1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Otter Creek Russian Imperial Stout question

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by BB1313, Jan 5, 2013.

1. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Is the new OC RIS in 4pks the same RIS they used to bottle in bombers? The abv is slightly lower and their website says the beer was introduced in September 2012. I'm just curious if it's a completely new recipe, or just new packaging. I just picked up a 12oz bottle of the newer one, but I've never had the older. Thanks in advance.. cheers!
  2. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (310) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

Im curious about this as well, picked up a 4pk last week and was really impressed with this beer. I wish I had a chance to try the old one, the worst part is that I remember seeing it shelves but wasn't interested in stouts at the time.
  3. If the ABV is lower, it's definitely different. That said, I don't know why they'd heavily tweak a successful recipe, so I'd expect something similar until proven otherwise.
  4. Try emailing them.... I did when I had a Q about their "OFest".... used to be an ale, then they re-introduced it in the proper fashion with a lager yeast.... They were quite accomodating...

Prosit!!
  5. BB1313

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was just wondering if it should be reviewed as a separate beer or not. Also if the past reviews apply to the new "Limited Edition" version.
  6. OCBBrewer

OCBBrewer Zealot (95) Vermont Jan 2, 2009

Same beer, new look. Cheers!

Mike
    ShogoKawada, youbrewidrink and BB1313 like this.
  7. BB1313

Thanks for the response. I look forward to trying it. Cheers!
  8. as someone who doesn't drink a ton of OC, I really enjoyed this RIS, great brew, excellent price, keep up the good work!!
  9. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (310) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

Thanks for the response!

How limited are we talking here?
    Are there other brews in this line up?
  10. Picked up two 4-packs today @ Tomlinson's in Morrisville for $12 each

I never had the old one, but really enjoyed this version. Lots of bitter dark chocolate and dark fruit character. Hopefully this will keep returning seasonally.
  11. shanem

shanem Aficionado (180) Vermont Feb 7, 2009

I give OC cred, I asked them via twitter this same question back when it was announced, and they told me it was the same formula right off! I remembered it being pretty good, and the new one definitely doesn't disappoint, hoping its around for a while!
  12. SABERG

SABERG Savant (460) Massachusetts Sep 16, 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed this offering.
    Great product by Otter Creek, also thanks to OCbrewer for the clarification
    Cheers
  13. Glad to see this one back in rotation!!