1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

$/oz breaking point on beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jegross2, Jan 30, 2013.

1. That's a pretty good price. If it was >$35 then you could pucker up ;)

2. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Depends on the beer, obviously. For a highly regarded 4 pack, I'd be willing to pay $25 bucks or so, but more than that is questionable. You pay for quality and, as a beer advocate, that's the price we must pay.

3. I have been using the per oz. mainly for comparison on which beer to buy when I'm torn between buying two beers to pick up a growler of since I don't like to keep more than two 32 oz. growlers around at any time. Other than that, if I like a beer and believe it is worth the price asked, I'll buy it without regard to the per oz. price. If I believe I have received value I am satisfied. I also shop around for seasonal releases in good supply so if someone is selling it cheaper, I'll pick it up at a cheaper price. Only new releases though since that way I don't have to dick around with dates.

4. beerindex

beerindex Savant (295) Missouri Jun 18, 2007

Doesn't come up, at least for home consumption. At restaurants or bars, if I truly feel the need and there are no new options, I would say I have a hard price limit of $8 per beer, rather than some per oz rule.

5. Jeffh97

Jeffh97 Aficionado (120) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Ten Fidy?

6. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Would buy a case at $85 a bottle. Again and again and again.

7. I think the bulk of my expensive repeats are 4-packs or Stone bombers, which come out to ~30 cents/oz. I rarely spend more than that on a repeat.

8. MrDave

MrDave Advocate (605) California Jan 23, 2013

$1/oz and I've broken it twice. Once on accidentally on an unmarked Mikkeller Weasel ($14/12oz), and once intentionally on DFH 120 Minute ($5+ tax&tip for 4oz pour). The latter was worth it.

9. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

I'm a beer fan but unless I know it is the bee's knee's I won't pay Whale prices when I can get my reliable beer cheaper.

10. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

I've pretty much become numb to what I spend. I know I won't always be this way but for now I pretty much suck it up and pay whatever it takes for the beers that I really want to try.

11. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Only gone over a dollar an ounce once, when I bought an EC12 Eclipse while feeling rich over the hols.

12. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

No, that's just crazy. Three Fidy, that's more reasonable (See FFF).

13. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

This thread makes me feel either cheap or poor.

I also don't really think of it per ounce. More like...I'd have a hard time paying more than $8 for a pint on tap, more than $12-15 for a six pack, More than $15 for a bomber, etc. And those prices are mostly for new beers, I would have an even harder time repeating a beer at high prices.

There is a lot of good beer that I like, even love, that I can get for $8.50 for a sixer or $4 for a pint on tap. No, I haven't tried many of the whales, and with my tight wallet, I probably won't try many. But it's just a bit too painful to pay such a high price for something that I'm ultimately going to drink and be done with, even if I do enjoy it a lot. Whereas I have no problem paying a high dollar for a motorcycle part or horse riding equipment. Because those are things that I can continually use once I own them.

14. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

So basically you simultaneously know and don't know you are getting ripped off by the 750?

15. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

Good luck with that!

16. I calculate it more like "per 12ish oz serving." So 6 pack / 6, 4 pack / 4, and bombers&750s / 2.

Anything above $15 "per beer" and I would be expecting the world in a bottle. So a bomber over $30 would make me take a looong pause.

17. After dropping 130 euros and shipping from Belgium on Struise Five Squared I be all like "aite, $7.11 per ounce is my absolute breaking point"

and then I be all buying Kaggen online, not learning my lessons and shit.

libbey, Gosox8787 and ehammond1 like this.
  18. I know this is specifically talking about re-purchasing beer, and that's hard for me since I am mostly trying new stuff (especially when it comes to high priced beer). I recently spent $22 on a 500mL (~17oz) bottle of Northcoast Old Stock Cellar Reserve 2009, and honestly it was so damn good that I'd buy several more bottles at that price. However I'd say that's generally an exception to the rule. I'd say for re-purchasing it's probably about $.50/oz unless it's something exceptional and/or rare like what I described above. In cases like that it's probably something like $1.5/oz, but really it ends up just coming down to how badly I want the beer at the time! lol

19. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

$21 at a diner is decent price. I've seen it in stores between $14 and $18.

Never really considered where I draw the line. If it's a beer I want to try and I have the money I will spend it. I don't regret spending $14 on a bottle of Mikkeller Monk's Brew (red wine barrel aged with raspberries) twice but I'm hesitant to spend $11 on DIPA's from the same brewery.

20. Jerome1929

Jerome1929 Savant (275) Michigan Sep 11, 2008

Usually less than a $1/oz, but when I see Kuhnhenn goodies or Jolly Pumpkin Grand Reserves that goes out the window.

21. I have never seen bottles of BCBS in Michigan before, and I just saw a bottle of Cherry Rye on my local store, and I've never had it... $26 for 22oz, then with tax and deposit would make it about $28-29 for 22oz. I stared at it for a good minute, but I did not pull the plug. Thirty dollars can do a lot more at this wonderful beer time of year.

But the store doesn't close for another two hours...

(beer advocate should have a beer obsession support forum)

22. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

I'm well aware of the price difference. I'm also aware that a lot of 750ml beers don't come in 12oz/4pack/6pack etc. And yes I know that some do...but most do not.

And even if they do, sometimes you want 25.4oz of a beer, not 72. Buying more than you want just for a better price per oz isn't always smart.

23. The only time I'd want less beer at a higher price point would be if I didn't know if I'd like it. Even then, if it's going to be that pricey it's probably desirable for trading so I'd rather have the ability to trade/gift the portion I don't want.

24. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

I can get enough great beers for $3 a single or $7 a bomber max that I very rarely will go over that. Of course there are exceptions, especially one-off brews, but it's rare. So I suppose my usually limit is 0.25-0.30/oz.

25. If I like something I'll pay for it on special occasions even if it's high. I'll buy another Utopias on its next release most likely. But in general, I guess a dollar an ounce is plenty accommodating. I usually won't go that high either, especially for everyday drinking. Not that good beer isn't worth it, but there's so many top notch brews at a lower price. I rarely spend under 20 a bottle for wine, but that's because there aren't a ton of options under that price that are really good, but when there are, I snatch those up.

26. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Damn it ... no wonder those BA's keep comin' back...you keep givin 'em Ten Fidy...

27. I haven't paid more than $.50/oz for a beer yet and I don't see myself exceeding that threshold. Too much good beer out there at affordable/reasonable prices to go chasing all of that expensive/rare stuff that ends up being a disappointment.

28. Mirin

29. This glass of Dirty Horse's identity needed protecting?

franklinn likes this.
  30. I dunno. I would say, like, $.80 an ounce? I won't pay more than $20 for a 750mL (unless it's something super dupper hard to come by and I really want to try it). Which sucks because basically the only way I'm going to be able to buy Russian River product in these parts is if I'm willing to pony up $11 for one of the 11.2's and god help me I can see myself caving on that one day (especially once I get my tax return).

31. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

I'm usually too lazy to break it down to that level, but I typically won't spend more than 10 to 15 dollars for a bomber. There have been exceptions though.

32. toofdoc

toofdoc Savant (250) New Mexico Jun 28, 2011

Beware of the Succubus...

33. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

I paid $22 for a 750 of Tart of Darkness. Close to $1/oz.
    I don't think I would do that again for a long time. This thread made me put in perspective that my $.33/oz. I just paid for Hopslam isn't that bad in comparison to a lot of bombers on the market.

34. The most I've ever spent was .57 per ounce, and that was on the Rogue Double Chocolate Stout that I just bought earlier today. But that was for a special occasion since it's for Valentine's Day. For my every day regular beers, I probably don't go above 25 cents per ounce. I don't really have a set point that I would quit at, though.

35. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

about .75/oz is where I really slow down and think about if it's worth it... sometimes it is, others not. I've definitely spent over $1/oz and not felt bad about it, or felt ripped off, and I'll definitely spend over that again in the future (looking at you, double barrel damon....)

36. tut2528

tut2528 Savant (470) Illinois Sep 26, 2008

usually $1/oz, but depending on the rarity I will step over that boundry on occassion (i.e. GI Rare). My maximum for a 4pk is $25

37. amp138

amp138 Savant (295) Rhode Island Dec 21, 2011

I recently passed on the Fifty Fifty Eclipses because it was $30 for a bomber. Little steep for me.