1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Opinions on the "Irish Car Bomb" cocktail?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SteelCity75, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Let me first say that I know this is primarily a beer website, but I'm asking this question because I care about the beer that I'm drinking. Anyway, as I bought my things for St. Patrick's Day earlier (Bushmill's Irish Whiskey, McCormick's Irish Cream and the Guinness Holiday Pack), a friend told me that I have all of the ingredients for the Irish Car Bomb. I hadn't heard of it before, but it seems pretty offensive, considering how many people died in car bombs in Ireland in the past.

But, more than that, I'm just wondering if anyone on here has tried it and liked it, or if it's just a random combination of Irish things that college kids made up, to try to be as Irish as possible?

For anyone that doesn't know, you make one by filling 3/4 of a pint glass with Guinness Draught, then drop a shot glass filled with half irish cream, half irish whiskey and chug it as quickly as possible.

I don't wanna waste a good stout on this, so I figured I'd ask beforehand.

2. that is the perfect stout to waste, making that concoction. so it's perfect to make car
    bombs! they taste good and get you super buzzed if you do a few. cheers!

cwreay90, dianimal and MEW like this.
  3. In before "they're the bomb."

4. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Honestly they're a tasty way to get smashed, if that's your thing. Gotta drink it somewhat quickly before it curdles. An old favorite of mine, though I haven't had any in years.

Dope

5. If you're using Guinness Draught, then don't worry, you're not wasting a good stout.

Just don't let the shot glass hit you in the teeth!

6. Well, I didn't include the fact that I've also got 3 bottles of Foreign Extra Stout, and I was really wondering how that'd taste. I know the Guinness isn't normally considered a "good stout" on here, but the Foreign Extra is delicious. Maybe I'll use the Draught for the car bombs (I really don't like that name, if anyone has any other names for it, I'd like to know them) and drink the Foreign Extra by itself.

7. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (335) Florida Jan 26, 2012

muslim car bombs, bad. irish car bombs, good.

8. cetherid

cetherid Savant (395) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

You're making me reminisce about my college days.

9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

It's not St. Patty's day without one.

10. Up there with jagerbomb for the drink of tools.

Falcone, ackeeper, tcanaday and 5 others like this.
  11. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,045) Washington Sep 24, 2007

It's just a variation of a Boilermaker. I have an Irish friend here in town, and he tells me you will get your ass kicked if order one in Ireland. The worst part is, it's the drink that spawned Jagerbombs:

dianimal, jcb7472, DHS1029 and 5 others like this.
  12. My father was from Belfast, my cousins grew up in the troubles, so maybe I'm too sensitive, but I find the name so offensive I won't try the drink.

13. I'm just glad that me and my friends that enjoy Jagerbombs don't act anything like that. God help us.

evilcatfish likes this.
  14. use the draught for the bombs. idk what else to call em. just don't order em at an authentic Irish bar. you might be thrown out in the worst way

Newbiebeer likes this.
  15. Haha, my friend visited me in Ireland and tried to order a carbomb.....the bartender asked him to leave.

THEN he tried to order a Black & Tan....and I asked him to leave.

16. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

You're not drunk until you're doing boilermakers of Magners and Jameson....

I can't think of the last time I remember hearing someone order one though. I'd have to expect he started the request with the salutation "hey broski............"

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  17. If you really have to do an Irish Car Bomb, for god's sake don't use the foreign extra.

Though I do wonder how foreign extra would taste with a shot of Bushmills dumped in it. Worth a try.

18. Drink less, drink better, respect beer.

19. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Ive tried them. They taste good and do what they're designed to do, but I don't like being drunk when outside my own home so I stay away from them.

Edit: YaygaBombs!

20. Don't like them, the curdling is disgusting. Plus I think Irish whiskey tastes horrible so adding extra liquid to it that makes it more than one swig is just repulsive. If I was trying to get drunk really fast I would rather take the shot and just wash it down with the Guinness to get rid of the whiskey taste asap.

21. Vitacca

Vitacca Advocate (535) Montana Sep 15, 2010

Classic!!

ung and BoneyardBrewer like this.
  22. Along with Yuengling Porter, the other beverage that got me into good beer was a Sunflower (or so that's what the bar in my hometown called it). It was a pint of Guinness with a shot of butterscotch shnapps or a shot of irish cream mixed into it, then pepper (as in ground black pepper) was sprinkled onto the head.

Now, I haven't had one of those in over 15 years, but I'm throwing it out there because it helped me understand that beer didn't have to taste like Natural Ice.

23. I think they're pretty damn great. Even though most places stick with Jameson's, Guinness Draught and Bailey's, regardless it's not a half bad shooter to pound down at the bar. Plus "Car Bomb" sounds way cooler than "Jaeger Bomb". Guinness also tastes way better than Red Bull as a base.

24. My sis let it curdle and didn't do much good for her. When I'm actually out to get drunk I'll have one..make it with the foreign extra. Love em

Retail1LO likes this.
  25. you live once. don't be a tool. enjoy st.pattys day. I kid but no really.

26. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Honestly- they're pretty damn good. They taste like a glass of straight irish cream pretty much. And they will do the job that they are designed to do- which is to get you drunk quickly. I haven't done one in quite some time- but St. Pattys sounds like a pretty good day to do one or two.

27. Offensive name aside, they are surprisingly delicious.

I haven't had one in a while because I'm a little past the drinking til you pass out stage of my life and its a drink you have to chug because it thickens very quickly. I still do enjoy them every once in a while and I think I will have to have one or two on St. Pattys day.

kmatlack likes this.
  28. Glad I'm not the only one who gets slightly offended by bombing of civilians. Despite the name, the drink was one of my first experiences with beer and still holds some good memories.

kmatlack, pk18 and palmdalethriller like this.
  29. I understand that, I feel like drinking a cocktail with a name that could be offensive to Irish people on St. Patrick's Day is totally lame. If I were you, if you have any interest in trying it, just call it something else. If I make it around my friends on St. Patrick's Day, I'll probably just call it a Seamus Finnegan (reference to an Irish Harry Potter character that I loved).

30. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

There are people who have never had this drink, or even heard of it before? Wow!

Typically done with Guinness, Jameson, and Bailey's...but whatever. I've had many car bombs and they get you nice and drunk...they also taste fucking delicious but you gotta chug it or it will curdle. Tastes like a slightly boozy chocolate milkshake.

If you have all the ingredients and have never had one you really owe it to yourself to try it

31. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

If you're feeling particularly adventurous you can try an Irish Truck Bomb: Mostly fill a pitcher with Guinness, mix equal parts irish whiskey and irish cream in a pint glass, then dump it in the pitcher and chug away

32. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (335) Florida Jan 26, 2012

curdles quick and HORRIBLE farts!!!

JoeyBeerBelly and hoppytobehere like this.
  33. yep,
    from Scotland and used to watch the BBC news constantly update us all with IRA attacks. Not getting into a whole debate about the Troubles, or IRA v UDF or any of that crap. It's all heinous and I refuse to take one of these "drinks" because of it.

Zimbo, MinorThreat, rob133 and 2 others like this.
  34. nhindian

nhindian Savant (370) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2010

They are tasty.

Would actually make it better to use a FES instead of the normal draught.

Hmm..

35. I "liked" it mainly because of the HP reference, awesome.

36. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

Does one drink for the drunk or for the taste. I will go for the taste. Shots and car bombs suck when you wake up.

rauchfest and 5thOhio like this.
  37. Tut

Tut Savant (400) New York Sep 23, 2004

It's a silly drink for immature, unsophisticated, kids and frat boys.

ackeeper, nickfl, avenuepub and 4 others like this.
  38. Absolut

Absolut Savant (430) California Sep 19, 2011

ugh. they lead to one of the worst hangovers ever. EVER. first time last time, many many years ago

39. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

I'd rather drink a coffee with Baileys, my whiskey straight, and the export on its own. No reason to mix when they're all fine individually. But you never know what you like until you try it.

40. acme963

acme963 Zealot (80) Texas Dec 10, 2006

It's offensive.
    Not sure how this is acceptable. 3,500+ deaths during the troubles.........drink up???