedad and sergeantstogie like this.
  15. I actually like Ranger and like that I can find a decent IPA almost anywhere I've been but I can't fathom someone paying shipping on it.

cavedave likes this.
  16. First online beer purchase ever just made two days ago.
    Two bottles of Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout on it's way from my beer store when I visit Florida.

17. So...I just added a bomber and a 4 pack to my cart at Haskell's...the original fedex ground quote was 44 bucks. Is that right?

18. That sounds super high. Based on their site description, the only explanation I can offer is that they are shipping your 4 pack and bomber in separate boxes, so you're essentially paying for shipping twice.

That still doesn't seem like it would be right, because $22 bucks each for two small boxes is really expensive.

I shipped two boxes this morning via UPS, one had two 750s and two 12 oz bottles. The other had one 750 and two 12 oz bottles. The total combined was $35.

19. davesway10

davesway10 Advocate (500) Iowa Jan 23, 2010

That seems awfully high.

20. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

If this helps you to judge the amount an online store in california shipped a 12 bottle shipper for $35 to new york. It was mostly bombers except for 2 12 oz bottles and at least 1 750.

Geuzedad likes this.
  21. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Savant (470) New York Sep 4, 2006

MadeInOregon dot com

Not the biggest or rarest selection, but they have a free shipping promo running currently on orders over $59. They usually have a $15 off xx or free shipping coupon every month or so. A really good deal for those living on the east coast. You can throw in a scarf or an organic whatever, if you need to make the order look more sensible to your SO or office secretary.

utopiajane likes this.
  22. GameFreac

GameFreac Savant (410) Georgia Apr 8, 2011

What site has the best prices and shipping costs? I just got a new job and want to celebrate with some out of state beers.

23. nc41

france44.com, you can get your Surly freak on.

TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  24. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (485) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

What is your beer store? I am dying to get Cigar City ot here in Arizona. Thanks!

25. hiimrichie

hiimrichie Savant (275) California Jul 11, 2012

I think it's luekensliquor.com that has cigar city for sale. I grabbed two Zhukov's last year from there.

26. nc41

Lukens sold me 8 week old plus Jai Alai.

27. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

This is what I fear when buying online since I mostly buy IPAs.

28. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

These guys really should expand this, because they have one of the best beer selections in MN and not just MN beer, but anything distributed here and that is a lot!

29. nc41

Not with Surly and france44,fresh as he'll stuff.

30. TheSamKuehn

TheSamKuehn Advocate (705) Florida Aug 27, 2012

I'm thinking that may have been a while ago (your order). I order from Luekens routinely and noticed a few months ago that they added to the description of Jai Alai, when you click on it, the canned date. I just checked the website and they have Jai Alai available that was canned 9-25-2013.

31. nc41

Nice , other than the old IPAs service was great, nice to hear distribution is better.

32. flag8r

flag8r Aficionado (245) Florida Nov 7, 2009

Damn them...don't they know that the hops fade away after 1 hour in the can? In all seriousness, I've gotten so spoiled locally that if it isn't < 2 weeks old, I don't buy it.

33. BeerMeInStl

Good to hear. My MN beer connection has been catching Hell from his wife about the beer deliveries so I might have to get my Surly through them.

34. BeerMeInStl

I've noticed the dates for Jai Alai too. That's always good to see.

35. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

On c'mon, that's not that bad.

36. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Savant (420) New York Feb 11, 2009

Haven't you heard? Unless you drink it before it goes in the can, it is stale.

37. nc41

Yes it is. Some IPA'S age fast, Jai Alai is one of them. I asked when I ordered if they were fresh and I was old they were. They weren't. Actually they were closer to 10 weeks old. Some IPA'd are faders, Jai Alai is one of them, with Flower Power and other such fruit forward kinda IPA's. I bought HT in VT in May and bought it to the beach in July, you couldn't tell the difference between fresh and 2 months old. Style counts.

38. TheSamKuehn

TheSamKuehn Advocate (705) Florida Aug 27, 2012

Or send it to him at work and let him smuggle it home ;)

39. mrchrisray

mrchrisray Advocate (515) New York May 14, 2013

I did my first online beer purchase last Friday from Craftshack, formerly Windy City liquors, I think. I ordered 5 22ozs and 1 750ml, all beers currently on the 250 list, and the shipping was $20. The beers were mostly cheaper than what I'd find them for in my neighborhood, and that is a big IF I can find them in my neighborhood. So with shipping split btwn the 6 bottles I'd like to think of it as a win-win. They were all stouts or farmhouse ales, so I'm not concerned with the freshness. I had a few questions too, and my emails were all answered within an hour each time.

40. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Any online stores that sell Three Floyds? I realize I could just trade with someone but I don't think I have access to anything they cannot get themselves unfortunately.