1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Pairing for homemade, dry cured salami?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Providence, Jan 3, 2013.

1. In only my third attempt at homemade charcuterie I pulled of an amazing dry cured, tuscan style salami. I hung it to cure in my closet for about three weeks and, to my surprise no one that has eaten it has had to go to the hospital, ha ha. I am looking for a nice brew to pair with my creation. It's got a little garlic, a little fennel, some black peppercorns, a good splash of chianti, and big chunks of back fat in it.

Additionally, I have been serving this salami with my homemade pickled eggplant. So I am looking for a nice brew that pairs well with the fat and richness of the salami and the tang and spice of the pickled eggplant.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

2. Pepe Nero sounds like it'd be tasty with this to me. Matilda could be nice as well.

3. Good suggestions! While I stay away from Goose Island, a spicy Saison sounds like a great idea! I'd love to try the salami with a bottle of Saison De Buff actually. I know a lot of folks weren't big on that brew, but I liked it and the herbs involved may work well with this mix. Thanks for getting me thinking along these lines!

4. Fair enough on GI... more for me :)

If you decide to skip the pickled eggplant, I would definitely recommend something like Cuvee Renee that has some acidity to match the richness of the salami. Keeping the eggplant in the equation just means you need a saison that doesn't have much sour to it or you might not have enough balance... though I could see a light tart working well to be a bridge between the two.

I'm jealous about you making the homemade salami... something I've never even thought about trying before.

5. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Give Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock a go, or if you're in the mood to experiment get a bottle of your favorite Trippel.

6. I really thought I would fail, mainly because of all the temperatures and humidities needed to pull it off. I live in a drafty old ass house (as in really old, built in early 1700's) and figured something would get messed up. Nope, everything came out bad ass.

By the book Charcuterie by Ruhlman and Polcyn. It's changing my life!

7. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Brewery Vivant Zaison has a bit of pepper and a sweetness that would go with something cured and fatty. Did you smoke it at all or just hang it?

8. Thanks for the suggestion, never heard of that one.

No smoking, just dry curing. The temperature of this salami hasn't exceeded 80 degrees Fahrenheit at any time.

9. I just tried Rodenbach 2010 Vintage 144 with some Columbus pepper salami... left me speechless. These cultures work well.