1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Orange County- Craft beer Geocache site established

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by kmatlack, Jan 24, 2013.

1. kmatlack

kmatlack Savant (340) California Mar 29, 2010

Greetings fellow southern California beer enthusiasts,

I got bored the other day and went on a hike in a favorite spot that I frequent in Yorba Linda. I got to thinking that it would be cool to have a craft brew geocache site up there. I'm not sure wether this will catch on or not, so I just got a small ammo can, put 2 limited release/not available in CA 12oz bottles into it and buried it in the ground under shallow earth to keep the sun off it.

Before I go any further just know that this is not a registered geocache site so it is not likely to be run across by hikers/bikers; it's not as if I left a 12 pack of coors light sitting out in the open for a group of kids to find. I know you aren't supposed to put ammo, alcohol, dangerous materials, ect. into sites but if it is just for us BA's, I really don't see this as being much different than trading. (When was the last time you asked your trading partner how old he was to verify he was older than 21?)

With that being said, if this catches on, I'd be more than happy to establish more sites in different areas in and around OC. If people enjoy this, and I start finding my sites disappear because someone got butthurt with me doing this, I'll just go put more out. After spending several years in the Army, I have quite an extensive ammo can collection and its also likely I have more time at my disposal to do this than most.

If you decide you want to seek this out, know the following:
    -The can contains 2x 12oz bottles (A bomber won't fit!) A rag to keep things dry, and a log book & pen.
    - If you take beers out, put beers in. This does not mean bring 2 cans of PBR and stock the can. Don't be an ass. Put beers in the can that you know others would enjoy. If you take beers and don't leave them just know that beer karma is real.
    -You are looking for disturbed earth with a rock X. Make sure to cover the can back up and put the rock "X" back over the dirt so people know what to look for.
    -This is an easy site to get to, maybe a quarter mile up an established trail then 50 yards off the trail in short grass on a hillside.
    -Have fun!

Trailhead coordinates:
    N 33*54.552'
    W117*46.805'
    +/- 10ft

Site Location:
    N 33*54.517'
    W117*47.155'
    +/- 9ft

If you decide to go and get the beers, post back and let everyone know what you dug up. Who knows, maybe you find some barrel aged Founders in there...

Good luck and happy hiking/mountain biking!

-Kyle

P.S. If I happened to break any rules and this gets locked/deleted, find me on instagram, posting this on there too. IG: kmatlack01

2. This sounds like a cool idea actually .

3. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Savant (250) California Dec 10, 2010

I think you win a prize, this is clever.

4. kmatlack

Go and get it!

5. This is awesome.

6. kmatlack

Just an FYI

This is not exclusive only to people with a GPS.

Google > Type in coordinates > Maps > Scroll over the "Satellite" in the top right corner > Check Terrain > This will show you a good topographical map of the area with an arrow on the site and you can even see the trails leading to it.

"X" on the hillside, you can't miss it.

-Kyle

7. Great idea. I know that someone did a similar urban version of this a few years ago and stashed some beer in the parking lot of Churchill's in San Marcos.

8. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Pretty cool idea. I need to dust off my mountain bike and get her tuned up. I know a great spot at Pacifico Mtn Campground in the San Gabriels that would be a pretty cool to get to.

9. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (330) California Nov 21, 2008

Like I need any more motivation to replace my hiking boots haha

this is a ridic awesome idea, cheers!

10. Used beer?

11. Sounds awesome - we go Geocaching most weekends and those coords are not too far away. May have to go looking for it tomorrow afternoon.

12. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Savant (250) California Dec 10, 2010

If the rain doesn't start up again, I'll pop over there Saturday afternoon as well.

13. kmatlack

Had someone go up there and have a hard time locating the site. I went up there today and it is still there. Just really nice and muddy. :(

You are now looking for a small rock pile and a brown beer bottle sticking up next to it. Usually don't like using unnatural objects to help mark sites, but I didn't bring the bottle in there. Site is under the rock pile.

Hint: If you are within 10-15 meters of a cactus patch off to the right (Facing Yorba Linda) and a cul-de-sac damn near directly in front of you, you are in the right area. ;)

Not on a super steep downslope but it's definitely there.

Enjoy the view!

14. kmatlack

Here is a helpful map.

[​IMG]

15. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Awesome idea OP! I used to do some geocaching with my friends back in high school, would love to set up something like this in my neck of the woods. Now I just wanna go on a beer hike!

xgeneralzodx likes this.
  16. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (270) California Aug 19, 2011

17. This is an awesome idea! I live in all the way up in Wrightwood and we have tons of hiking trails that the girlfriend and I frequent. If people are interested I'll find a suitable container and bury some goodies out there.

18. j47paco

j47paco Savant (370) California Dec 19, 2010

Awesome idea Kyle! :)

19. kmatlack

So due to the lack of interest on this geocache idea, I went up to take the site out of action. When I arrived at the site, I was surprised to find it wasn't as I had left it. Lo and behold, it had some visitors and I pulled these guys out of the ground.

[​IMG]

Pretty stoked to find some solid beers in there!

I guess my question now is: Do you like Bourbon County? o_O

[​IMG]

Then go get it! :cool:

-Kyle

aoampm, j47paco and rm20015 like this.
  20. Kmatlack-

Cool idea with the geocache site, I need to drag my wife up there. Quick question; why LAT/LONG and not MGRS? Just curious, luckily my Garmin will take me to either haha.

21. Just curious, why was the great white covered in dirt? Appears the canister would've held two 12 ouncers.

22. Nvm.. just realized it was a bomber.

23. kmatlack

Trust me, as a person that was in the military and was taught nothing but MGRS, I much much prefer it to lat long. I was worried that if I used MGRS people would look at me like I was crazy.

24. kmatlack

Yup and the rain washed a bit of the dirt away exposing an inch or so of the neck and the cap. I was worried but I cracked it last night and it was awesome.

25. Is this still something that will continue? I think it was a great idea... too much rain for a couple weeks, but keep it up!

26. kmatlack

If people really enjoy the idea and are using the sites than I will keep checking on them and make sure they are maintained as well as establish more around the OC area.

People that are reading this and are interested in a site in their area, post the city you live in and I'll get something going around you.

27. I am down with something like this...I live in the LA County area near Whittier...not sure if that is too far for you or not.

28. The masses might think you were crazy, but us Vet types would be most happy to find all the BCS!

29. If we set one up can we just post the coordinates on the thread and say have at it? or would you prefer for us to set it up and notify you so you can update a site?

30. kmatlack

No man, go make a site! The reason I was doing it is because my cellar is getting too big and if someone decided to not play by the rules and take beers without leaving them, I was willing to restock the site for those of us that like to play fair.

Once you get one made post up the coordinates for everyone.

31. kmatlack

No thats not too far at all. I bet you I can find a cool place in Hellman. I will get back to you...

Hmm. I might have to stash something for you with MGRS coordinates. I'm obviously going to have to make you suck a little bit, but the payoff will be worth it. lol

32. i will be putting one in south orange county soon =)

33. Hmm. I might have to stash something for you with MGRS coordinates. I'm obviously going to have to make you suck a little bit, but the payoff will be worth it. lol[/quote]

I am well versed in "embracing the suck", I WILL find that beer. And for using MGRS I am inclined to leave a certain something from an abbey in Vleteren...Standing by to copy grid...

34. j47paco

j47paco Savant (370) California Dec 19, 2010

[​IMG]
    Went for a hike this morning and stumbled across this treat. I've replaced it with a couple of tasty, non-local seasonals. Get outside, take a hike, find some beer!! Cheers!

35. I am glad people are picking up on this thread and getting out there. Big fan of caching and i will post once I have the south county one up.

36. I have been in South OC 99% of my life, but just moved to Temecula.... I may need to start a South 951/SD county thread. Or just straight up take this thread nationwide like a boss!

37. Would like to see some around the Irvine/Lake Forest area =)

38. go find a good spot out in foothill and get one started.... there are so many good trails and secret pathways out by irvine lake, and the foothill ranch area over by Oakley and stuff.

39. Already in the works my friend. I live in the woods of Lake Forest and already have some great spots. I was just responding to his "if people have requests for areas" message.

jpaulsen likes this.
  40. my bad man... sorry to come off like a prick. just be awesome and put one in a bag with some cement shoes and sink it at the bottom of the ocean or a lake. Everyone could use some adventure!

but seriously, you have the best location because you have access to so many spots.