1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

$/oz breaking point on beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jegross2, Jan 30, 2013.

1. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

I don't think I've ever paid that much per oz of anything unless you're including trade costs for shipping and whatnot. And I would call that more of a rare exception than breaking point. You're ballin!
  2. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Oh certainly there are exceptions, and I'd buy those in multiples, but BA Behemoth today got me thinking. When I saw the $40 tag, considering i'd had the bottle version before, I didn't even hesitate to think "pass" but I did get one last year.

Quite frankly, I think the best beer deal, $/oz is Lagunitas Sucks.
    beerhan and Andygirl like this.
  3. Rogue.
    ilikebeer03 likes this.
  4. jegross2

Nah, just drinking too many limited releases and not enough good locals the past few months.
  5. jegross2

PVW23 is some awesome stuff though! Can't blame ya. I turned down a bottle this year, however, when I was able to buy 2x PVW15 (my second favorite of the bunch) and 2x PVW10 for under $200 :-\
  6. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I honestly don't break it down to the ounce. I guess I look at a 12oz, bomber or 750 bottle. For a 12oz I would say $20, $40 for a bomber and $75 for a 750. These may vary slightly depending on the brew, and by no means are these my averages but more so my high reading points. There may be some that I would go higher on such as KtG, Grey Monday, so I can try them of given the chance.
  7. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

If your max is $1/oz, then you are missing out on some pretty great beers. You are missing out on some severely overpriced shitty ones as well. Having bought multiple bottles of Xyauyu in the past, it's clear that my limit is ∞.
  8. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

you're a beer trader, right? you have no limit.
  9. No, no, no. Never.
    CityofBals likes this.
  10. What is dirty horse and why do I suddenly need it? ISO '83 dirty horse.
    CityofBals and Michigan like this.
  11. russmann

russmann Aficionado (135) Idaho Oct 3, 2007

I hate myself later when I turn down a beer I want because of the price.
  12. Beer is expensive in Canada and imported stuff is even worse. Good local six packs are $12-$14, Sierra Nevada or anything from the US is $16+
  13. Ugh, that's rough. The Cantillon helps make up for it though right? What is Peche Mortel up there?
  14. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

$120-$240 a 12 oz? Holy Shit Batman. That said, I've noticed I will never buy more than $1/oz. BCBCS $20 for 22oz , fine with me, 120 min under $10 OK. Anything more than a buck an oz is Insane
    jegross2 likes this.
  15. ESeab

Exactly. I saw it for $25, no thanks.
  16. ESeab

As a man with a math degree, thanks for doing this so i didn't have to
  17. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I've spent about $2/oz on a 12oz bottle of beer like Matt, but I don't know that that's my "breaking point." More like my "this really hurts" point.

I guess I did refuse to pull the trigger on a 750mL of Deviation, priced at $85. So $3.35/oz must be my breaking point.
  18. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

Under normal circumstances I find that I cannot put a 6 pack in my cart if the price is more than $ 10.99 and cannot put a pint bottle (16.7 - 18.7 oz) into the cart if it is more than $ 5.99. I don't drink 22 oz/ 750 ml bombers very often so there isn't such a defined sweet spot for me there but would probably be $ 7.99, the exception being in December when I buy a fair amount of Belgian beer so whatever the price of a 750 of Chimay Grande Reserve or Corsendonk Christmas Ale is would probably be the limit.

I drink a case of beer a week easily so I need to be somewhat practical in my beer purchases, although lately have been spending a little more as I have been on a real English Porter kick and have been buying more pint bottles at $ 5 - $ 6 each.

My goal is to limit my beer expenditure to $ 50 per week. A case of Fuller's London Pride with tax is around $ 48 and fully half my weekly consumption is that beer. My usual pattern is to go to Beers of the World every two weeks and get 1 case of London Pride, a case of something else which varies on season and my mood and a couple of bombers so the total is around $ 100.
  19. ahhh math! This thread hurts my head....I need a beer....
  20. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Two Hearted comes out at about $0.14 / oz.

Fuck yeah.
    szmnnl99, yamar68 and vivasbeer like this.
  21. Couple years ago you couldn't find it for less than $20. I saw the price has been declining.
  22. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

About $1/oz. I am sure I could be persuaded to spend much more on a vanilla bean dark lord, but that's it.
  23. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Depends on the beer for me. I'll pay more per oz to try it once. After i've tried it, I'll decide if it is worth ever buying again - or worth the $ per oz that it was.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  24. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I don't really have one, because I really don't purchase bombers, aside from Helios, GI variants and the occasional sour in summer months. Therefore everything else is largely affordable and 1000 miles away from a dollar an ounce. - which to me is a solute my and utterly ridiculous
  25. mnguyen281

mnguyen281 Initiate (0) Texas Apr 9, 2009

$20/bomber is my limit - not because of price, but because anything more than that i might as well grab a bottle of jameson's instead.
  26. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

on the day to day. $4 a 12 oz is where I stop. I can do a mix sixer of great seasonals and special releases for $4 a bottle. if I buy a solid 6er thats gonna hit about 20 bucks. more than that, I'd better be ticking
  27. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (700) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

$10/12 oz is pretty much my limit for first time buys and I usually balk at buying it a second time at that price unless it is really f*cking fantastic. For bombers though I have/will pay up to $30 but again I rarely feel the urge to rebuy these. Not sure why the psychology makes me pay $1+ per oz for a bomber and ~$0.75 for a 12 oz but thats the way my beer brain operates.
  28. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I never think about the price of the beer that I buy...if I did, I wouldn't buy it :(
  29. See, "Beer is beer" just doesn't quite fit into your statement. That phrase implies that it's just a beverage and nothing to blow out of proportion, yet your attitude doesn't jibe with that implication (not that that's a problem). When I see a $40 500mL bottle of beer it can kiss my ass! A $30 bottle of DFH 75min at a restaurant can kiss it as well. There's a reason I don't buy wines often!!!
  30. bdonley5

bdonley5 Aficionado (240) Michigan Dec 30, 2011

I laugh when I see such differing opinions on this subject. Pay whatever you want to pay. Does it really matter what someone else would pay for it. Outside of getting completely ripped off by not doing some price comparison shopping is it really a big deal if you pay 13.99 or 17.99 for a bottle of say Bourbon County Coffee, a bottle that hits the area once a year and is gone within two days. Be happy you got your hands on some and enjoy it. People on this site tend to be a bit obsessed with $4$ trading and scored-carding what each other paid for a bottle and I don't get it. All I really care about is whether I got try something I haven't tried before that I really wanted to. $3, $4 either way isn't gonna break me and neither is trading $58 of beer for $48 of beer I haven't tried and get get in my area. Supply in your area and you Demand level for said beer should really determine your price not what someone else paid a liquor store.
    ThickNStout and ESeab like this.
  31. I usually start second guessing and thinking of other options around $1/oz. North Coast got me though with this years BA Old Rasputin. That bottle was low in the cooler and I just grabbed it and threw it in the basket. I thought $22 was a lot, but told myself it was worth it for a 750 mL. Plus, I'd never had it before. I didn't notice until I got home that it was a 16.9 bottle. It even had the weight of a 750. Oh well, it was good and enjoyable, but I won't pay that again.
  32. ESeab

I saw a parabola at a Diner last night for $21, it was from 2011, worth it or should it pucker up?
  33. jegross2

The divit in the bottom is what throws you off. :-\
  34. jegross2

Still think it's drinking great. Good price at a bar for b2 IMO
    ESeab likes this.
  35. I don't know you... but right now, I hate you. $200 for 4 bottles of Pappy??

You're a bad person. You should be ashamed.

Directly on topic... I guess I'd have to join the $1/oz club- but that would REALLY be my breaking point, would only be done rarely, and only for a beer I REALLY want.

Otherwise, these days, $10 6packs. $8 bombers.

That allows for wife, daughter, and motorcycle.
    LeRose and CityofBals like this.
  36. It was a strange bottle. It felt like Thor's hammer when it was empty. I keep the bottle by my bed for home invasion protection. You could bludgeon someone with that beast a la Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies.
    jegross2 likes this.
  37. I haven't stopped and thought about this; I typically decide in the store if a price is reasonable or not. Now that I consider it, though, I think I hit my "eh, not sure about this" mark at $12 for a six or $15 for a bomber.
  38. For me its called this years release of Cascade Vlad the Impaler, $30
  39. ~$0.50/oz., and it's not often that I am willing to spend that much. I usually try and keep my purchases to <$10 per sixer.
  40. Baller status.