1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ordering beers from Belgium

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by LiquidCourage, Jan 16, 2013.

1. I'll second that... really awesome guy!

2. I thought I would mention that I live in the Boston area, placed an order at Etre, and the box was waiting for me at the post office a week and a half later. No problems at all - came quickly, fully intact, everything was packaged phenomenally well...no complaints and would do it again.

3. dmfc906

dmfc906 Aficionado (130) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

What can you expect to pay for a decent sized order in shipping to the US?

4. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

On Etre shipping is 78 euro for 33lbs of bottles, which is 11 750's or like 20 375's. I believe BiaB is more expensive, but they also seem to have a somewhat better selection, or at least the rarer stuff lasts longer.

5. It was 60 euros ($78.30) to ship, and I received four 750ml bottles and basically two 375ml bottles. That's very expensive, but I wanted to clarify that I bought four bottles of Cantillon, one Westvleteren 12, and one La Vermontoise, totaling 57.32 euros ($74.78) for the bottles themselves.

So the way I looked at it is I spent about $153.08, or $25.51 per bottle, which is probably at US market cost or less than what they would cost in the US if they were even available here. Given that pretty much none of them are available unless you have amazing contacts, I was more than happy to spend $25.51 for each of Westy 12, four different Cantillon products, and La Vermontoise.

6. BiaB is definitely more expensive. I've played with the math many, many times on both and BiaB always comes out to much more. The actual cost of their products is generally more than Etre (from what I've compared, which is mostly Fantome, Cantillon and Westy products).

For example, Westvleteren 12 (33ml) is 9.27 euros ($12.10) at Etre, and 15.00 euros ($19.57) at BiaB. Fantome "Boo" is 6.5 euros ($8.48) at Etre, and 8.5 euros ($11.09) at BiaB. I would guess that this is because BiaB sets prices that come closer to matching the US market, while Etre sets prices closer to the actual cost of these beers in Belgium...but I could be dead wrong.

7. ...and apologies if all the the number-throwing is killing anyone's buzz. :)

8. dmfc906

dmfc906 Aficionado (130) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

78 euro is just the shipping? oof.

9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I've had good luck with Etre Gourmet and Belgium In A Box. I *used* to order from Belgian Shop but their prices are out of line compared to the other 2.

10. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Gotta spend money to make 'loons.

ASUBeer likes this.
  11. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

Belgian Shop wants $50 for Cantillons that cost $18 in Belgium. Yeah, no thanks Euro gougers!

Bitterbill likes this.