1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Opinions on Cellaring Hopslam

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by wiscokid920, Jan 22, 2013.

1. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (455) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

Hopslam is hitting the shelves in my area at some point today!

I was contemplating about cellaring a few bottles to see what they might become. Perhaps a white barleywine?

In alll honesty, I'm probably not going to have the will power to keep them in the cellar...so I guess I'll have to stick with enjoying them fresh

2. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (430) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

In a word...don't.

brewbetter and kevanb like this.
  3. First time I had Hopslam it was 6 months old. Nowhere near as good as a fresh one. Don't cellar is my opinion.

4. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

Opinions are like assholes.

So, if you age Hopslam, it'll probably taste like asshole pennies.

5. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I would never take a beer that is world class in its category while fresh and not drink it just to see what it becomes after what makes it so great fades.....

6. thereal

thereal Aficionado (190) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

jbeezification likes this.
  7. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

AVOID. There is no need. Trust me, it comes back every year. No need to hang on. Enjoy it as fresh as possible.

8. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

If you like uncomplex malt bills, and hops that have lost all their sweet fruity goodness and kept nothing but root beer and pine tar, then you are likely to enjoy aged Hopslam, as that is generally what happens to aged IIPA's. Hopslam is too good fresh to experiment with aging.

9. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

That's like suggesting eating shit just to see what it would taste like

powpig2002 likes this.
  10. I'll let you know. I actually had one slip through the cracks last year and by time I got to it it was well past it's prime-decided to save for this year and do a side by side. My expectations are very low.

11. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Why anyone would intentionally cellar DIPA's amazes me, they're made to drink as fresh as possible. You want to cellar one to experiment, fine, but don't ruin a whole lot more and be disappointed.

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I am sitting on a bottle that is coming up on a year old, I am going to keep one of this years batch for a year and do a nice three year vertical with a fresh one included when complete. It will probably be a train wreck, but we'll see.

ubenumber2 likes this.
  13. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

One bottle is fine to experiment, but cellaring 4 Pk would seem like a waste of money.

14. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

It's not like Hopslam is hard to come by when it's released, so why not just set one aside for yourself and see? You'll never know if you don't try it. Hopslam doesn't have a complex or robust malt bill, mostly pale malts with maybe a few specialty malts for nothing but color, so you probably shouldn't expect much out of it, but again - why not give it a shot?

15. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

I tried this when I first turned 21. I tried it after 6 months and a year. Both junk.

Dont do it.

It does NOT improve at all. it does not turn into a good barley wine like you may think. just drink the crap out of it while its fresh.

16. Icarus

Icarus Savant (260) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

I will find out what a year old Hopslam tastes like soon, I had 1 bottle slip through the cracks last 'Hopslam season' and will try it when I get a fresh 6 'er. I'm sure it will be crappy.

17. Yeah as others have said it's not nearly as good and really falls off. Some IPAs surprisingly taste amazing with some age on them, Central Waters Illumination being one of them, but saving Hopslam is just a waste.

18. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

IPAs don't turn into barleywine. IPAs turn into IPAs that you should have consumed earlier.

19. atone315

atone315 Advocate (730) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

This.

And they dont turn into white barleywines either...

20. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (455) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

Well I appreciate all the responses! I picked up my sixer and after my first sip, I concluded...I'm enjoying them all FRESH!
    Cheers!

21. Just had a year old hopslam that a friend brought over. I was amazed that ALL of the hop presence was compeltely gone. Side by side with fresh, I wouldn't even guess they were the same style, much less the same beer.

22. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

A year is not long enough to turn into anything.

23. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (335) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

2.5 years is though. I accidentally lost a bottle of this in my cellar and found it a lot later. It was absolute garbage.

24. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I want to find the guy who started this myth about IIPAs turning into barleywines when you age them, and force him to drink all the beer he helped ruin.