1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Opportunity vs Convenience

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by leprakhan, Jan 27, 2013.

1. leprakhan

leprakhan Savant (355) California Dec 28, 2009

Does a beer get a few extra points for the occasion of trying it as apposed to the idea that it's readily available?
    (I.e. I've recently had a specific beer in an epic tasting and thought nothing of it.) Now trying it again w/out a dozen+ to compare it to, all of a sudden makes it a worldly beer which was once an un-recogonizable beer. Hmm.
  2. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Breweries are super smart for doing limited releases... People eat that stuff up!

For example 3 Floyd's with Dark Lord. That beer is solid, but not amazing to me, if it was year round, I would only buy it every once in a blue moon. Since they have this special event it gets crazy hype and the tickets to sell out in minutes. I still would love to go to Dark Lord Day just for the beer trades and tastings.
  3. drtth

drtth Champion (850) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

How about "fatigued" taste buds that have been pounded into submission by many different beers vs. "fresh" taste buds getting a chance to do what they do best without the "memory" of all those other beers to confuse them?
    dennis3951 and Blueribbon666 like this.
  4. leprakhan

leprakhan Savant (355) California Dec 28, 2009

That makes good sense. Absolutely something considered but this was a BIG beer. Stout w/ coffee at 12%. There were not many beers at this tasting around that caliber, (A few yes, but not many.) It was not saved til the end either. It found a nice place in the middle.
    Anyway just wondering if anyone else had any inconsistancies with a beer?
  5. Tasting are the absolute worst place to try a beer. It's kind of ironic that the best beers in the world often end up served at tastings.

For starters, I'm a big believer that you need at least a full serving pour to get a real feel for a beer. You need to try it over a variety of temps, let your palate get adjusted to it before you can really taste it, see how you enjoy it after the initial impact has worn off, etc, etc.

Then we get into palate fatigue and/or drunkenness from all the other beers, the distractions that come along with tastings, rushing to get to the next tick, relative competition, and all sorts of other odd stuff that can kill a world class beer.

I have no problem with tastings or sharing great beer, but if I really want to enjoy something awesome (especially for the first time) I often like to just savor the entire bottle for myself on a quiet night in.
    THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  6. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Im a firm believer that many amazing beers are wasted at "tastings"
    THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  7. I have made it a personal rule of mine that when I try a new beer, I must drink the whole bottle (slowly) and I must be alone and undistracted by anything but music (usually instrumental). That seems a bit over the top, but I really go out of my way to respect and enjoy beer and give it the attention I give to any other art.

I'm thinking of lighting candles, burning incense, and dressing up for each personal tasting in the future.

But not really.