1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

$/oz breaking point on beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jegross2, Jan 30, 2013.

1. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Ignoring for a moment the cost of the first time you buy a beer (tickers gotta tick, after all), what is your general breaking point for purchasing beers a second time.

For me, I think it's somewhere around a $1/oz if buying retail -- although there are exceptions to be made with some of the absolute best beers like Chocolate Rain, Cable Car, Fou Foune, certain Cascades, etc.

2. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Three Fidy?

nogophers, audioserf, Rutager and 7 others like this.
  3. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

$1/oz? jesus that's a high breaking point.

4. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

$1/oz is $72 for a six-pack. So you've got a pretty darn high breaking point I'd say.

5. For most beer, 0.75/oz. The most I have ever paid was 45 for a bottle of cantillon cuvee de champions, and I struggled the whole way to the register

6. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Good question.

I am way low, likely, compared to many here. I have to really swallow hard to ever pay more than $ .25/oz for any everyday drinker. Very, very, very rarely will I pay upwards of $ .50/oz. And at that....only for something as special to me as BCBS. Beyond that...I'm passing. Funny thing....my budget, my disposable, and my wife would let me buy anything I want. I just don't feel the need to over pay when so many great beers are available in my daily range of $ .10-.15/oz.

Good thread. May get folks to really thinking about just how much they DO pay sometimes.

keithmurray, jegross2, gshak and 2 others like this.
  7. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

I mean... If I just want to drink to get drunk, I probably wouldn't surpass $1.5/12 oz. (ZD)

If I was drinking because it tastes good, no more than $10-20/1oz.

russmann, jegross2 and kscaldef like this.
  8. That's a tough call. I can't say I've ever been out to a bar and broke my beer selection down the cost per oz. I tend to go with a budget for the experience of the night, and go after new interesting looking beers, and then fall back to the few 2-4 beers that I've been hooked on. Those 2-4 beers change based on seasons, mood and event types. I know that doesn't fully answer your question, but its honestly how I approach my night.

slarrage likes this.
  9. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

not proud, but I paid close to 1.50 once. mikkeller beer geek weasel edition. bought 5 bottles :oops:

Dontcounttoday, ESeab and jegross2 like this.
  10. 8.33$ per oz, Sink the Bismark

russmann and jegross2 like this.
  11. This is a weird thread that requires math! I suck at math when sober and I usually have a beer while on this site. I dont know what my breaking point is. Probably 50 cents per ounce but only on a rare occasion. That comes out to a 12 dollar bomber. That it a good stopping point for beer.... Unless supply is severely limited. In which case I may trade one of my appendages for a sip of warm bud light!

ESeab likes this.
  12. None, if I want it, I buy/trade for it and I drink it and enjoy.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  13. Two years ago I made a promise to myself to never spend more than $20 on a bottle of beer. Thank God Alemsith's Kopi Luwaks were only $17 per bottle.

jegross2 likes this.
  14. I guess a dollar per ounce is pretty much my max but I rarely spend that much. $12 per bomber is pretty rare for me. I saw Brooklyn Black Ops in the store today for $35 and didn't even consider it.

jegross2 likes this.
  15. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Well said sir, as this is how I do it. When I walk into a bottles shop or bar, I pretty much always have a set amount of what I'm going to spend. Whether a walk out with 100 or 1 beer, I try not to exceed that set amount.

16. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Depends a lot on the format, since "one" can be 11 oz or 25 or...

For a repeat buy, it's rare that I spend more than:

$20 for a bomber or 750ml = $0.90/oz
    Single small bottles (think DeStruise), rarely more than $8/11oz = $0.72/oz
    $22 for a 4-pk (BCBS) = $0.46/oz
    $15 for a sixer = $0.21/oz

A lot of this has to do with the type of beer that comes in each format. I wouldn't be paying $70 for a sixer (equivalent to the 750ml price), and I wouldn't want that much beer, anyway.

ESeab likes this.
  17. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

I work hard so that I can enjoy things in life. If I like a beer, I'll buy it. It's a relatively inexpensive luxury.

18. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Heck no. I love the stuff, but when it's normally around $22....

19. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (180) New York Dec 25, 2008

I rarely buy bombers over 8 or 9 bucks. $15 or so would probably be my limit unless its something really unusual. That's around $.75/oz.

In general I try to stick to 4 or 6 packs due to cost though. A $12 4 pack is still only $.25 per oz. Bombers are the biggest ripoff in the craft beer world IMO.

Uniobrew31 and Vonstein15 like this.
  20. Saw a Black Ops for $21 today , that's a size able difference.

21. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (385) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

Rare was about $2/oz. I bought four of them and would have bought more, had I seen them.

BA DL is usually $50/750, so right around $2/oz as well. I wouldn't bat an eye at any of those as well.

It is certainly beer specific, but I'm not sure I would be able to get past $2/oz.

22. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

23. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

A dollar an ounce for me, but I have gone over it on occasion.

24. gshak

gshak Savant (465) Texas Feb 20, 2011

Did I read that right - $10-20/1oz...that's like $120-$240 for a 12 ozer....you sir, are a baller! I tip my hat to you!

25. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

[​IMG]

4oz of '83 Dirty Horse for $40 (I think?), would pay twice as much to have Loerik, DQ, etc.

26. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I would pay up to $60 for a Blabaer, I think, maybe more.

kojevergas likes this.
  27. LouDogg114

LouDogg114 Savant (285) Georgia Jan 1, 2012

The lady at my local bottle shop pulled a black ops from behind the counter to show me. But for 23 bones, all i could do was hold it and read the label. I usually don't go over 12 a bomber

28. That's still less than what regular Speedway costs in MA.

cbeer88 and ShogoKawada like this.
  29. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

For me, it all depends on the beer. I think $1/oz is a good limit just because it's a round number. That would be $22/bomber, which would be a really expensive beer for me, but not outrageous. I've paid more before, and will again. If I could afford it, I'd gladly by the $199 bottle of Utopias I saw the other day. When it comes down to it, no matter how good the beer is, I think my absolute limit would be $50/bomber. About $2.27/oz. And that would easily change depending on my position in life, and whether or not I had a balance on my credit card at the time.

30. Ctaylor

Ctaylor Initiate (20) Virginia Nov 30, 2012

25$-30$ a bomber/750, the rest, you can do the math

31. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

$1/oz is about tops for me and I think Evil Twin is really pushing it with some of their 12oz bottles as of late...

ESeab and jegross2 like this.
  32. My breaking point is around $1/oz and that's only if its something limited and in a style I really enjoy. Regularly, I spend about $.25/oz.

ESeab and jegross2 like this.
  33. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

I did split a bottle of Bramble Rye with a friend recently for $30, but it was at a restaurant/bar though so that was acceptable

ESeab likes this.
  34. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

I paid $250 for a PvW 23 year bourbon without thinking twice, so I guess my liquor $/oz is over $10
    Beer, however, is different. I don't think i've come across a beer that would break my threshold. There's absurdity in pricing (like places selling 12oz Black Note for $14/bottle) but then there's some special beers that really might be worth it.

ESeab likes this.
  35. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

ABV is a big factor, even more so drinking out. . A few bars sell Utopia at $12 for 1oz. but at $5 per oz I would get some. The average tasting pint at 5$ with an ABV under 5% is barely worth all the trips to the urinal.

36. There is none for me. Beer is beer! and it is nothing short of amazing.

kojevergas likes this.
  37. Not everywhere though close enough. $15 around here.

38. If I try a beer and am really into it, I'll pay whatever to get more

39. jegross2

Eh, It's $22 for a bomber and plenty are $19.99 these days. I call $1/oz "Cherry Rye" pricing :)

ESeab likes this.
  40. jegross2

HA. Well, I wouldnt be buying six packs of that stuff!! Well, unless it's consecration...