1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Oskar Blues GUBNA now a seasonal, no longer single-hop

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by shand, Feb 28, 2013.

1. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

From the press release.

2. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Yes I see that, but they can't set the price for retailers. Rather than sitting on the shelf for $15 it will be a "special limited seasonal release, get it while you can" and likely to see a higher price

3. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I'm ok with seasonal and it will be fresher than the 11/19/12 drank last night. Really good, but I'm wondering what 1 month old G Knight tastes like.

4. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

can't wait to try this. GUBNA is a beautifully put together beer with an unfortunate single hop choice. IMO all it needs is a little bit of citrus-hop flavor to balance out all the marijuana / garlic / onion. reformulated cascade/summit GUBNA could end up being the best widely available DIPA in the country.

5. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

only if they forget how poor a seller GUBNA is in most of the country (incidentally this is obviously why it's been relegated to seasonal status).

6. I just had this from a cask in Asheville with the new formula. GUBNA was never my favorite, but after trying the new formula I must say that I am definitely a fan. The dank/onion was still there, but subdued by a good bit of floral and citrus that I did not remember before. Worth a try for sure, but at $4 each I don't know if it is better than some other (cheaper) double IPAs out there.

7. clobby

clobby Aficionado (130) Texas Aug 5, 2012

Great brew.

8. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I liked it before. Now with the new hop profile it is staggering. 3 of these is a bit much for me, I slept great.

9. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

That first sentence you wrote is somewhat of a mess...just say'in.

10. I liked Gubna but I haven't seen a fresh four pack in a couple of years.

11. I am drinking my first GUBNA canned 09/26/12. It seems to be the first DIPA I really dont like..although I keep finding myself taking another sip to pinpoint the flavor. Is this the new or the old? I havent been able to find what dates the new one starts.

12. maybe it is the onion..

13. This beer is so much better now

14. Its old in more ways than one. 6 months is way to old to decide whether or not you like it, find some fresh stuff.

beercanman likes this.
  15. Based on your stance in the other thread about "old IPA's" but I actually dumped it. I don't think fresh would be a whole new beer over 6 months old. But its all good..all their other beers are killer.

16. Not sure I'm following you. I just bought some Gubna today canned in March, will try it tonight. I do think 6 months could be the difference in liking or not liking an IPA.

17. shand

18. Haha well after my 20th topper it just wasn't tasting as good. No IPA was..it burnt out my palate or something. Since then I've been guzzling Belgians and stouts..now with a fridge of KBS those toppers will be getting some more age. Yikes

19. shand

Digging into my first GUBNA with the new recipe - and there was no reason for me to worry. GUBNA's a bit different, but it's still an awesome bruiser of an IPA. I'd say that the nose might be a little worse, and the taste might be a little better.

E: Just checked the label and this bad boy is from their new North Carolina facility as well. Awesome.

20. Just what we need. Another IPA with cascade. I love the Gubna how it is.

21. You mean, "was."

22. BadJustin

BadJustin Savant (265) New York Dec 18, 2010

lemme know when you'd like my address bro. ;)

23. My thoughts exactly, the original was a great unique beer. But like many truly great things in this world, they are not always appreciated by the majority.
    Sounds like a strictly business decision to me (which is understandable, after all they are a business).

24. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

A sound decision where the feedback is your beer tastes like onions and it's not selling very well. Maybe drop it, and just go with G Knight.

Smitty1988 likes this.
  25. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

shit beer. shit brewery. glad they realize Gubna is a shit beer that needs-a-fixin.

fuck Oskar's and their extortionate prices and foul-taste beers

26. TenFidy. Deviant is.. ok but not worth the price. U mad bro???