Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Latin America Panama

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by Redrover, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Redrover

Redrover Champion (810) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

Hi All, I’m heading to Panama for a 10 day visit. Any suggestions on local beers to try, available imports, general travel tips on food, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
  2. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Savant (385) South Carolina Feb 2, 2010 Verified

Beers I had were your typical lagers, which in Panama, wasn't all that bad. Panama (this is the name of a beer) was my favorite, I also had Balboa and Atlas, which weren't anything to write home about. But sitting the beach with a 6 pack of Panama was glorious.
  3. Merahute

Merahute Initiate (15) Feb 1, 2013

I live in Panama City and all the cultured locals drink is Panama. It has won a number of international awards (according to said locals) and is very smooth and crisp, no aftertaste to worry about and agree with Gator, very nice while sitting on the beach in Contadora, or Taboga or Gorgona or Coronado or Punta Cheme. If you head down towards Punta Chema, be sure to try the local Indian drink called Checheme....delicious. Don't waste your money on Atlas or Balboa, Soverano isn't bad, but go with the crisp taste of Panama.
  4. Redrover

Redrover Champion (810) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

I had a great time and actually rented a beach house in Punta Chame. Wish I would have known about the Checheme as I would have tried it.
    My favorites Panamanian beers were in order:
    #1 Balboa
    #2 Panama
    #3 Atlas
    #4 Soberana (that was pretty awful)
  5. ewright

ewright Savant (450) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

I just stumbled across this thread. I'm going to spend 4 days in Panama City (late April) with my wife while she is on a work trip. Pale lager is all I really expected, but good to see which ones are the best of the bunch.

6. There is actually an up and coming craft beer scene in Panama. For Brew Pubs, check out La Rana. They have two locations, one in Casco Viejo (near Habana Panama) and another in Einstein Circle, near Via Argentina. The full name is La Rana Dorada in case you want to google it. They usually have 4 different types of beers: an IPA, a porter, a witbier, and a pilsner. I think they may also have a pale ale. There are a couple other brew pubs, but this is the best one to check out and actually has good beer.

There are a couple of good bars that have various selections of Euro imports, and even some decent American ones. Don't expect too much though, its usually things like DFH 60, Stone IPA, and a few others that are pretty ubiquitous in the US.

If you have any more questions about specific areas or anything, feel free to ask. I am pretty familiar with the country and whats available food/beer wise.
  7. dmorgan310

dmorgan310 Advocate (630) Panama Jan 30, 2012

My favorite Panamanian beers in order would be 1.Panama, 2. Balboa, 3. Atlas, 4 Soberana. When shopping for beers find a Filipe Motta store (http://www.felipemotta.com/) for a decent selection of imports. I also find rotating European imports on the shelves of the local grocery stores here in Coronado.
    La Rana Dorada is a nice pub but I think only their pilsner is a good representation of the style. Their other beers are palatable, but nothing to write home about.