1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pairing Cheese and Beer. Post your fav

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by bpgpitt10, Mar 15, 2013.

1. I had a groupon for $50 at a local cheese shop that is also a beer and wine place. I tasted all kinds of stuff and found myself grabbing 3 bottles of Saison Dupont after picking the cheeses thinking how good it would be with some of the really earthy cheese I bought.

I haven't done a ton of pairing cheese with beer though. I trust my palette once I try something, but I'd like to be able to buy cheese specifically to pair with beer I have in the fridge. Beer tends to always be on hand so cheese would be the second purchase. That's an issue for me because I don't have a great handle on the flavors / pairings of the hugely diverse cheese world.

What are some of your favorite pairings?

2. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Decent cheddar and IPAs, goat cheese and Belgians... Lambics and Cambozola (or a softer mellower brie), particularly sweet Lindemans.. Soft cheeses barleywines, big stouts.

One of the great things about a good cheese shops are the ones who will just let you try anything before you buy it. If you are not sure always ask.

3. Yeah I tried everything I bought today which meant I tried a lot of cheese. Not a bad afternoon :) Realistically though, I do a lot of hurried shopping and not always at good cheese places so looking for some go-tos and such.

4. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

Barleywine and stilton. Here's a 2011 Brooklyn Monster I deliciously paired it with a couple months ago

[​IMG]

5. wyatt13

wyatt13 Savant (475) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

My favorite to date has been an intense aged Gouda with a nice scotch ale. If you have one that's barrel-aged like Backwoods Bastard, that just takes things to a whole new level!

BEERchitect likes this.
  6. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

Smoked gouda and a heavy RIS

buffs9 and BeerKangaroo like this.
  7. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (370) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

Moody Blue smoked blue cheese with 2011 Dark Lord.

Gouda & Barleywine

duchessedubourg likes this.
  8. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

This thread is so timely - the wife and I just brought home a few cheeses - a smoked gouda, a brie, and a Vermont cheddar (and some crackers, bread, and olives, etc.). She's going the wine route, but that's not for me!
    In my fridge I have an Espresso Oak Yeti, Stone's Oak-Smoked Old Guardian (OSOG), and DFH's Theobroma (and Brooklyn's Silver Anniversary lager, but I figured I'd save that for New Beer Sunday).
    So I'll sample the Yeti and OSOG with the cheddar, brie and gouda. I'm thinking the gouda and brie will be good with the Yeti, and the smoked gouda or VT cheddar might work with the OSOG. I'm thinking that serendipitously, I have some good pairings. The Theobroma seems to be the odd-man-out.
    [​IMG]
    I'll try (no promises) and snap some photos later while we're eating (romance - lol) and let you know how it worked out.
    Ah, beer and cheese...

chanokokoro likes this.
  9. Greywulfken

Can't say I found any "favorite-able" pairing in my little excursion, so I opted to post in the Sharing Your Pairing thread here...

10. Humboldt fog and any lambic. Also good with Temptation and Supplication

Well aged Gouda with big stouts.

Maytag blue with a DIPA or Barleywine.

11. So ate some of the cheese with the Saison Dupont. The Hoch y Brig cheese was straight up awesome with Saison Dupont.

Thanks for all the recommendations thus far!

12. in the past year i've managed to find some unpasturised cheddar, which is rare. i enjoyed with a bottle or two of fullers bengal lancer ipa, the bite of the cheese and hop was superb

13. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (335) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

I love a good cranberry stilton with an English barleywine.

14. How much is this?

youbrewidrink likes this.
  15. It leans toward the pricey side at $39.99 if you order it from someplace like "Murray's Cheese", but it's well worth it. It's only available from January - June due to the winter milk used. Murray's was the first place I ordered it from and definitely recommend it for other cheeses as well. This year, I actually found some Winnimere at Whole Foods, but they had marked it up to about $50.

http://www.murrayscheese.com/cheese/winnimere.html

UCLABrewN84 likes this.
  16. finsterbaby

finsterbaby Zealot (75) New York Nov 17, 2008

Don't mean to hijack the thread but beer do you all recommend for Morbier?

17. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I recently picked up (and consumed) some 9 year old aged Cheddar and some Kerrygold Irish Swiss at the Mars Cheese Castle when I was up in Wisconsin. Both these cheeses paired excellently with New Glarus Moon Man Pale Ale as well as with other IPA/APAs in general. Blue cheese and stouts go well together as well. Fuck, I love cheese!

18. Such an amazing cheese, worth every penny...It is also washed with Hill Farmstead Beer.

Henamonster likes this.
  19. Yeah, you'd think that bit alone would make this cheese one of the most sought after on this site. Ha!

Here's the write-up from the farm:

"This exciting cheese was developed by Mateo Kehler to harness the rich, high-fat, high-protein winter's milk of the Ayrshire heifers at Jasper Hill Farm. Wrapped in cambium cut from the spruce trees on the farm and washed in a beer from our friends and neighbors at Hill Farmstead Brewery, Winnimere shows remarkable variation from batch-to-batch - sometimes smoky, sometimes fruity, sometimes mustardy, sometimes meaty. For serving, we encourage you to peel away the top rind and let the bark form a bowl for the spoonable paste within."

20. I just had some morbier last week and paired it with Dogfish Head's 75 min. IPA w/maple syrup. They went surprisingly well togther. The cheese has a bit of a tangy funk to it (not overly pungent,) so the beer was a good contrast. I'd like to try something like The Bruery's Autumn Maple (brewed with yams) and see how that goes with cheese (the more pungent, the better! IMO.)

21. finsterbaby

finsterbaby Zealot (75) New York Nov 17, 2008

Thanks for the reply! This gives me some ideas. I don't have anything on hand that has maple syrup in it but I'm wondering if something like a JW Lees would work (for the brown sugar component) or even a Nugget Nectar (for the IPA/Hoppy component).

22. VAbdoyan

VAbdoyan Savant (260) California Jul 24, 2011

I love me some nice creamy brie cheese with a nice saison or gueze.

chanokokoro likes this.
  23. I can buy Winnimere at the general store in Greensboro a mile from where it's made for $15/lb. It sells in metro areas (and even Burlington 60 miles away) for $22-$32/lb. I've got a wheel in my fridge right now waiting for a Hill Farmstead pairing - likely James. Another Greensboro-based favorite is Jasper Hill Bayley Hazen Blue with any rich stout from Hill Farmstead - the combo is a ringer for chocolate-chip cookie dough if the stout is sweet-ish.

Henamonster likes this.
  24. polishkaz

polishkaz Savant (455) Connecticut May 30, 2011

Harbison is also another great blooming rind from Jasper Hill that has some similarities to Winnimere. Can actually find it at cheese shops and whole foods down here in CT. Think I paid $17 at WF for a small wheel.

Henamonster likes this.
  25. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I'll have to check this out. I've never paired brie with a saison, but I imagine it would be fantastic. A more earthy brie would certainly complement and emphasize the earthy contributions of the farmhouse yeast.

My favorite pairing is a soft ripened triple creme brie with a lambic, gueuze, or a sour American Wild Ale. One of my new found favorites is Moon Dust, a Canadian triple cream brie, that my lady and I have enjoyed with Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus, Vigneronne, and St. Lamvinus. Last night I paired some St. Marcellin (French triple creme brie) with Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend. Heavenly to say the least...

[​IMG]

VAbdoyan likes this.
  26. Moondust is really an awesome cheese! Try their Lady Laurier, too - trople creme brie with just a hint of vanilla! Love it with Quebec saisons from Hopfenstark...

chanokokoro likes this.
  27. nineball

nineball Aficionado (130) New York Mar 19, 2013

Another vote for a big stout and Gouda.
    My fav is FBS and a quality smoked Gouda.

28. Both sound pretty good. Maybe even a solid nutty brown ale would work as well (I'm certainly not too scientific in my approach. It's more of a "what do I have?" on hand that sounds like a good match.)

29. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Will do. Lady Laurier is on the shopping list.

30. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (270) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

Would you do a smoked or aged Gouda with a big stout?

And would Brie work with stouts?

31. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

This cheese with everything

[​IMG]

BuckeyeOne likes this.
  32. Is it as bad as the football team?

chanokokoro likes this.
  33. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's won more awards than all the WSU athletic teams combined.

34. Greywulfken

Messed around with some cheeses and big beers last week, but didn't produce any faves.

Last night, hit the nail on the head:
    [​IMG]
    On the plate: Vermont cheddar and smoked gouda cheese
    In the glass: Titan IPA

I'm sure these cheeses would be fantastic with any IPA and some of the crisper DIPAs. I was more partial to the gouda with the Titan than the cheddar, but they were both excellent. Addictive.

35. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

Last night my girlfriend and I had Humboldt Fog drizzled with some amazing juniper balsamic and paired with Smuttynose's Gravitation quad. It was really excellent.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  36. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

Humboldt Fog with Fou Foune is heaven

37. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

Definitely no on the brie.

I'd say a smoked gouda over aged with a stout. Not sure the caramel/butterscotch notes of a good aged gouda would pair well with a stout. Maybe a barleywine for aged gouda. Barleywines are great with blues too.

38. I would've agreed - until I was forced to use a stout and some brie for a client pairing - and it was all cafe latte, surprisingly. A triple creme brie would work best. Wasn't my fave, but it does work on a very different level. An open mind can come in handy sometimes and you end up with a pairing you would never expect to work.

39. The Cellars at Jasper Hill really kills it across the board. All of the Brands they have are amazing and pair great with all different types of beers. I used a lot of their cheese at the last kitchen I worked it. I can usually find most of it at the Whole Foods here in Philly, but it is also nice you can order directly from their website.
    Nothing beats Landaff on a burger with a can of Heady Topper.