1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Opposite of Imperial Palate Syndrome?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MammaGoose, Apr 24, 2013.

1. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I think IPS is a pretty established term for somebody who is craving bigger, bolder, more complex, higher ABV, barrel-aged, double, imperial, etc kind of beers while not finding lighter, more sessionable, and classic styles as satisfying.

I went through this to an extent this winter. Where I used to love a straightforward brown or porter, I only wanted imperial and BA stouts. Where pale ales and IPAs used to be my go to style, they all seemed boring compared to DIPAs/IIPAs. I've never been big on whale hunting or ticking, I only seemed to be interested in and satisfied by the most extreme examples of every style.

But suddenly, I'm going through the opposite. I struggle to get through the Imperial stouts in an hour, the same beers I used to buy all winter. Even my favorite DIPAs/IIPAs seem over the top and sticky. The warm alcoholic tingle I used to enjoy is now feeling like boozy fire in my throat. Even my tolerance has been getting wimpy. I drank one 5% Odell Cutthroat Porter after work and felt enough of a buzz to not want another. My consumption rate hasn't changed, really. One, maybe two 12oz beers a few times a week after work, and maybe a few more on the weekend, depending on what's going on.

I'm sure that a large part of it is the season changing. Longer days, the weather is trying to get warmer, and lighter beers are just more appealing. But it seems like my palate is regressing! Has anyone else lost their taste for huge robust complex beers?
    BigBarley and draheim like this.
  2. I'd say your palate is progressing. More is not necessarily better, and less is frequently more.
    mscott1975, jgluck, udubdawg and 3 others like this.
  3. compton

compton Aficionado (165) Georgia May 20, 2009

agreed on the palate progression and thoughts on beer in general. it's easier to hear the brewer's story when there isn't so much yelling. These beers still have an expression and place in our craft, but there is much in the small guys to behold.
    Kahless, BigBarley and herrburgess like this.
  4. Yea thats why I find it is best to drink different styles depending on the time of year.

Fall Belgians
    Winter-Stouts and BA stouts
    Spring Pales/IPAs
    Summer Saisons/wilds

Ill drink IPAs year round because it is my fav style but I try to stick to the listing above because it makes the most sense to me despite palate progression...it keeps me from drinking one thing too much.
    Genuine likes this.
  5. Ride the wave where it takes you, and don't rush things; it's all good and worthwhile. No matter what gravity or intensity you are craving though, from 'less' to 'more', there are a host of beers from bad to awesome within that range- the fun is in finding those great ones along the way.
  6. superspak

superspak Champion (910) Michigan May 5, 2010

I have become quite the lager geek recently. And not just doppelbocks; were talking Helles, Dunkel, Oktoberfest, maibock etc. I think it all started when I tried finding every O-fest I could last fall. Ended up trying 26 I think. I definitely love to enjoy a nice balanced Kolsch every so often too.
    acevenom, djsmith1174 and Crusader like this.
  7. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

Don't waste your money on Imperials if you're not going to enjoy them.

It's just a phase, drink Bud Light until you get over it.
  8. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

It's time for something funky, cheesy & sour!
  9. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

10. No. But then again I'm a man, not a woman. Oh SNAP!!! I went there... But just as a joke. Figured that would be a typical BA (puffs chest) testosterone response on here. Had to. Couldn't help myself.

My findings are, as we approach the warmer weather, single IPAs that are bottle dated extremely fresh do the trick for that hop fix just as good as doubles, and at a lower ABV & refreshing. Can't say I crave imperial stouts, porters, and Barleywines in the summertime. But then again, i never crave lagers & wheat beers either.

Cheers!!
  11. There's a truckload of styles out there. I've found over the last 4-5 years, the typical cycle for a person new to craft beer is to go through some gateway beers in the Pale Ale range, then they get all excited about craft and seek out the best beers around, which typically are very big beers, then they settle down and decide to explore the entire sport
    Jazzpha and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
  12. To the OP: Repost if/when you revert back to the desire for Imperials. Been there done that.
  13. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I think you're just worn out from big beers. It's not a permanent "syndrome" just a temporary period of being a bit sick of the big stuff.
    kemoarps likes this.
  14. I go through phases where I lose mydesire for bigger beers. I'm in a funk now with IIPAs and even most American IPAs. I'm just sick of all the hops. I've been enjoying the hell out of some 312 Urban Wheat, Ithaca Groundbreak Saison, and SNPA though along with many stouts and porters.
    jmw likes this.
  15. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Variety is the spice of life.
    TongoRad and ESeab like this.
  16. I have gone through a similar transition as well. As much as I love huge beers, I've started to appreciate and enjoy the lower abv, subtler beers. I wouldn't call it a regression, but a REFINEMENT. After a while I realized that every bourbon barreled I drank 'basically' tasted the same, and every DIPA I drank 'basically' tasted the same.

Sometime you just have to switch it up.
  17. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

When I go to the Store to pick up more beer - I'm finding I'm always looking for beers that have a lot of flavor. I pass over the pale ales, light lagers, whitbiers, wheat ales and the like. Also depends heavily on the weather for me. If it's going to be a hot summer day, I do'nt mind some lighter styles whatsoever. Give me a good lawn mower beer and I'm happy.

Fall = Pumpkin Ales and Octoberfests
    Winter = Stouts, Impy Stouts, Barleywines, Old ales and Strong Ales
    Spring = Pale ales and IPA's.
    Summer = Pale ales, IPA's, Wheat ales and other lighter styles.
  18. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Try some more imperial stouts with different kinds of fruit they taste different than a regular imperial stout.
    bryanole27 likes this.
  19. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Yes, I am going through the same exact thing. This winter ll I wanted were Imperial or BA everything (esp stouts)
    Over the last two weeks I've been noticing that I am gravitating toward lower abv beers. Hell I even had to split a 90 minute at a Phillies game because I didnt want the whole thing and wanted to go back to my ST Live.

I wasted a WnB and a CW BBS simply because I wasn't in the mood for them last week. I drank them but I honestly would have rather had nothing. Weather is a huge part of it for me, bring on the pale ales!
  20. Love me a nice imperial stout with raspberries:)
    Skunkdrool likes this.
  21. Welcome to Sessionable Palate Syndrome. It's awesome.

I constnatly crave high quality Kolsch, Altbiers, Pale Ales, porters, Czech Pils and a wide variety of other brews that hover around 5% ABV.

I kind of associate this progression to the progression I have experienced as a drummer.I have been a drummer for almost 17 years now. I started off not knowing much about it, just being excited. I would jam to stuff and create stuff that was pretty typical, all on a pretty lousy drum set. Then, as I got more into, I was obsessed with/stuck in the "bigger is better" mindset. More drums, more cymbals, double bass pedals, inverted cymbals, roto-toms, cow bells, wood blocks, chimes, all sorts of shit found its way to my drum kit. As my tastes have evolved, they have become more focused and appreciative of subtlety. Today, my drum kit is scaled back a ton. No more bells and whistles (literally). It's a striped down kit that sounds way better than ever before. Don't get me wrong, it's still great fun to get behind some Neil Peart-crazy-ass kit and rock (aka "drink an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels"), but it's not what I crave.

Let me be clear that this is merely a reflection my experience with drinking beer and drumming, it is not representative of everyone's.
    djsmith1174 and udubdawg like this.
  22. So you're saying the Beatles wouldn't have been better with Jaco Pastorius on bass, Yngwie Malmsteen on guitar, and Neal Peart on drums?
    BigBarley and djsmith1174 like this.
  23. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

One truly becomes a Beer Advocate when one realizes there is more to beer than hops and bourbon barrels.

This didn't stop Doom from selling out in about 2 hours, however.
  24. Exactly.
  25. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

"But it seems like my palate is regressing!"

I'd say it's exactly the opposite. You seem to be becoming more apt at detecting subtlety.
  26. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (470) California Jul 31, 2010

We all go through it. You'll find a happy balance at some point where you enjoy/desire everything. Or, switch to sours. Sours make everything better.
    FembotsUnite, PieOhMy and Stevedore like this.
  27. BlackDragon

I keep hearing this and I like stouts made with cherries and berries but honestly I've never had a sour I would drink again. If you were to recommend a sour knowing what I just said what would it be?

edit: I love Fort too
  28. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

It could have something to do with the warmer weather. I definitely don't crave the big stouts and barleywines as much now that the days are getting longer and warmer. I've been after lighter, more drinkable and refreshing beers lately.

Aside from that though, I hear what you're saying generally. Sort of along the same lines, I've been starting to wonder whether barrel aging really makes beers so much better that they're worth chasing down (my conclusion: sometimes yes, sometimes no). I've been enjoying the hell out of beers like Speedway Stout, Yeti, and Stone IRS quite a lot—all of which are imperial but none of which are barrel-aged. I've also been opening my beer fridge and seeing rack after rack of big, intense beers, tend more often to reach for something like Orval or a saison instead.

Tastes fluctuate and it's not a linear progression. As long as you enjoy what you're drinking and drinking what you enjoy, you can't go wrong. Cheers!
  29. Skunkdrool

Skunkdrool Savant (470) California Jul 31, 2010

You cant go wrong with any sours from Russian River. La Folie from New Belgium is stellar. Anything from Anchorage is great. And all of the Bruery's offerings are great.
    In particular, Anchorage's Whiteout Wit, The Bruery's Sour in the Rye and Oude Tart, are solid sours.
  30. spicoli00

spicoli00 Advocate (710) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

Lupulin Threshold Shift Paradox
  31. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Paul McCarthy is a hell of a lot better than Pastorius. Were his technique always seems to be in charge of him, instead of the other way around, and don't even get me started on Neal Peart. Every time I see him play that ridiculous kit I just laugh out loud (and he takes it so seriously, which makes it even more funny). Give me Ringo any day.;)

To bring this back to beer, give me a cask session mild any time over Black Tuesday.
    herrburgess likes this.
  32. BigBarley

BigBarley Savant (330) Texas Aug 5, 2011

I love that "Imperial Palate Syndrome" actually took... I finally feel like I've contributed something of value to the forums
  33. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

Moderation and variety.
    champ103 likes this.
  34. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (395) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

IPS is full bore in my mouth. I hope it fades soon to save some fucking money!! It seems like everytime I hit the store I get 4-8 beers for $15-$50. It's getting rediculous...

BTW, "IPS" is a great name for this "problem". I have not heard that before.
  35. BlackDragon

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't have access to any except possibly La Folie.
  36. Sounds like an excellent time for you to get into lagers.