1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Oskar Blues finally coming to MN

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by MNPikey, Jan 3, 2014.

1. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (220) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Just had my first can of Ten Fidy surprised by the thin mouthfeel. What are others thoughts?
  2. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

$10 a 6-pack for Dale's or Mamma's. It is good beer but not good enough at that price to make me buy it over something local.
  3. Dale's Pale Ale is a below average beer, IMO. Plenty of WAY better Pale Ale's around these parts than to be up in arms over the fact they graced us with their presence, and for $10.00 a sixer. These uh.....January releases will be here well into April. Not a fan, and I would expect more from a beer that is so highly regarded. Stone, Goose Island, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada....all these readily available pedestrian Pale Ales are far better, and cheaper. Sorry for offending any Fan boys but I gotta call a turd a turd. Not even fishing quality, I'd rather drink a watery Premium Light or Keystone.
  4. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

If you would really rather have a Keystone Light than a Dale's Pale Ale please kindly leave this webpage forever. I understand that people have opinions, I have a ton of them! But what is with all the bashing in the midwest forum lately? If you don't like something it's totally cool to say so but you don't have to be a jerk about it either.
    herman77 likes this.
  5. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

Having my first Ten Fidy in close to a year, on tap at Pig n Fiddle. Freezing outside, bebop in the bar and fireplace in the back.
  6. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I think you should start a new topic with just this question.

I had a conversation with a guy at a local liquor store the other day & he was saying much the same thing about negativity in the Midwest forums. My response was: well, why not? I mean, it was easy to be all sunshine & roses five years ago when all we had to talk about was Surly, Fitgers, Town Hall, & Barley Johns (or pretty close to it). With a new brewpub/brewery popping up just about every day, & outside breweries coming into the state frequently, some of their stuff is simply not good (& I'm not talking specifically about Oskar Blues, I'm pretty neutral on them as a whole).

So IMHO, it's harder to be relentlessly optimistic in a market that's seeing more & more mediocrity as the craft beer market continues to rapidly expand. And the forums simply reflect people's opinions of that basic fact.
    Seefeldt and McRyan like this.
  7. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (730) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

I thought that one of the advantages to canning is that it costs less to ship than glass. How in the world does a pale ale cost $11 a sixer?
  8. jimmah120

jimmah120 Savant (355) Minnesota Feb 21, 2012

but... dale's pale (even if overpriced) is good
  9. Man it is nice to live in the La Crosse WI area, I have never seen Ten Fidy over 12.99... I still enjoy Old Rasputin more so I only grab it from time to time but either way I am glad to live here....
  10. For all you people talking about prices, a 15$ 4 pack of Ten Fidy is a 6.80 Bomber of a great Imperial stout....
    BeerGoogler and Seefeldt like this.
  11. deadbody

deadbody Savant (335) Minnesota May 10, 2010

Only costs that at an overpriced liquor store. St. Anthony had them for 8.99 a sixer. Bought one, like it, but now that I can get it all the time will hit a rotation with Indeed and others. As long as I can get it fresh
  12. Being negative is one thing, saying Keystone Light is better than Dales Pale is just ridiculous. It's no Saga, but it's pretty damn good. You might even want to try it a second time before saying it's below average. You can argue price with Oskar Blues, but not quality.
    cmannes and Seefeldt like this.
  13. Seefeldt

I think my new Sunday drinking game will be every time some one mentions Saga I take a drink of Saga, so cheers!
    Nivek43 likes this.
  14. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

True to the people on this board, but you might find a different answer in the general population.

False. You might want to read my post again. I said nothing about Dale's being below average. And you might want to take up the "can't argue with the quality" with the guy who actually said that. Just a thought.
  15. Sorry, when I said you I meant him.
  16. Maybe it is time you took off your period underwear, or are those pull-ups?
    joelwlcx likes this.
  17. It's shit beer, and one would expect more from Colorado of all places. You all can get hunkey dory if you want over this stuff but I would rather drink an old can of Pig's Eye Ice.
  18. Seefeldt

19. This thread has got one thing going for it...

Although being slightly more interesting that watching men's figure skating isn't really saying too much.

FYI, I picked up a 12 pack of Dale's Pale for the boat last year for $14 at the Nova. I thought it was pretty good for on the water. Nothing to rave about, but a pretty solid fishing brew, IMO
  20. cmannes

cmannes Savant (375) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Seeing as it's Sunday.

Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, Saga, and... Saga.

Hopefully, I didn't kill you.
  21. Yeah all you fanboys with your Dale's Pale Ale lower back tattoos need to shut up! :rolleyes:

While hyperbole and sarcasm and personal attacks can be entertaining mix it up with useful commentary every once in a while. Welcome to the website, 3 weeks in and already making waves.

On topic, Oscar Blues is fine, a little pricey though. Like most of you I'll grab a four pack of 10fidy a year. I'm looking most forward to tasting some BA 10Fidy on tap at some point and hopefully it will be at Uptown Bulldog so we can sip on some $5.50 pints of it.
    BeerGoogler likes this.
  22. Seefeldt

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!
    cmannes likes this.
  23. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

That's a lot of trips to Aldi. ;)
  24. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

The dude was being about as objective as one could get. Not a jerk at all.

And for what it's worth, BMC will always have better quality and consistency than craft beer. As a group we may subjectively think craft styles are better tasting, but who can argue with someone who wants a sure thing- light, cheap, and alcoholic with few offensive (if any) flavors.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    SwinginParty likes this.
  25. I still have 4 cans in my fridge with a bottle of Saga and the last of my Darkness. Any takers?
  26. Pick me! I will trade you a case of keystone light and a 12 pk of premo lt. That should be pretty close to $4$. In person or you wanna ship first?
    Atoneworks and herman77 like this.
  27. I love Dales pail ale
  28. Atoneworks

Atoneworks Aspirant (25) Wisconsin Aug 24, 2013

Good comment, bro.
  29. McRyan likes this.
  30. grantcty

grantcty Aficionado (235) Minnesota Feb 17, 2008

Kegs have already hit at some places. Lone Oak Grill in Eagan tapped Mama's Pils today with Ten Fidy up next.
  31. Just Mama's and Fidy so far. Rest roll out next week.
  32. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Any sightings of Old Chub?
  33. Only when I look down.
    opwog likes this.
  34. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Hiiiyooooooo
  35. To be more helpful... I thought I saw some at Liquor Boy the other day and there was definitely some at Haskell's Plymouth today. I feel like it's been at most places amongst the other OB.
  36. InfraRen

InfraRen Disciple (60) Minnesota Nov 18, 2013

They had some at Firkins last night.
  37. Princeton's has $7.99 six packs of Oskars for the whole month!
    solace likes this.
  38. Nitro version on at Red Cow today...tapping another at Mackenzie on Thursday. Also Breckenridge Barrel Aged Ten Fidy, Gubna, Ten Fidy and Dale's then. Red Cow's got a sick lineup now though too.
    solace likes this.
  39. solace

solace Aficionado (110) Minnesota Aug 23, 2007

those special OB taps at Red Cow right now are insane... might have to get back over there in the next day or two.
  40. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Had Old Chub on nitro last weekend in La Crosse. Normally not a fan of Nitro, but I think I enjoyed the Nitro Chub better than standard.