1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pairing with B&W Boston Brown Bread

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by woodychandler, Jan 5, 2013.

1. I had a beer yesterday that put me in mind of B&M's Boston Brown Bread, thusly inspiring me to ask for it at the Manor Shopping Center's Weis Market. The girl at the service counter told me that all of their bread is in one specific section. I then informed her that it comes in a can and may not be in the "Bread" aisle. She gives me the same incredulous look that I so often get from my students and begins laughing. She thought that it was a prank until I insisted and she called a manager. Sure enough, it was in a totally separate aisle, next to flour. Now the question arises as to what beer to pair with the bread. Bear in mind that it contains molasses and raisins in contemplating your response.

2. Are you eating it plain or toasted & buttered, or accompanying beans?

I get a taste for it occasionally, too, and it can be tough to find in some stores. I usually find it (when I do find it) next to the B&M Baked Beans, altho' I always reach for Grandma Brown's Beans instead. (Used to be an upstate NY specialty, but luckily I can get my stash from Wegman's these days. In fact, along with Polar soda pop, in particular their Orange Dry and Cape Code Cranberry sodas, those are usually the only items that get me ambitious enough to fight the crowds at that store).

I suppose a porter would work well, or a sweet stout. Maybe even something stronger, like Samichlaus.

EDIT- Just struck me. "Bread in can." So, you've expanded that Can fetish of yours to foods? ;)

3. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

ESB- Never had the bread but I remember these beers having a light fruity flavor with toasted malts, might not be strong enough to stand up to the molasses.

Scotch Ales- I think the sweetness of this style would hold up, and if you have a strong enough one the alochol should cut thru the sweetness of the bread.

Old Ale- Dark fruits like raisins is what I always take away from this style. Like above the abv should cut thru the sweetness. might pair well.

Doppelbock- Thinking of Ayinger here, bready malts with underlying notes of nuts and chocolate might work very well. Plus it would be a bread in a bottle to go with your bread in a can.

Good luck in your quest! Now I'm off to see if such a thing exists on local store shelves.

4. As a fetishist, anything in a CAN is fine with me. The Old Lady initially put up a fuss, but she has also learned to embrace the CAN.

5. Think dark and sweet. Doppelbocks, Old Aged, Belgian Quads, etc. You could get into Porters and Brown Ales but try to stick more to the English varieties and less of the bitter American varieties. To my knowledge, that bread had a decent bite from the molasses, so I think something too astringent and heavy on the roasted barley might just be too much. I actually make my own Brown Bread using Rogue's Hazelnut Nectar (though I bake it, I don't steam it in a can) and it's delicious. That works well as a pairing, too.