1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Pannepot 2007 - infected?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by wesbray, Jan 23, 2013.

1. I've just seen a batch of 2007 Pannepot in a bottle shop. I've seen around that there were some infected bottles. Has anyone tried these? Is there any way to tell whats infected and what isn't?

2. Struise definitely had some QC issues in the past, and I've had more than a few infected gushers in the past. You're also talking about a 5-6 year old beer that sounds like it was sitting on a room temp shelf, so there is a very good chance it's over the hill by now anyway.

Might be worth trying one, but beers like this are always a lottery ticket. You won't know until you open it.

AnotherImperial likes this.
  3. It hasn't necessarily been sitting in that particular store for 5 or 6 years. Struise often releases vintage batches of beer that they have been holding onto. More likely it was sitting somewhere at the brewery for most of that time.

BaltimoreBeerGuy likes this.
  4. BobZ

BobZ Advocate (530) Massachusetts Jun 24, 2009

There was a percentage of Pannepot 2007 that was infected. I'm not sure of any way to tell the "not infected" from the infected without opening the bottle and trying it.

Dependent on the price, I would definitely take the risk. In my opinion the 2007 (un-infected) is the best beer I have ever had, I enjoyed it more than aged (2+ years) Westvleteren 12.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/15237/34306/?ba=BobZ

Buy one, try it, if it taste sour cherry/funk with hints of vinegar it's infected. If not go back and buy all they have! :p

It's worth mentioning that Pannepot Wild is a coveted sour that is rumored to be not all that extremely different from the infected 2007. So if you like sours it may be a "win-win".

5. It's hypothetically possible, but I've never seen any Pannepot prior to 2008 released at a later date. They also show up in droves on the online web shops when vintage batches get released, and very little usually trickles into overseas stores. Again, it's possible, but with a 2007, I'd assume it sitting on shelves unless there is evidence to the contrary.

6. BobZ

If it's on the shelf in sunlight for over 5 years it may be dicey, if it was "in the back" then chances are it may not be terribly different than the cellared versions. All Pannepot ages extremely well, as I mentioned the 2007 is drinking exceptionaly well right now, I'm down to my last 5 bottles and I'll probably shed a tear when it's all gone.:D

It's also worth nothing that in (literally) well over 100 bottles of De Struise beers consumed, this is the one and only beer that I have ever encountered with a quality issue.

7. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (555) California May 3, 2011

I had a 2007 last month and it was fucking awesome...

Cheers!

BaltimoreBeerGuy and BobZ like this.
  8. Yeah, like I said, it's a lottery ticket.

I've had a lot more problems than that with older Struise beers. I'll never forget the first two bottles I had of both Witte and Rose (back to back) that damn near exploded all over me when I opened them. Also had a couple of Pannepot gushers, there was the really off Black Albert batch a few years ago, and even the first St Amatus I had was clearly off.

I've had almost no problems with more recent beers, and I definitely drink a lot of Pannepot (and their variants...).

ShogoKawada likes this.
  9. Took a gamble and bought a few bottles. Unbelievably good and no sign of infection. I'm a big quad fan and this may well be my favourite. Not bad for 6 bucks a bottle!

BobZ likes this.
  10. BobZ

That is an incredible win! I would go back and buy the lot if I were you. That beer is incredible in every way.:)

Plus, Urbain simply refuses to go back to 2007 and make more!:D

Douglasjamjak likes this.
  11. infi

infi Savant (455) New York Apr 4, 2009

I received one as an extra in a trade, with explicit notice that it was infected. So I do believe that there were a couple unfortunately affected bottles. Have yet to open it, but I'm willing to try it.

12. The pannepot 07s that I had that were infected were all coded c7bb. All other 07s I had have been fantastic. The best vintage I have had was the 06. I haven't been able to track any down in a year and a half though.

BobZ likes this.
  13. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I had 2008 few months ago and it was great - although Quad (or Belgian dark strong ale, however they categorize this) isn't really my favorite type of beer in general.

14. I opened an 05' recently, definitely over the hill. I don't think it was infected, but it was a bland, flat oxidized mess.

15. Pretty sure i'm going to go back and buy the lot, think there were about 15 bottles or so left.

BobZ likes this.
  16. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Take the risk, the 2007 I had recently was delightful. I am not saying it wasn't infected, I dunno - I am just saying I liked it. We had a 2009 and 2010 along with it, so,...

17. Last year, the Pannepot '07 and the Pannepeut '06 were a couple of the best Belgian strong dark ales I've had. I wasn't aware of the infection issue with some bottles, but I will say that this beer ages extremely well. Definitely worth the risk :)