1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Opinions on Coors Batch #19

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Spikester, Dec 7, 2012.

1. You're right about wine barrel aged Ovila Dubbel. Like a beautiful sour, that never got sour. If that makes sense.
  2. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

It's $7 total for a sixer where I live.

Ain't getting much cheaper than that.
  3. It's not bad. If I was in a mood for a blonde ale/cream ale/other name for same kind of beer I wouldn't hesitate to drink it.
  4. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

$9 around here.
  5. You should put that in a review. What prosody.
  6. It's particularly sad that so many BA's seem to be unhappy with Coors' Batch 19. It is the very opposite of what they were aiming at, at least from this description on a Yankee Stadium "Craft(y)" beer stand.

[​IMG]
  7. Definitely a decent pale lager alternative.
  8. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

"Bold, happy taste"
    ...at least it doesn't taste cold.
  9. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

Batch 19 isn't terrible, it's just not the kind of beer I normally prefer to drink. (and at least you don't need to hire a private investigator to figure out who brewed it.)
    WilliamLee, jcb7472 and creepinjeeper like this.
  10. IMHO, Batch 19 is not a bad beer if you consider it within the context of American Amber Adjunct Lager type beers. I think that Batch 19 is a bit better than Yuengling Lager or Shiner Bock for example.

If you judge Batch 19 as per the label of Pre-Prohibition Style Lager it is a disappointing beer.

Is the verbiage of "Bold, happy taste" a typo or is that just more of MillerCoors Marketing BS?

I took note of GABF Silver Medal Winner. It took a bit of detective work but I found for the 2009 GABF:

“Category: 30 American Style Specialty Lager, 23 Entries
    Gold: Keystone Ice, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
    Silver: Pre-Pro, Coors Brewing Co., Gol, Golden, CO
    Bronze: Steel Reserve, Miller Brewing Co., Golden, CO”

I have never tasted Keystone Ice beer but for that beer to be judged superior to Batch 19 is a ‘message’ of some sort.

Cheers!
    kemoarps, jcb7472 and JimKal like this.
  11. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

I saw the tap handle at a bar that I frequent and decided to try it... I asked my server who brews it and she didnt know, after one sip, I knew it was just another adjuct. Then I googled it. The metallic taste said coors before google did though......:eek:
    jcb7472 and hallandoates like this.
  12. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (620) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

A couple thoughts.

1) Macro brewers that specialize in AAL's should be focused on creating better beer, by in fact, creating a better AAL. I think Batch 19 is a step in the right direction. Probably the best AAL out there.

2) Don't try to make it something it's not. I don't care about how they market it, pre-prohibition or not, the fact is, they're using better ingredients and better recipe to make better beer. And arguably all beer can be further improved upon, so the fact that this is a step, let's hope Batch 20 is even better.

If you don't like AAL's you probably won't like Batch 19. See #2.
    SFACRKnight likes this.
  13. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

Agreed, but I havent seen any beers that say they are American Adjuct Lagers, I had to order it(and pay for it ) to find out, and I am one of those who dont like it. I guess I should have done my research...:)
  14. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (620) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

That's just part of beer drinking man... I've had lots of beers I've paid for and didn't like, macro & craft alike. I agree though there should be a level of trust with the menu & server offering it for sale to be able to accurately represent it.
    kemoarps and Smitty1988 like this.
  15. socon67

socon67 Advocate (600) New York Jun 18, 2010

I'm really hoping the "better" beer stand in right field is back. At least there I can overpay for Goose Island or Brooklyn stuff.
  16. And maybe some newbie craft drinkers too? ;-)
  17. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

Not a bad beer on tap but I would not buy a six for that price when I could buy somthing better.
    JackHorzempa likes this.