1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Palate Wrecker in the South Bay?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Stevicus, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus Member

Any sitings would be appreciated. I am talking about below Palo Alto. The Whole Foods in Los Altos does not have any. They do have about 40 cases of Lagunitas Sucks for people looking though.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Hopmother

Hopmother Member

I was at Mr. k's near the bruery they got it in 4 pack and 22 oz bottle.
    Stevicus likes this.
  3. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Member

Mr. K's is about 400 miles south of Los Altos. lol
  4. Beerdy

Beerdy Member

Whole Foods in San Jose has 4-packs and bombers. They are also getting Pliny tomorrow.
    afrokaze likes this.
  5. Stevicus

Stevicus Member

That is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy South Bay!
  6. Hopmother

Hopmother Member

OC gets their beer very late. If they have this beer i am sure its all over the place.
  7. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Member

Do you shop at any other stores besides Mr. K's?
  8. dcgunman

dcgunman Member

Check your local Total Wine n More. The HB store got there's in last week. 4 packs and bombers. Picked up a couple of 4 packs with coupon minus $2 for 7.99. Bombers are 8.99. Deal. Mr Keg had it in as well. But not Whole Foods. . . .yet.
  9. rrryanc

rrryanc Member

Wow, you guys really missed the location on this one. From his user profile, OP is from San Jose, CA. So South Bay refers to South Bay Area in Nor Cal. Further reinforced by his mentions of Los Altos and Palo Alto.

On topic: I haven't shopped south of Palo Alto in a while OP, sorry.
    PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  10. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Member

It made it to Santa Cruz, so I'm assuming it's hit SJ area as well.
    MontereyBay831 likes this.
  11. burgundysmoke

burgundysmoke Member

where in santa cruz?! i guess i havent checked bevmo in the last week..
  12. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Member

13. burgundysmoke

burgundysmoke Member

haha I had my friend stop by for me yesterday for a sucaba. gotta get there myself. thanks!
  14. Hopmother

Hopmother Member

i do but i stop by there most of the time cuz its near the bruery.
  15. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Member

Do people enjoy this beer? If so, I'd like to hear why.
  16. Stevicus

Stevicus Member

I enjoy this enormously. Main reason I am looking. Big hops and not as sweet as other beers in its class. Bevmo is super hit or miss with beers like this. WF in the S. Bay is off the beaten path for me, but so is everywhere else anymore. And I have noticed a trend in distribution in San Jose, it sucks. They sit on seasonals until they feel the last season has passed. I have seen spring and summer beers in winter because they did not sell and they do not understand want to accept they did not sell these beers. It is horrible.
  17. rrryanc

rrryanc Member

I had it a few years back at Hamiltons when it was still their anniversary beer, and it was an amazing beer. The stuff in the bottles has unfortunately not matched up, whether due to rose/beer colored glasses to the first few times I had it, or because they're several weeks to months older when I get them, or because it's just not as good as it used to be. Too bad too, because it was delicious.
  18. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Member

Since Green Flash doesn't appear to bottle date, is this just hitting distribution now or was it brewed a while ago?
  19. Stevicus

Stevicus Member

They date now! Since I think June of last year. I did not know this, and bought a PW from last year without knowing it. I am hearing of bottle dates as recently as 1/31/13, and 2/1/13. Date is in yellow below the front label.
  20. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Member

On the paper itself or the glass?
  21. mattdbh

mattdbh Member

22. burgundysmoke

burgundysmoke Member

23. HoppySuds

HoppySuds Member

I think the problem with the request is that pretty much every city in CA has a "South Bay" area. Perhaps you should be more specific with cities or counties in which you are looking.

Cheers
  24. Stevicus

Stevicus Member

I used to be afraid Bay Area would be confused with Wisconsin, et al. I had that happen before. I had never heard anyone in SoCal refer to any area down there as South Bay.
  25. rrryanc

rrryanc Member

Again, he did mention Palo Alto and Los Altos in the OP, and his profile location is San Jose. I think he was pretty specific with the location.
  26. MontereyBay831

MontereyBay831 Member

Hell ya aptos. i was just there last night at AJ's. picked up some goodies.
  27. stodbrew

stodbrew Member

Zanotto's on Foxworthy had some when I was there last, a few days ago.
  28. Stevicus

Stevicus Member

Thanks. Bevmo fails again.
  29. afrokaze

afrokaze Member

It's on tap at Original Gravity, for now.
  30. brabuse430

brabuse430 Member

Socal has their own South Bay - It's considered PV, Torrance, Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan, Carson, etc.
  31. JohnQ

JohnQ Member

I had forgotten about Zannotto's.Used to live near one off of The Alameda.

And honestly,at the risk of again bashing Bevmo,I just am at the point I don't get mad.Just disappointed.Good thing is I'm spending less money on brew.I'm about due for a TW Arden trip.

And I noticed that Bevmo also seems to have a lot of (obviously) overstocked Holiday ale.Still at regular prices IIRC.
  32. Stevicus

Stevicus Member

Bevmo is seriously guilty of insider trading. ANYTHING that is supremely good, in most locations, will not make it to the floor, event though the majority of stocking is done by the distributors. Too many times to count, but here is my favorite one: Bear Republic Racer X, bottled for SF beer week last year for the first time ever. Sitting in BR pub the week after beer week. Pick up literally the last bottle they have in Healdsburg. Bartender says why bother, 80% of the bottled run was set for Bay Area distribution, PRIMARY retailer being Bevmo. How much hit the shelf? None. Inside story was the beer orderers(?) were already making deals with the San Diego branches to let them order it all for personal kick backs. I have still never seen a Racer X in a Bevmo. Have got it from other places.
    The Zanotto's near the Alameda was getting a good supply going. Still missed on some crucial runs, but I remember picking up a 6er of Double Dog for the 4 pack price.
  33. JohnQ

JohnQ Member

Think I've gotten Racer X at Bevmo once or twice.Not a special release though.IIRC Zanotto's had a decent selection but high prices.I haven't lived down there since 99 though.

At this point nothing would surprise me about Bevmo.I like it a lot but like I said continue to be disappointed when searching for special things.And I think I have a decent relationship with the guys in my store.
  34. Seanvino

Seanvino Member

FWIW I picked up Racer X at Bevmo in Sunnyvale and wasn't even looking for it.
  35. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Member

36. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Member

Go to the Van Ness Bevmo in San Francisco. They have 8 cases rotting in the back (at room temperature of course).
  37. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Member

So cal has an actual true South Bay. Not your bullshit up north. I.b. baby
  38. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

FYI - That's a fairly old bottle unless they released a new batch.
  39. Seanvino

Seanvino Member

Sorry I wasn't clear, this was last year.
  40. JohnQ

JohnQ Member

So I made it over to TW Arden.I actually overheard a customer asking a salesperson about Pliney.I mentioned to them I had seen it in a shop in W SAC but nobody bit.

Anyway I found some Palate Wrecker but it was dated 12/18/12 ? Against my better judgement I got 2 bombers only because I don't know if I will ever see any again.In the fridge now to drink tomorrow.

So I can't help but wonder what's worse.Bevmo not having it and saying it isn't available until early Feb for beer week.Or TW having it on the shelf but it's 2 months old ?