1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Oregon - Portland & Bend Recommendations Needed

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by langfot99, Nov 13, 2012.

1. My wife and I are planning beercation to the Portland area and want to hit up as many breweries & brew pubs as possible. Plan on staying in Portland (2 nights), Bend (1-2 nights), Eugene (maybe), drive up/down the coast, back to Portland for another night, and hit up everything in between.

Any recommendations on must visits and ones to avoid would be greatly appreciated. We can usually hit up 4-7 in a day but once we find one we like it is tough to leave.

Favorite beer styles are:
    Pale Ale
    IPA
    IIPA
    Stouts
    Porters

We can skip the Belgium style breweries.

2. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

What about Germany style, France style, or China style? ;)

digita7693 likes this.
  3. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Here's an rather ambitious 1 day "crash course" that we did last time we had some visitors in town. As luck would have it, they weren't interested in Belgian-style beer either, so we left off a bunch of places like Upright and Cascade that most people would consider "must visit" spots.
    • taxi to APEX/Beer mongers (they're across the street from one another)
    • Bus #7 to Hair of the Dog
    • Bus #4 to Bailey's Taproom
    • Streetcar to Full Sail Pilsner Room (trust me on this one. Try to get there between 3-6 for happy hour)
    • Streetcar to Deschutes
    • Bus #20 to Belmont Station
    • Walk 5 blocks south to Horse Brass Pub
    • taxi back to the hotel
    Depending on where your hotel is you may be able to skip the taxi rides in favor of buses and do this whole route with only a $5 TriMet day pass.

4. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,045) Washington Sep 24, 2007

In Bend, Boneyard, Bend Brewing and the Deschutes Bond Street pub are on my must hit list. I like Silver Moon as well, but opinions vary. Several new breweries are up and running in Bend since my last visit, so you'll be able to check them out too.

flexabull likes this.
  5. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

I'll skip PDX recommendations since they've been coverd ad nauseam.

In Bend, you MUST HIT Boneyard, particularly since you say you like IPA & IIPA. RPM & Hop Venom are must-try beers for any hophead. Plan ahead though, as they are only open til 6pm and only take cash. You'll only be able to get tasters/growler fills there, but you should be able to find their beers on tap all around Bend too.

I liked Crux Fermentation Project quite a bit as welll. Lots of different styles available there, so you should be happy. Didn't try the food, but it looked pretty good. The original Deschutes pub is also worth visiting, but I wouldn't recommend it if you've already hit the PDX pub. Not that it's not worthwhile, but with such a limited amount of time, you'll want to maximize your potential number of breweries.

I think 10 Barrel is worth a stop too, especially if you're looking for somewhere to eat dinner. I thought Silver Moon was okay. Pretty dive-y for a craft brewpub, but they have some decnt beers and good prices.

Spaceloaf and flexabull like this.
  6. rjfarel

rjfarel Initiate (0) Washington Jul 1, 2009

In Bend, I also recommend Bend Brewing. They have some excellent beers.

7. go on the tour at Deschutes in bend. going in the hop cooler is pretty kickass.

8. Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind Belgian style beers but my wife absoultly hates thems, she is more into IPA's and IIPA's. A happy wife is a happy life, or should I say a hoppy wife is a happy life.

9. In Bend I'd definitely hit up Crux, Boneyard and 10 Barrel.