1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

P49 Hay Fever Spring Saison

Discussion in 'Canada' started by matthaslaservision, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Thoughts?

I didn't really care for it to be honest, it came off a bit unbalanced to me.. and a lot less thirst-quenching than I had hoped.

2. Yeah, I had it a couple of times myself and pretty much agree. It hardly even tastes like a saison in my opinion, it would probably have been better described as a hefeweizen.

hoser and matthaslaservision like this.
  3. I had a growler of it. It is an ok saison, but not anything wow. I guess I had high hopes based on other offerings.

matthaslaservision likes this.
  4. exactly this

hoser likes this.
  5. I found it to be a more rounded, heavy-bodied saison, i.e. not overly dry and thin, and weirdly informed by that barnyard funk. Different from the norm, to be sure, but worthy of a try, at the very least.

6. Definitely worth a try (seeing as Rutager was so fond of mentioning how everyone has different palates) but I literally got no barnyard funk. In fact I got no funk whatsoever. All I got was a huge heaping of yeast similar to a wit beer with some fruit (banana, I think? It's been a while) in there.

Overall, Herbie Hancock would be very disappointed, that's how lacking in funk it is (yes, I was waiting to use this; sue me)

Edit: and I mean, it's not offensive. It's definitely drinkable. It's just not what I'd call a saison, and neither should P49.

7. Superfondbro!! :cool: Glad to hear that my reasoning has stuck with you.

8. Reminded me of Deckhand.

9. it just wasn't p49 enough if that makes sense, i've been liking their off kilter styles.. it seems too safe.

10. hoser

hoser Savant (380) Alberta (Canada) Feb 17, 2003

It tasted like an under attenuated hefe to me with me this none of the saison qualities that I seek out. Gave away most of my six pack and won't be a repeat customer on this one.

11. Ok, so I've been waiting a few days to ask this one to see the thread/reviews progress.

I've not had the beer, so can't form my own opinion. Other than biboergosum or canucklehead - for the rest of you though:

Why are you giving this beer a pass in the ratings by not reviewing it?

I'm sure the brewers wore their big boy pants to work, so why not give em some constructive comments in a full out review?

Hornet2003, papat444 and Rutager like this.
  12. That's the only beer of theirs I'd had but hadn't rated, mainly because I completely forgot about it. I've since added a quick rating for it (been too long since I've had it for a full review, and I'm not spending more money on it), a fairly underwhelming 3.25 :(

13. hoser

hoser Savant (380) Alberta (Canada) Feb 17, 2003

Three of the people I gave my unwanted bottles to thought the same, that is good even for me.

14. Why does P49 insist on releasing certain brews in 6-packs? They've been hit-or-miss enough for me that anything sold in sixers is just getting auto-passed up at the store. There's a time and a place for a $13 risk and this, unfortunately, isn't one of them.

FondueVoodoo likes this.
  15. Have one chilling in the fridge, we'll see what happens.

16. I liked it on tap . Have not had it in bottle. The thick mouthfeel worked for me and it had a slight funk that it is part of the style.