1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Over 50 New Breweries in 25 US States Opened in Spring 2012

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,515) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

The Brewers Association reports that in the past three months of March, April and May more than 50 breweries in 25 US states have opened; Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky,Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Washington, D.C., Wisconsin.

Here's their list ...

Arizona
    Dragoon Brewing Co.
    Tucson, Arizona

California
    Latitude 33 Brewing Co.
    Vista, California

Monkfish Brewing Co.
    Torrence, California

Offbeat Brewing Co.
    Escondido, California

Societe Brewing Co.
    San Diego, California

Colorado
    Echo Brewing
    Frederick, Colorado

TRVE Brewing Co.
    Denver, Colorado

Vine Street Pub & Brewery
    Denver, Colorado

BRU Boulder
    Boulder, Colorado

Big Choice Brewing Co.
    Broomfield, Colorado

City Star Brewing
    Berthoud, Colorado

Delaware
    Argilla Brewing Co. @ Pietro's Pizza
    Newark, Delaware

Florida
    Darwin's on 4th
    Sarasota, Florida

Props Craft Brewery
    Fort Walton Beach, Florida

Due South Brewing Co.
    Boynton Beach, Florida

Georgia
    Burnt Hickory Brewery
    Kennesaw, Georgia

Idaho
    Snow Eagle Brewing
    Idaho Falls, Idaho

Illinois
    Baderbrau Brewing Co.
    Chicago, Illinois

Soleman Oath Brewery
    Naperville, Illinois

Pig Minds Brewing Co.
    Machesney Park, Illinois

Kansas
    Crazy Eye Brewing
    Hiawatha, Kansas

Kentucky
    West Sixth Brewing Co.
    Lexington, Kentucky

Maryland
    Dempsey's Brew Pub and Restaurant
    Baltimore, Maryland

Michigan
    Rochester Mills Beer Co. - Production Facility
    Auburn Hills, Michigan

Granite City Food & Brewery
    Troy, Michigan

Minnesota
    Borealis Fermentery
    Knife River, Minnesota

Badger Hill Brewing Co.
    Twin Cities, Minnesota

Missouri
    John A. Huber Brewing Co.
    Jackson, Missouri

Rock Bridge Brewing Co.
    Columbia, Missouri

New Jersey
    Turtle Stone Brewing Co.
    Vineland, New Jersey

Flounder Brewing Co.
    Somerset County, New Jersey

New Mexico
    Broken Bottle Brewery
    Albuquerque, New Mexico

New York
    Community Beer Works
    Buffalo, New York

North Carolina
    Tipping Point Tavern
    Waynesville, North Carolina

Brevard Brewing Co.
    Brevard, North Carolina

Ohio
    Zauber Brewing Co.
    Columbus, Ohio

Oregon
    Dragon's Gate Brewery
    Milton Freewater, Oregon

Gigantic Brewing Co.
    Portland, Oregon

Pennsylvania
    Doylestown Brewing Co.
    Doylestown, Pennsylvania

Round Guys Brewing Co.
    Lansdale, Pennsylvania

Naked Brewing Co.
    Feasterville Trevose, Pennsylvania

Texas
    Rogness Brewing Co.
    Pflugerville, Texas

Guadalupe Brewery
    New Braunfels, Texas

Virginia
    Midnight Brewery
    Rockville, Virginia

Brass Cannon Brewery
    Toano, Virginia

Washington
    Dirty Bucket Brewing Co.
    Woodinville, Washington

Elliot Bay Public House & Brewery
    Seattle, Washington

Kulshan Brewing Co.
    Bellingham, Washington

Brickyard Brewing Co.
    Woodinville, Washington

Washington, D.C.
    3 Stars Brewing Co.
    Washington, D.C.

Wisconsin
    3 Sheeps Brewing Co.
    Sheboygan, Wisconsin

Sweet Mullets Brewing Co.
    Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Port Huron Brewing Co.
    Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin

###

2. AllanC

AllanC Aficionado (125) Kentucky May 27, 2011

3. Makes me wonder when are stores simply going to run out of shelf space to carry all the new breweries showing up...

DRLawrence likes this.
  4. I am going to Pig Minds Tonite! Will report back!

5. Tired Hands opened up about a week ago as well outside of Philly.

6. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Funny enough, the CO listing is omitting a few and we have a bunch more on the way.

7. cant help but think. the more breweries that open, the more that wont make it and be forced to either close or sell. i think the ones that have to sell, that made a decent name for them selves will get bought up by AB and miller Coors. so they can release "craft" beer under a different name. not that they haven't been basically doing this already

8. porkinator

porkinator Savant (260) California Aug 26, 2009

Great, even more future whales I'm going to have to save for.

9. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

What a great time to be a fine beer lover. The pace of the craft beer revolution is staggering. Hope there are enough thirsty folk to support all of these.

10. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

They missed Pike 51 in Hudsonville, MI too. There's a few more on the way in Michigan, Boatyard Brewing Company in Kzoo, Perrin Brewing in Comstock Park, and more to come.

11. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Most of these new breweries are going to take a year or more to start cranking out good beer. Remember the 90's. Lots will produce crap, most of them will fail.

12. Grinder

Grinder Aficionado (105) Wisconsin Dec 28, 2007

Not a very comprehensive list. They missed a few. Hydro Street Brewing in Columnus WI

13. This has been the case for years in the Boston area - sucks for beer drinkers like me who like to drink more than one bottle of each brand. For example, I can buy mixed 12 packs of Troeg's, but impossible to find a six pack of their pale ale. And good local/regional beers that fly under the beer geek radar are getting harder and harder to find - as well as import lagers. Seems like there are many stores that either cater to beer geeks with lots of obscure bombers and 750's or to the bmc crowd - and the middle tier is getting squeezed out.

UncleJimbo and azorie like this.
  14. Personally, I am finding it harder and harder to find beer that I want to drink and willing to pay its price. It was much easier 10 years ago.

15. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

Something's gonna have to give. Either small breweries are going to start closing up shop in droves, or distribution is going to become more regional and we're going to see more brewers pull back their distribution range.

I simply don't believe there's a sustainable market for this kind of innundation of craft brewers.

azorie likes this.
  16. For California, it's Monkish...not Monkfish haha

17. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

I hear you, but i think with there being over 6,000 vineyards in the usa, approx. 2,000 usa breweries seem small (ie, if wine drinkers can support 6k, I would think beer drinkers could support well more than 2k; of course, i have zero research to back that up). I think we are just making up for lost time.

18. cavedave

Ten years ago I had never heard of Nugget Nectar, Flower Power, Big A, Lunch, Sublimely Self Righteous, Super Kitty, Joe Mamas Stout, Brute, LeBleu, 2XIPA, Finest Kind, Saison Brett, The Abyss, Ommegang BPA, Captain Lawrence, etc., etc., and I could keep this list going til the cows come home.

Perhaps things are different in the far off land of Massachusetts ;)

Brushkanna likes this.
  19. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Most already have, unless you think a row of just singles counts....sucks in some ways. At least as far as Total wine stores, seems like the more beer brands they carry the less, actual six packs are on the shelf! What I mean is there is just so much space and if you want six packs of things, there is not enough room for them, so they break them up and place them on the singles row, which does not help me much, as I not going to pay single prices......

20. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Its just another cycle and a fad for many, everyone wants a to build a brewery now its So popular, of course its when so Popular, you know its a bubble. It happened in the 1990's and it will again, I hate to be negative about it, but what goes up always comes down. (unless your in space,and there are no pubs in space). I do not think its this year I think its 2013/2014 and wham the peak will be hit. Only time will tell though.

21. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

Unfortunately, the wine-drinking market is significantly larger than the craft beer market.

Based on those numbers, we're at a 3:1 ratio of wineries:breweries. Are we at a 3:1 ratio of craft beer:wine drinkers? There's a lot of other factors involved obviously, but it's still food for thought, in my opinion.

maximum12 likes this.
  22. Tone

Tone Advocate (540) Missouri Nov 8, 2006

Third brewery opening in Columbia, MO! Woohoo! Flat Branch and Broadway are both great. I can't wait to try some of Rock Bridge Brewings' offerings.

23. You can add even more to NC. Steel String Brewing in Carrboro just closed on their property, and Haw River Farmhouse Ales in Saxapahaw just finished and met their fundraising drive online to finalize their equipment.

24. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

One thing you also have to examine is size and scope for these breweries. In the Denver area almost none of them are bottling. They're essentially just like "neighborhood" breweries and no matter how many seem to pop up, they're shockingly all doing good business more often than not.
    They aren't having to compete with the New Belgiums and Odells because they don't bottle. They might compete for the occasional keg space, but that's it. Neighborhoods want their own little brewery hang-out spot more than just a multi-tap.
    At a certain point I'm pretty sure things will implode if every major neighborhood has 5 breweries, but the current batch are doing pretty well.

davey and cavedave like this.
  25. cavedave

We need to ask have we peaked at 6% of beer drinking market?

IMHO it comes down to whether the folks I now see everywhere buying the entry level crafts will continue to like fine beer well enough to become part of the regular buyers/lovers of even better craft. I believe they will stay with fine beer, because we have such great and experimental brewers in USA.

It's the craft brew revolution, man, enjoy it. I think there's no going back to crap beer once you fall in love with craft beer.

26. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I don't think it's unreasonable for the share by volume to triple in the next 2-3 decades. Of course that would mean the big guys would be paying a lot more attention and likely making some substantial acquisitions.

27. I wish the Boston area was more like Denver in this respect. I've had enough of these new douche-tastic hipster "gastropubs" that seem to pop up weekly around here, with their overpriced precious beer and food menus (and pompous attitudes to match).

I'd even kill for a corporate brewpub like Gordon Biersch to open in my area, or maybe a BJ's.

Back to the original point, I really don't see how this trend of new breweries can be sustainable. To think that this continued growth will continue to happen is not realistic.

28. When you look at the number of people that drink beer, relative to the number of people that drink craft beer, there are still TONS of people out there to draw from as customers. Simply opening your doors and exposing people to your beer is going to convert some people to customers. There's room for everybody in this game. Literally. As long as you know what the fuck you're doing and can actually make good beer.

29. There have been many breweries that made good great beer that have closed.

I agree there is room for growth, but it is not a slam dunk to open a brewery and be successful.

30. Redrover

Redrover Champion (755) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

That is Columbus, WI.

Thanks for the tip as I often go home that way from the cabin. While the wife goes to that huge antique mall thing, I can go have a beer!

31. dedrinker

dedrinker Initiate (0) Kansas May 13, 2006

They don't even need to be around. we have enough beer.

32. So much apathy in this thread. We are thirsty for good beers and in time BMC dinosaur soft drinks are going to have to make a little room for us. Some of these new breweries will be great and stay open for decades, some will create brands and sell out and then some will not be so great and fold. More good beer is a good thing.

robconoclast likes this.
  33. spartan1979

spartan1979 Savant (385) Missouri Dec 29, 2005

It may be that this is just a list of the breweries that have joined the Brewers Association.

34. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'm still waiting for the new WY brewery to open..Clear Creek in Buffalo. It will be the second closest brewery/brewpub to me at 106 miles, one way.

35. Yikes, that sucks.

36. robconoclast

robconoclast Aficionado (155) Ohio Jun 22, 2012

:eek:. I can tell I'm spoiled when I meet people visiting a brewpub and I hear similar stories.

37. Come on Mass and RI, STEP YOUR GAME UP!

38. So many dumb derivative names for these breweries
    Why does every brand title have to include an animal, some vague reference to nature or geographical specificity?

Yea I can't wait to try some Squirrel Cliff followed by some Stepdad's Porch and then how could I forget a growler fill of Indian Corn on 4th

39. tozerm

tozerm Savant (375) Washington Jul 1, 2005

Assuming they can make a decent beer, the success or failure, of any new brewery is usually dependent on successfully matching their capital outlays to their realistically valid business plan. The sweet spot is to spend just enough money to buy the right amount of equipment to satisfy your anticipated customer base to get the doors open. If you can successfully manage that and then scale things up according to the demand, you should be ok. Truth be told though, how may breweries start out by buying the equipment for a 5,000 bbl a year brewery and only wind up selling 500 bbls. That is an extremely quick way to chew through your capital and wind up for sale on Probrewer.

40. brew it til you screw it!