1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ordering beers from Belgium

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LiquidCourage, Jan 16, 2013.

1. LiquidCourage

LiquidCourage Member

Can you order beer from international online stores and get it delivered to any state? I know Massachusetts and Rhode Island do not allow domestic alcohol deliveries, but I could have sworn I read that did not apply to imports. Anyone have any insight?
  2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo Member

I've been getting shipments from Belgium to California with out problem. Seems they are hip to things and mark the package as glassware.
    Willbfun likes this.
  3. khofer3839

khofer3839 Member

Care to share specifically from where you place your orders? I never thought of doing this but if the cost of shipping is not too high I may try.
  4. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Member

Yes please, do share.
  5. yamar68

yamar68 Member

I routinely place orders with etregourmet and I live in a state that doesn't allow domestic alcohol shipments - i.e. letspour, halftimebeverage, etc.
    Bitterbill, bluejacket74 and BobZ like this.
  6. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Member

I triple this motion.
    acevenom and airforbes1 like this.
  7. kona650

kona650 Member

I've bought some beer from belgium before as well with no problems!!! Shipping can be pretty high though so i just try to buy more bottles at once to make it worth the shipping check out belgium beer shop.com
  8. LiquidCourage

LiquidCourage Member

Thanks! I'll try and order tonight. Ballpark shipping costs?
  9. yamar68

yamar68 Member

I forget the exact figures but basically there are stages of fixed shipping prices so up to a certain weight will be one fixed price, and so on. You want to play around with your order so that you get the most out of the shipping cost.

Ballpark though, it depends on the box obviously but last time I got a case of 375ml Cantillon and they ended up being around 12 bucks a piece after shipping.
  10. Etan

Etan Member

I made an order from EtreGourmet a couple of days ago. Shipping ended up being 80 euros for 11 bottles and a glass.
    OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  11. mjn78

mjn78 Member

Depends on which site you use, but I agree with yamar, everything is based on weight, so you have to keep adding bottles until you trip the next category of shipping costs. I've ordered from Etre Gourmet and Belgiuminabox before and their shipping costs were something like this...

Etre: up to 2 x 750ml bottles for 40 Euro
    up to 5 x 750ml bottles for 60 Euro
    up to 12 x 750ml bottles for 78 Euro
    any more than that and it shoots up to 150+ Euro to ship

Belgiuminabox: up to 5kg for 31 Euro
    up to 10kg for 62 Euro
    up to 20kg for 93 Euro
    up to 30kg for 124 Euro

With the current exchange rate of about 1.3 dollars per Euro, the shipping costs can be a killer. And depending on your credit card, they may charge you an extra 3% foreign transaction fee. Every time I've ordered from Europe, they've shipped via USPS. Also may want to wait for the spring thaw before paying that much to ship a bunch of relatively low ABV lambics to New England. Hope this helps.
    LiquidCourage and Gilmango like this.
  12. JosephThompson

JosephThompson Member

Out of curiosity, how many days between order submitted and delivery have you seen on average?
  13. Jonada

Jonada Member

Belgium in a box does this as well. My last order arrived with no issue. Took about a month and a half to get here though.
  14. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

One box had Yeast samples written on it.
  15. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

To Ca it's 60 or 78 Euros for a decent box although I always play with it to make sure it's 60
  16. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Member

OP, you are in RI. So am I. I have ordered from Belgium a few times- no issues so far.
  17. mmikey8

mmikey8 Member

I've used belgianshop.com before. Took a while to receive and shipping was killer. Got a bunch of good stuff though that I haven't been able to find. $320 for a Westy Brick :eek:
  18. LiquidCourage

LiquidCourage Member

Thanks for the help everyone. Now I just have to figure out what I want to get!
  19. yamar68

yamar68 Member

Usually around one week.
    chanokokoro likes this.
  20. jtdolla911

jtdolla911 Member

I'm in Mass, and was going to try from either belgium in a box or etregourmet, has anyone tried and succeeded? I know they can't ship with USPS here, it would get returned
    BobZ likes this.
  21. BobZ

BobZ Member

I have ordered many, many times both directly from the man in your avatar (Struise Webshop) as well as from Etre Gourmet. I live in MA and have never had any issue.

In the old forums there were a few folks who posted that their package was seized by customs (in which case you lose, Etre makes you acknowledge this when you order now), but I believe these were boxes on the "larger" size and they were seized in a NYC customs office if memory serves.
    jtdolla911 likes this.
  22. Jonada

Jonada Member

I recently ordered from both Etre and Belgiuminabox and both arrived just fine. Prices and shipping costs were similar. The only real difference was that Belgiuminabox took about 2 weeks longer to ship.
  23. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Member

I've ordered from both BelgianShop.com and Etre Gourmet (ordered with them most recently this past December) before and didn't have issues with either one (and I had to go to the Post Office to pick up both boxes). But I'm in Ohio so I don't know if that helps much. Also, the shipping with Etre Gourmet was quicker by a week or 2 compared to the shipping through BelgianShop.com.
  24. jtdolla911

jtdolla911 Member

Thanks for the help! And yea, Urbain was a cool dude to hang out with. Met him at the Festival in Worcester and talked for like half an hour and he kept feeding me beer. Good time
  25. Flight0011

Flight0011 Member

How long did it take you to get yours? I ordered a box back in December and the status is still "In Customs" Your right though, the shipping cost more then the beer... :(
  26. mmikey8

mmikey8 Member

If I remember correctly, close to 2 months.
  27. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Member

Etre Gourmet Question, to follow my experience thus far

I just placed my first order this week. and was looking to get a little info based on my experience thus far

1. placed order tuesday (no mention of payment when placing order) email them to ask about payment
    2. Get invoice from them on wednesday morning, with errors, email them back they fix it and i pay
    3. wednesday night get a call from credit card fraud protection to verify my last 3 transactions

When i log onto the site, they don't give you an order history, which would be nice.

So does this timing follow other peoples? when should I expect to get a tracking number? and roughly how long from placing order to arrival is the norm?

thanks in advance
  28. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

Umm - none of that sounds good at all.

When you order on Etre, you pay immediately via PayPal. You also immediately get an order confirmation emailed to you, and your order history is definitely stored on the site.

I don't mean to freak you out, but this sounds eerily familiar to what happened with the Struise Web Shop 2 years ago (and I was one of the people scammed there).

What is the email address they sent you an invoice from? (Feel free to BM if you don't want to discuss publicly)
    Clonies720 likes this.
  29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo Member

When I've ordered from Etre, I have found that some operating systems don't work with their automated payment system. My Windows 7 works, but my XP doesn't. I normally pay via Paypal. I always get a order confirmation. Sometimes I get a shipment notification. The order history on their web site never has real time info. ship times very from 7 day to 18 days. Never have had a broken bottle.
  30. papaholmz

papaholmz Member

I met Kurt (the owner of belgiuminabox.com) while on vacation in Belgium this past November. He drove me up to St. Sixtus abbey and helped me procure my 2 cases of Westy 12 (he even took me to Cantillon and I met Jean Van Roy). I paid 93 euros per box (3 boxes) for him to ship the 2 cases of Westy 12 (plus some other stuff I bought from him) back to South Carolina, but I didn't have to do any of the packing myself or rent a car to go to St. Sixtus abbey so overall I was extremely pleased. Kurt is an awesome guy and I think the shipping prices that he charges are very fair; I was with him when he dropped the boxes off at BePost (Belgium's post office) and believe me, he's not making a profit off the shipping. It took about 3 weeks from the time we dropped the boxes off to the time they arrived at my front door. He did tell me that some times boxes do get stuck at customs and that certain states are worse than others. Overall I highly recommend belgiuminabox.com and Kurt is an awesome guy.
  31. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Member

I second that. He does seem like a really cool guy, although I've never met him. :) I ordered from belgiuminabox.com recently. Kurt informed me that he just happened to be taking a trip to Cantillon in a day or two after I first contacted him by email with a couple of questions. He asked me if I wanted a Cantillon hooded sweatshirt and/or a Cantillon decanter added to my order since he was heading there anyhow. I jumped at the offer, as I've wanted both for a while. He included the sweatshirt at the same price that Cantillon is now selling them in the new E-store and it seemed he only charged me cost for the decanter as well. When I unpacked my recent order, I also discovered he included a new lambic basket at no cost. Very cool, indeed.
  32. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Member

bringing this back to life.... Anyone in So Cal want to split a Etregourmet or Belgiuminabox order? Save some cash on shipping and get some epic beers. I am in the Temecula area, so IE, OC, SD counties would be preferable.
  33. bccocx

bccocx Member

I just received an order from Struiss. 4 out of 12 bottles were damaged. The box was a nasty mess. Broken Westy 8 and Pannepot. I probably should have gone with UPS shipping, but it was significantly more expensive. Customs also had the box for 5 days.

I've never had a bad experience with Etre, though.
  34. papaholmz

papaholmz Member

Yeah, everything arrived in great condition from belgiuminabox.com as well.
  35. millelacsmark

millelacsmark Member

I just placed my 1st order with Etre Gourmet. Everything seemed to go fine except that when I paid I did not get billed for shipping. What did I do wrong? Help!
    jarrgal and dar482 like this.
  36. JakerLou

JakerLou Member

I'm thinking about ordering from Etre myself and I just went on their site to start an order. One thing I noticed, during the checkout process they give you three options for delivery. One is in store pickup, one is ship later, and the other is ship to the US. The first two options are 0 Euros. I had to specifically select one of the three options. Maybe you missed the shipping selection step? It looks like it would be easy to miss, it isn't very clear that you need to select one.

I'd try the "contact us" link and see if they can fix your order.
  37. millelacsmark

millelacsmark Member

Yo
    You are correct, I somehow selected ship later. I contacted them to try to get this changed to ship now.

Thanks for your help.
  38. LIQUORBARREL

LIQUORBARREL Member

Kurt from Belgianinabox has some unbelievable customer service! Love me some Fou Fonne!
    papaholmz likes this.
  39. millelacsmark

millelacsmark Member

Update: Robert from Etre Gourmet emailed me right back, I paid for shipping. Problem solved.
    Great customer service.
  40. JakerLou

JakerLou Member

That's good news. Glad it worked out. I think I may pull the trigger myself.