1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ow man they ruined Sly fox Odyssey!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DrDemento456, Jan 28, 2013.

1. I was excited yesterday to see this canned and a bit puzzled of the recent reviews. I figured for the 3 dollars a can it would at least be as good as it was in the bottle.

Second I poured it and took a whiff I knew there was something wrong, no hops! I keep sniffing now and get some earthy hops but nowhere close to the bottle or on tap level! The beer itself is kind of bitter so the hops are there but in no way balanced as they were!

Damn is it because of the can or did they change a perfect recipe? It does say "each year our brewers select their favorite and newly discovered hops to create a big. bold imperial IPA"

Is it the choice of hops? It's not aromatic in the slightest!

2. Chugs13

Chugs13 Savant (430) New Jersey Dec 11, 2011

I dont know what it is, but I had it for the first time the other day out of a can, and it was flat out terrible.

3. dbol

dbol Savant (255) Missouri Aug 19, 2007

very medicinal, not a fan.

4. Totally agree. I did see that the recipe was changed a bit. It is not the can. I bought a whole case and have given most of them away. Many of my friends loved it, but I know this beer could be better. It was totally boozy. We need an awesome double IPA canne in PA. Hop Wallop or Double Thunder Hop in a can. Please, let the beer gods here this prayer.

iKasey likes this.
  5. I would have to agree. I don't think it's terrible, but just mediocre. The bitterness is there but just no hop flavors. No hop aromas, no piney / citrus / floral flavors at all. With other local IPAs like Victory Hop Wallop and Weyerbacher Double Simcoe available, this one just doesn't measure up. I will say at $39.50 for a case of 8.4% abv Double IPA, at least it's not overpriced.

6. memory

memory Savant (250) Pennsylvania Oct 2, 2005

Had it on tap at the brewpub and it was great.

7. Well I said on tap it was exceptional you could even check my review! It just sucks that the hops they got this year don't stack up to the ones from last year.

@tdizzlegrizzle: Yeah it wasn't that overpriced as Say Firestone Walkers Double Jack but it seems like a shadow of it's former self. I didn't want to post an "This beer is not as good as last year thread" but everyone seems to agree this is the case.

Ow well at least I only bought 2, I couldn't imagine a whole case.

8. memory

memory Savant (250) Pennsylvania Oct 2, 2005

S
    Sorry, missed that. I've never had it in cans only on tap and it always was a little too bitter but this years tastes balanced to me.

9. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

for some reason i've had this in draft, bottle and tap version and didnt like any of them.

10. The cans and draught I've had recently were awful. Grapey/floral hop character, bitter, unbalanced mess.

11. I got stuck with a case of this and it's jot a hood thing. Should have held out and spent about the same for Nugget a nectar instead.

12. I just finished up a sixer last week. I enjoyed the taste but probably not enough to buy another sixer in the near future. However, the aroma was extremely "perfume-y". Which is strange because I've never described the aroma of a DIPA as such. Not a bad smell just very unique.