1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

option to buy Stone 3 liter Double Bastard and Escondidian

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PleiadesUnite, Mar 10, 2012.

1. PleiadesUnite

PleiadesUnite Zealot (85) Oregon Jan 25, 2010

I could buy these two beers today, i'm just curious is it worth it to buy them. Opinions?

2. Eurytos

Eurytos Aficionado (140) Texas Dec 3, 2010

value for money, probably not. For something cool to have, possibly.

3. PleiadesUnite

It would be more for the ”coolness” factor

4. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

If you were going to have a relatively large party with people who would like good beer, then I would go for it. Besides that, you'll never have a good way to open it.

Lantern likes this.
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

This would be a good avatar for you:

[​IMG]

robinsmv, cavedave, naloxone and 5 others like this.
  6. Think big, buy now.

7. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (345) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

I'd pass on the 15th Anniversary Escondidian. I can't imagine it aging very gracefully, it even says on the bottle to enjoy fresh. I would totally buy the Double Bastard though, it'll age well so you won't have to worry so much about finding a good time to open it.

8. There have been rumors that the rubber seals on the swingtop degrade pretty bad over time on these big bottles.

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  9. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (270) California Aug 19, 2011

those can be replaced :)

15th is still being poured at stone so buy it now drink it now though. double bastard is a good buy. and if you ever come to california you can refill it. the anniversary 3ls are cool because they are only made every 5 years

GrindFatherBob likes this.
  10. I just cracked at 15 the other day and it's still great.

11. I've thought about snatching a double bastard. Going for around 75 to 85$ I think. I mostly want to refill it with homebrew though. I dont even really like the db (fresh, anyway).

12. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

I got one for christmas back in 2003 or 2004 and killed it myself on New Years Eve. Tried to get help but everyone else at the party was into light beers. Lets just say that my friends still talk about that night today. I still have the bottle. Here it is below. If you are a fan of the Double Bastard I would get one just to have the bottle. [​IMG].

13. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

Cracked a bottle of 07 in December for my birthday. Well stored since release. It was fine. Less than exciting though, but the event of pulling that big bastard out was both fun and well received by the group. Not a buyer again though for what it's worth.

14. Two weeks ago I had a standard growler fill of Double Bastard with Chipotle. It was hard enough finding a couple fellows to crush it with me, let alone a 3L.

15. PleiadesUnite

Yeah I ended up buying them both that day, couldn't help mah self. I will take the advice and drink the Escondidian sooner than later. The Double I'm going to put in a friend's basement and forget about it for a while.

16. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (735) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

Nice purchases!! Absolutely drink the Escondidian soon. The fresher the better in my opinion....the fruit and hops will pop much better.

PleiadesUnite likes this.
  17. My friend cracked the DB 3ltr he bought 2 yrs ago just the other day and said it was great. Goes for about $85 at my local shop.

18. taalhiker

taalhiker Aficionado (135) Ohio Aug 26, 2008

19. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

What year DB? 2011? I think it is a good vintage. I would buy one if I ran across it being stored properly. I do have a 2010 3L; mine's not as good of a vintage as the 2011, though they are definitely improving with age. I loved 2007 and 2009.

20. PleiadesUnite

Yes 2011, both sat on the shelf since before Christmas. I just had a thought about using the Escondidian for buy-in beer pong

21. muletrane

muletrane Savant (420) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2006

I think it would be pretty cool if you bought one of these.

22. PleiadesUnite

Mine was $90 in Washington, still a good buy IMO. Will be a lot easier to not open than a 4 pack of something.

23. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Its only money and you only live once.:)

Giovannilucano and PleiadesUnite like this.
  24. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (450) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

The best comment one can ever make!

25. I'm a little disenchanted with Stone right now. Wanted to get a sixer of Ruination and saw the 6 pack price in NY to be $19.99, scoffed at that, came home to PA and it was $17.99!! (WTF). Really? It's a really good beer but at that price, I'm gonna pass, too many others that are just as good and better for less money.

wcintula likes this.
  26. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Jesus, that's expensive. I'm pretty sure a sixer at my shop is something like $14.

27. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Now this scares me as I have been sitting on a 3L bottle of Mad Elf for about 15 months now, and wasn't planning on opening it till Christmas.

28. A 3 liter bottle of Double Bastard sounds like the start to a great night. I had a pour of the 15th on draft the other day, and to me it's already fallen off a bit from it's release last year.

29. $14 is more tolerable. I was really blown away by the $17.99 and $19.99 sixer price, I don't remember it being that expensive. Here, at that price, Stone can pretty much kiss 'ma butt. A very tasty beer but the most expensive IPA sixer I've seen to date. If I could get a sixer of Ruination that was ÜBER fresh, I'd pay the high price tag every now and then. Unfortunately, just about every one I've had in the bottle on the east coast has been less than memorable. (However, there's a bottle shop in Manchester, NH that always seemed to have über fresh Ruination for some reason...would always buy from them on business trips and be blown away by the freshness.

30. confirmed. I've seen them cracked and oozing.

31. I just won one I these at a charity auction for $40. Who's ready for a big pour?

32. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I've always wanted a 3L Double Bastard, but that's just the price scares me off. I think I'd rather spend a touch more for a 3L Consecration or Supplication.

33. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (310) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

Bought the 3 liter before I tried it on impulse tried it days later and realize I had made a mistake not a bad beer just not a good investment. Haven't had a whole lot of black IPAs that I would take over... much of anything just not my favorite style. Had they done tree liters of 16 this year... I don't know if I'd die or not but I would love to try and drink 3 liters of that. Holy shit is that a great beer!

34. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

If you're planning on aging the bottle, the 3L is the way to go. More volume = better aging. This is the next best thing to getting a 1/6 keg and keeping it in your cellar. I'd suggest putting that Double Bastard in a cool place where you never see it and letting it age as long as possible and using it for a special occasion.

I buy a few 1.75L bottles of Anchor Steam Christmas Ale every year and save them for opening for Christmases in the future. They age wonderfully in that big bottle. Granted that's $17 or so a bottle, but I digress. :D

35. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

$90 for a bottle you're not going to drink? Tell you what...I'll sell you an empty one for $75. Looks the same...$15 savings!

36. I only buy it rarely and when I can find a fresh 6er. I bought a case last year that I found 2 weeks old at Shangy's for around $55, but $17.99 at Wegs for a 6er.

37. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

IOM & YOLO

38. alamode

alamode Savant (330) Massachusetts Mar 25, 2007

Popped a 2008 Double Bastard last July and it was magnificent....and it could have gone longer. If kept in proper conditions, I wouldn't worry about the seal failing.

39. That's good to know, I've been going to Shangy's for years, best place in the area. Lately I've been buying alot of singles and sixers on business trips and haven't been over there in awhile, I'm due.