1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Outdated/weird state beer laws

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Beergelden, Jan 28, 2013.

1. With news that I saw today about Ohio introducing legislation that will increase the ABV limit on beer from 12% to 21%, led me to wonder, are there other states that still have these prohibition laws? What are your thoughts on them and what weird beer laws are in your state?
  2. Shalashaska90

Shalashaska90 Aficionado (120) Ohio Sep 21, 2012

It's about time Ohio! Now I'll finally know for sure that it's a lack of distribution, and not legal issues, keeping me from drinking BCBCS, BBPlead the Fifth, Black Tuesday, etc. Still no Utopias though :(
  3. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

Aren't all state's beer laws outdated if not weird?
  4. Just think of what Hoppin Frog or Great Lakes may create if they can open up the creative doors! My mouth is watering.....
    Shalashaska90 likes this.
  5. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (355) Texas Oct 17, 2012

TEXAS: No liquor on Sundays. No beer past midnight Sunday - Friday. No beer past 1 am on Sat. Breweries can not SELL their beer on site.
    Clonies720 likes this.
  6. maximumu13

maximumu13 Aficionado (185) Ohio Aug 31, 2010

you should be able to find Pt5 in Ohio, I have many times
  7. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

Well MA doesn't allow alcohol to be purchased online. If that's not ridiculous I don't know what is.
  8. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Are there still dry counties in Texas? I remember working in Sulphur Springs and you couldn't have a beer unless you were a member of a supper club and there was no beer or liquor anywhere else. Fortunately, the hotel would provide a temporary membership.

And to be fair, I believe parts of Martha's Vinyard here in MA are still dry.
  9. I can't enjoy a beer while driving home after a long day of work. Stupid laws...
  10. SageO

SageO Savant (385) California Jul 13, 2010

11. Any law in PA about beer.
  12. JohnBender

JohnBender Savant (435) Texas Apr 20, 2012

Definitely a few. Were you in Denton?
  13. I live in PA too but moved here from Ohio, it is pretty bad. For those that don't know, you can only buy cases or kegs at a beer distributor, the only exceptions are pizza places, bars or cafes that sell less than a case, at an increased charge of course. Although distribution at the 6 pack places is getting better, they all carry most of the same brews. You have to hunt for those little diamonds in the rough that carry the good stuff on tap and fill your growler. There are a few great micro- breweries here though.
  14. NC and the fact that only a brewery can package beer (so only breweries can fill growlers). I would also love to see the cap go up from 15% to 21%. Seems to me that if you can sell Bacardi 151, you should be able to sell 75.5% beer.
  15. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

No. Sulphur Springs about two hours away, flying into DFW. Long time ago!
  16. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Massachusetts

1) The only acceptable forms of ID are a MA issued license, liquor ID card, non-driver ID card, US Passport, or military ID. That's right, no out of state licenses (although this is rarely enforced because it's just a liability issue).

2) Beer/wine/liquor can be sold in grocery stores, but more or less can't because an individual or corporation can only have 5 off-premises liquor licenses...no more than 2 in the same city, and no more than 1 in the same town.

3) Happy hour is illegal
  17. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

PA beer laws (distributors, and grocery stores with licenses only being able to sell 192oz at a time, at a designated register, but with unlimited trips allowed).

TX: Dry towns (yes, they still exist).

NY: no beer sales in liquor stores (conversely, no wine or liquor sales in grocery stores).
  18. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

This was going to be my exact post.
  19. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Utah, no state is worse than Utah.
    flurker likes this.
  20. I do not know about the rest of the state, but when I visit my daughter in Sussex County N.J., I can only buy beer in liquor store or state licenced beer distributor. No supermarket or convienience stores!
  21. Not true. You can purchase alcohol online in MA. It's the shipping regulations that suck.
  22. No (retail) alcohol sales on Sundays in Indiana, with exceptions for brewpubs.
  23. jmmy3

What do you mean? I get denied from any online alcohol retailer I've ever tried.
  24. Right, but that's probably because you're trying to have alcohol shipped into MA from out of state. That's against the law in MA. But you can still legally buy the alcohol online. I work for a very large specialty gourmet/alcohol retailer here in western MA. It is possible to buy alcohol from us on our website, and we can ship to customers within the state. We also have a climate controlled storage facility (a cellar, if you will) and we give out-of-staters the option of storing their online purchases there for in-store pickup at a later date.
  25. jmmy3

Semantics then. Any beers I would like to buy online are beers that aren't typically offered in the state, I'm not sure why anyone else would order online to be honest.
  26. Yeah, I'll give you that. Our store has a shipping department and the online purchase option mainly because we can act as our own wine importer and are able to pull some stuff that nobody else has. That is to say, a lot of obscure bordeaux etc. that rich people gobble up and are willing to pay extra to have conveniently shipped to their door.

In your case your best bet is to find a friend in a nearby state and ship it to them. Then you can either pick it up yourself or have them send it to you. I've also heard of some smaller online retailers that will discreetly go through UPS like a beer trader would. Of course this is technically illegal, and you'd have to justify the morality of it yourself.
  27. You forgot wineries, correct? The breweries used that as an argument for equality.
  28. I did. I believe it's anywhere that they produce the product on premise actually. But I'm not sure of any Hoosier distilleries that have tasting rooms/bar areas to sell from.
  29. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

you can if you live in mississippi. but then you have to live in mississippi.
    BomberGuy and Diotima like this.
  30. I think Utah is the only state that is worse than Oklahoma. Sadly, they are pretty equal though.

The worst law is our refrigeration law. Basically, the only beer that can be sold cold at liquor stores, gast stations etc. has to be 3.2 ABW beer. All others have to be sold at room temperature.

Restaurants can of course sell higher ABV beer, but because of all of the terrible laws (and small population) most breweries don't mess with distributing here. It sucks.