Orange County, CA tasting group?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by jpaulsen, Jan 26, 2013.

1. if that long beach one doesn't take off, I'm down

2. I would be interested in this as well! I live in North Orange close to Anaheim. I can host as well, and could have 30-40 people or more really(as long as it's not raining). I'm open to any dates really!

3. j47paco

j47paco Savant (400) California Dec 19, 2010 Verified

I am also interested. As mentioned earlier, Out of the Park Pizza is a good option as host.

kmatlack and blguillen like this.
  4. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Savant (475) California May 19, 2011 Verified

Bootleggers Brewery is bottle share friendly

5. they're moving to their new facilities by the end of february...though I'm sure the new place will have more room and still be bottle share friendly

6. I like the idea of Out of the Park Pizza (I've never been but have heard good things) or Bootleggers if they're cool with it. This way there is less of an imposition on anyone.

kmatlack, j47paco and cselby like this.
  7. j47paco

I'm at Out of the Park Pizza right now and Dan confirmed that he would be glad to host. A Sunday afternoon (around 3) would work best. He's offering up February 17th. Any takers?

8. I'll be in SF at SF Beer Week :(

9. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

17th should be doable for me

10. Count me in. Had to stay in corona since November but I'm moving back to the Huntington Beach area in a month

11. cselby

cselby Aficionado (135) California Sep 14, 2012

I'm in for the 17th. Should we create a google doc spreadsheet so people can enter what they are bringing as to avoid duplicates?

12. RedBeeron

Probably in the minority, but I actually don't mind dupes. Beats slamming the bottom of the bottle in hopes of a 1/2oz pour.

jp7161 and j47paco like this.
  13. j47paco

Personally, I prefer the element of surprise.

jp7161 and kmatlack like this.
  14. cselby

Very true. Scratch the spreadsheet idea. Are we open to all styles here?

15. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Savant (410) California Jan 7, 2013 Verified

Spreadsheets are nice to see, but fuck it. bring what you're gonna bring and enjoy what everyone brings.

16. j47paco

I like the idea of being open to all styles and making new friends at this tasting. Hopefully, we can make it a somewhat regular thing and get more specific on styles at future bottle shares.

17. cselby

Sounds perfect! Really looking forward to making some new friends and cracking some good stuff at the shares.

18. RedBeeron

Same, somuchso that I just blindly reach into my cellar and grab the first things I touch. Boy was I embarrassed when I showed up with a batch 1 budlight platinum. Totally ruined my vertical.

cselby and j47paco like this.
  19. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

Is this still on? It's a week away and no talk for a few weeks. If it's on I'll be there.

20. RedBeeron

Same, though I'll probably be working at the 3pm start time and roll up a little later. Hopefully people stick around

21. APreacher

APreacher Savant (305) California Jun 6, 2012

Where/when? CN please..
    Nick. Keep me posted , kthxbye

22. I am down for this event. I live in Dana Point, and I need some beer friends. All my real friends drink nothing but Mexican Lagers, and they like it. La Sirena would also be a good place for a tasting sometime, I'm pretty sure the owner doesn't care, and they have the best taplist in Laguna.

blguillen likes this.
  23. I hear ya man... All my friends rock bud light, coors light, or corona haha. I get the standard wtf is this stuff response all the time.

also, where the hell in DP? I grew up off of Niguel and Del Avion....

24. karink

karink Aficionado (190) California Nov 28, 2009 Verified

My husband and I would love to go! especially since the last bottle share in LB never happened, the host flaked

25. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

Out of the Park Pizza was mentioned for Sunday February 17th at 3:00 P.M. That was what I was specifically questioning. I talked to jp and he needs more time to arrange for hostings. March or April worked better for him. Either way we're still on for our normal 3rd Thursday gathering.

blguillen likes this.
  26. RedBeeron

Where/when on the 21st? You, jp, and I still need to grab a beer.

27. j47paco

I just re-confirmed with the host. The bottle share at Out of the Park Pizza is still on for this coming Sunday 2/17 at 3pm. It will be open to all styles, and hopefully the start of something that we can do on a regular basis (monthly?). Those of you that plan on going, please post or BM me with any questions so we can have an idea of how large the group will be. Looking forward to good beers and meeting those of you that attend. Cheers!

-Juan

Out of the Park Pizza
    5638 E. La Palma Ave
    Anaheim, Ca 92807

28. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Savant (410) California Jan 7, 2013 Verified

I'm down for the this weekend. So what's the bottle share amount? I figure I'll bring two bottles

29. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (295) California Sep 10, 2011

I reckon it wouldn't be prudent to bring a bomber of Rustic Rye or Hop Stoopid? haha.

I'd like to go, but won't have time this weekend.

30. j47paco

I think it's really gonna be pretty informal, and 2 bottles will be plenty (if not more than enough).

31. cselby

My gf and I are still confirmed.. Will probably bring 2-3 750s and a bomber. Looking forward to it!

32. APreacher

APreacher Savant (305) California Jun 6, 2012

I have a big brewing day planned for Sunday and wont be able to attend. Hopefully I can make the next one.
    Otherwise, see you next Thur.

33. "

I hope you guys have a blast and I am looking forward to the next one!

34. Would a Growler be sufficient?

35. I live off Alcazar and PCH. Next to Carlos Mexican restaurant, right where PCH turns into 2 one ways. Grew up in Three Arch Bay though.

36. Sweet deal man... I used to go to Carlos' all the time. Never tried their advertised lobster dinner though ahaha.
    ohhh 3 arch... easily my favorite beach in southern california.

37. j47paco

I don't think anybody would complain about a fresh growler of something tasty :)

38. Stay away from the Carlos Lobster. Fishy as all get out. And Three Arch Bay is the best beach in Southern California.

39. haha thanks for the advice! It always seemed kind of like a bad idea... but there were so many signs up for it, I almost thought I needed to.

40. kmatlack

kmatlack Savant (350) California Mar 29, 2010

A word of advice to you tasters out there heading to OOTP sunday.

The bottle shares at OOTP bring in a ridiculous amount of beer. The first time I went to one, I made sure to try every single beer and by the end of the night I was shitfaced and didn't go to class for 2 days afterwards. I guess the last bottle being chocolate rain split like 5 ways was the icing on the cake.

The second time around, I only tried the beers I hadn't had before as did everyone at my table. It ensured that everyone who was trying that beer for the first time, had a chance to taste it. Since everything there is so informal, (I'm not dogging this style of tasting at all) bottles get opened and passed around pretty quick and there is nothing worse than someone handing you a bottle of the dregs or looking to find that one bottle you wanted to try and finding it empty.

Also bring in homebrew if you've got it. My cousin and I brought in our citra IPA last time and got a ton of feedback. One guy and his friend even said they thought it was the best beer at the tasting. Maybe they had a few too many and were just trying to be nice, but it was a solid confidence booster.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

-Kyle

j47paco likes this.