1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Otter Creek - Black IPA vs. Alpine Black IPA??

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Reagan1984, Feb 25, 2012.

1. MA08

MA08 Savant (280) Massachusetts Nov 13, 2008

No difference. Alpine Black IPA was the winter seasonal, but became year-round and shortened to just Black IPA due to its popularity.
  2. Yeah it is a pretty awesome beer. I would GUESS that it's the same and like you mentioned maybe just different packaging because of the "now year round" thing.
  3. The Alpine is listed as a American Black while the new Black is listed as a standard IPA. Wonder if both should remain listed or if the Alpine should now become an Alias for the Black IPA.... Enjoying one now. (from the bottle) Really love this one. Anyone now Otter Creek's bottle codes? 3132110211
    Let me know if you have a clue. Tastes very fresh.
  4. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

not familiar with that exact julian coding, but I would venture to guess the the first 3 numbers represent day it was brewed. 313 would have been wed nov. 9th 2011.

i could be wrong. but nothing else in that sequence would lead me to believe otherwise.
  5. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Could also be
    Could also be XXXXMMDDYY, which would put a bottling date of 11/02/11, with bottle code 3132, whatever that means. FreshBeerOnly doesn't say anything about a Julian date.
  6. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

this would seem to make more sense. case of the mondaze...
  7. Speaking of Otter Creek, I saw an ad in one of the brewspapers that their spring beer is a golden bock with marketing speak promising a heavy handed hop profile. Anyone see/try this one yet? Does anyone know if this was brewed with lager yeast, or their house ale yeast? I used to like their VT Lager and would love to have a replacement for Glissade to drink this spring.
  8. emannths

Maybe it's a reincarnation of their World Tour Cuckoo Bock:
    It looks like the new beer is simply called "Spring Bock." Here's the label:
  9. ???
  10. emannths

Maybe they figured brewing an ale to celebrate ale brewing would be too circular?