Oskar Blues finally coming to MN

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by MNPikey, Jan 3, 2014.

1. jimmah120

jimmah120 Savant (355) Minnesota Feb 21, 2012

"prove it, bro" *puffs out chest*

McRyan likes this.
  2. I had Ten-Fidy for the first time in AZ about a year ago and absolutely did not understand the hype. Nothing special about this beer to me, maybe it's a different story on tap. Does anyone think 3 Floyd's will ever receive distribution in MN?

3. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

How many other really good RIS can you get year round? I like 10fidy a lot, I think it is very good, is it Darkness good? No. But it is leaps ahead of Old Rasputin which is the only other RIS I can find year round (although clown shoes bombers are starting to be easier to find in my hood).

4. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

I don't know. Yeti and Dark Truth are two that come to mind, for a year round RIS that is available in the area.

Year round availability doesn't matter for big stouts. If you dig a particular RIS buy it. It ain't gonna go bad. Shit, it may damn well get better.

5. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Anyone know if this will hit Rochester today?

6. Yawn

SwinginParty likes this.
  7. MattyG85

MattyG85 Champion (800) Minnesota Aug 31, 2010

Anyone know what the prices are for Ten Fidy? In Wisconsin its like 15 for a four pack.

8. Not sure what part of town you shop....

Zipps 612.333.8686
    Four Firkins 952.938.2847
    Ale Jail 651.698.9464
    Princeton's 763.559.3257

All posted they have Oskar Blues today.
    Can you please post your findings for the rest of us lazy bastards?:cool:;)

Chaz likes this.
  9. MNBEERFAN

MNBEERFAN Zealot (95) Minnesota Nov 11, 2012

South Lyndale $14.99/4 pack I was told.

10. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I'd bet all I have on No if given the chance. In theory they would come back to IA (left in 2007 or so) if they did anything but I doubt that ever happens either.

11. We had 3 Floyd's in the late 90's in MN. I stopped holding my breath on their return a long time ago.
    But back to the topic, Oskar Blues is here and it's mighty tasty. I'm so happy it's here.

McRyan and pdoran10 like this.
  12. aliving1

aliving1 Savant (275) Minnesota Aug 3, 2011

I am not sure if it will. I might be wrong, but I think the Original Gravity group of distributors doesn't distro to Roch. So the closest would possibly be Owatonna, Northfield, and Red Wing. I hope I'm wrong though.

13. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (470) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

15$ a 4pack for ten fidy.... ouch.

14. The name is a bit misleading. Shouldn't they be charging, ya know, $10.50?

15. bflattum

bflattum Aficionado (105) Minnesota Feb 11, 2012

Isnt that less than Casanova? Still, though...ouch.

16. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (365) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

Cost per oz is actually in-line or less than something than most compairables in bombers plus its what a couple dollars more than Founder's RIS 4-packs? I don't think the price is out of line.

17. bflattum

bflattum Aficionado (105) Minnesota Feb 11, 2012

Ouch refers to how much of my money will be thrown the way of OB, $15 at a time...

AnalogErik likes this.
  18. i know you're kidding but the "ten fidy" does reference the 10.5% abv in case some were wondering.

19. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Yes, but...people are always complaining about the cost of bombers, so saying a four-pack is comparable to the cost of a bomber isn't exactly a complement! Add me to the folks who may pick up a single of Ten Fidy once in a while. If the cost were closer to Founders RIS, I'd probably pick them up more often.

It'll be interesting to see if Oskar Blues sells amidst our ever-expanding choices once the newness wears off.

20. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (365) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

Should be noted I was using a year around bomber like Yeti and a lower price point Stone RIS at about $9-10 per bomber as price comps, I think people complain less about that price point than $15-20+ price point.

21. I thought it was some weird beer amalgamation of Oscar and Dale's love for Pearl Jam's 10 and Fidy Cent.

22. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I like that ten fidy is in 12 ounce cans. A bomber of 10-12% beer is too much for me on a week night but 12 ounces is just fine.

And, it's really good.

nickapalooza86, Mealhouse and McRyan like this.
  23. Bunuelian

Bunuelian Savant (425) Minnesota Mar 22, 2013

Ten Fidy is $13.99 at Ale Jail; cheapest I've seen around town.

opwog likes this.
  24. Highly Doubtful, both FFF and DFH were previously in MN ( I believe with the same distributor) and left the state with a pretty bad taste. I begged Nick & Charlie the last time they were in B&TB with Todd and Linda... But I could tell that it was pretty much a futile endeavor.

25. Why did they leave MN on bad terms? With our proximity to FFF and their recent collaborations with Surly I would think MN would be an ideal state to distribute.

26. From what I understand (at least for DFH), the distributor they were working with went belly-up while owing them a very substantial amount of money, and DFH has yet to recover it. As it stands, if a distributor wants to pick them up they will need to pay off that owed money.

27. BrettHead

Never knew they were in MN too, oops! :oops:

28. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

That's what I don't get, why avoid MN completely just because of one shitty distributor who is no longer even in business?

29. nograz

nograz Aficionado (210) Minnesota Oct 30, 2013

Anyone know just how much money? Maybe Something could be arranged where people who wanted them back can donate money to pay the tab to get them back?

30. deadbody

If what I heard was true (and I have no reason to doubt it as the person involved did the same thing to Pretty Things, and a few other breweries I've heard) it is well into 5 figures.
    DFH and FFF may at some point revisit MN if they feel that they won't get screwed again, but there are a lot of other states where the people involved haven't forced them to drop the soap, so MN may be waiting a while.

31. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Sketchy shit. Do we have particularly shifty distributors here in MN? I heard that we had other folks in that sector that were less than honest.

32. Douggo

Douggo Savant (295) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Seems odd to get screwed by one company, then refuse to do business with another company unless that company repays the other company's debt.

Ish1, joelwlcx, Mnmaverick and 3 others like this.
  33. deadbody

My guess is it has more to do with "We got screwed and are out a bunch of money with no way to recoup thanks to MN laws, fuck that state"

There may also be franchise agreements still in place that prevent them from working with someone else. Sucks but possible.

GeezLynn and Chaz like this.
  34. Chaz

Chaz Champion (845) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

From my own experience, folks employed at that level in the booze biz in Minnesota are no more and no less shifty than those employed elsewhere. I put most of this down to human nature. :(

35. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Ah, the MN laws...now that wouldn't surprise me one bit. It's all so clear now.

sacrelicio likes this.
  36. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Yup, $14.99 for Ten Fidy here at Haskell's White Bear Lake area. Ouch, solid beer but it'd be easier to choke down if they were 16oz cans. Oh well I'll pickup a single somewhere to get my fix.

37. I don't see how anything is clear. The conversation thus far is hearsay and conjecture.

SipIt likes this.
  38. Lionel Hutz: "Well, Your Honor. We’ve plenty of hearsay and conjecture. Those are kinds of evidence."

39. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Ha, my intentions were to express if the MN laws have anything to do with it(which is speculative to begin with) the entire situation will be about as clear as a dirty diaper - meaning I was being sarcastic.

40. BrettHead

Lol, man I wish he was still with us...