1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Parabola in Chicago

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by averagejake872, Apr 30, 2012.

1. trbergman

trbergman Savant (450) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

It's now sold out

2. dman127

dman127 Savant (260) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

See what you mean, but since this post is "Parabola in Chicago", I assumed he was referring to that. Would much prefer he was talking about Fruet. Either way, no store name was mentioned, so no harm done if I was wrong.
    Edit: UnderJoath was talking about pricing for Parabola, so shame on that store.

3. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

I know this was mentioned in a post a few days ago but Lundeens in Sycamore still has Parabola on the shelf as of Monday at noon. There's probably 5 bottle left @ 15.99.

4. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (725) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Binnys Buffalo Grove still has it ya know :p

5. ThirstT

ThirstT Aficionado (160) Illinois May 5, 2012

Now that I was finally able to acquire Parabola (thanks to mjohnson's post!), Im wondering about how well it will hold up interms of "cellaring". If I have it in a fridge at about 48 degrees, will it hold for months, a year, years? Any information would be appreciated.

6. Hoozierdaddy

Hoozierdaddy Savant (250) Illinois Apr 24, 2009

Firestone seems to believe that it will age for several years. This particular beer has only been packaged for the third year now if I'm not mistaken so you cant get a definitive answer to this. There's one way to find out!

7. ThirstT

oh, that's news to me. Well then, challenge accepted! Thanks for the information

8. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

I drank a Batch 2 a couple weeks ago and it was great. The cardboard box it comes in says it can be cellared. I am getting a 2010 in my next trade, so can report back once I open it....

Anyone recently tried a Batch 1?

9. jegross2

FW is a brewery that makes bal beer ready to drink. Tasted better than last years batch.
    Crack the parabola now. It's already amazing. Sucaba fresh was better than year old abacus too.

stephenieman likes this.
  10. jegross2

Wanna bring that bottle over eh? I've got a 2011 and 2012 and I'd love to do a vertical

11. stephenieman

stephenieman Savant (275) Illinois Oct 14, 2011

I prefer both AbacuSucaba & Parabola fresh.
    Aging AbacuSucaba specifically is a crime... I found out the hard way.

12. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (370) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

We tried an 11 and 12 side by side a couple of weeks ago at the Chicago Beer Share Event. Both were awesome but we all gave it to the 11. I will say that 2012 on draft beat both outta the bottle IMO. Regardless an insanely good beer.

13. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (730) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Thanks for the heads up, Fred! Hopefully these last til Saturday as I'll be partying in Bull Valley so will be in the area. I'm not crossing my fingers though.

14. vic21234

vic21234 Savant (265) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

They're gone.

15. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

Picked a hell of a time to go out of town. Anyone know of any place out west that has any? I am in Elgin.

On a different note I know of a place in wisconsin with fruet and I am headed back this weekend. I could grab as many bottles as I want fo $31. Looked like they had about 8 bottles.

If I cannot find parabola Id be willing to do a trade, but you'd have to throw in an extra couple things for $4$

16. mychalg9

Aw, shucks! ::kicks rocks::

17. Algonquin's Binny's said they'd finally have some today or tomorrow

71gto likes this.
  18. mychalg9

Anyone know if Buffalo Grove or Lake Zurich Binny's has any? Both are on my way home from work. Otherwise I'll check out Algonquin later tonight.

19. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Although it's a bit of a drive for you, as mentioned before, the Sycamore/DeKalb Lundeens had 5 just sitting on the shelf yesterday, and based on ThirsT's post after I announced that it sounds like there might be 4 left (assuming he only bought 1). There was no limit, but I hope no one was 'that guy' who buys every parabola just because he can. I hate that guy, share the wealth, this beer is hard enough to get as it is, we don't need that guy shrinking the supply even more. :)

71gto likes this.
  20. jegross2

Call them?

kawilliams81 and mdomask like this.
  21. Beat me to it!

22. Buffalo Grove still had it as of 11 today. $14.99 limit 1.

23. mychalg9

TY kind sir!!

24. ThirstT

I didn't go out as far as sycamore, but the limit of one is what I found at a couple of places (as expected). I didn't go as far west as sycamore, so I'd suggest calling your local bottle shops. I heard "most of them are reserved" from one store, so it may be hard to get at this point.

25. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

thanks for the info! Hopefully I can get one. Sometimes it feels like he is hiding some good stuff in back

26. mychalg9

The last few times I've been there they have the new stuff in the locked case along the right wall in the front. Not sure if that will be the case here, but I've seen some limited release (1 bottle per person) stuff in there.

27. dman127

dman127 Savant (260) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

Got one today - call and ask for Ryan to be sure.

28. PDZ

PDZ Savant (260) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

Finally got one at Binnys in Bolingbrook- theyre hiding them in back, (if they still have any more) ask for the beer man- great guy. They also have a few Fruets left on the shelf.

29. Unlike the other Binny's I've been to Algonquin is good about not hiding stuff in the back and instead they've got a glass case lockup for the beers with limits on them. It's towards the front of the store on the craft aisle, anyone will open it for you so you can grab something. I still ask if I don't see something, but I've yet to have them tell me it's in the back and not in the glass case.

30. That's the way it should be done, I usually have to ask someone in the beer department or go to the customer service desk for something "rare". Hopefully the other Binny's will adopt something similar to this so as a customer you can see what else they have that doesn't make it to the shelves.

ControlledBurn likes this.
  31. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (410) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

Just talked with a store guy who sold me a Parabola, then said " let me know if you want any more....." I got the first bottle of 2 cases, I left the rest for ________ fill in the line by beer-mailing me that you missed out, and I'll try to get you there.....

32. jegross2

Parabola release not as bad as BCS. Got 3 and could have gotten a couple more of I wanted and didn't have to run over anyone's grandma this time ;)

33. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Poobah (1,045) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

Booo...

34. jegross2

You got a lot of calls, eh?

35. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Poobah (1,045) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

After a while, you just miss when people would just come on by the store, shoot the shit for a short bit, and ask what's new and/or interesting. Nowadays, I get double-digit phone calls, all for either Gumballhead or the most recent limited release beer. I've begun guessing ahead of time what the calls are for...so far, I've been right about 60% of the time (in baseball, I'd be a legend)...

Long story short: Yup, plenty o' calls lately...

beergurujr likes this.
  36. jegross2

Sorry man. You should answer the phone like they do at stars in madison on release days. "Hello and thank you for calling ____. We don't have any _____ yet/in stock, how else can I help you."

Also FWIW, whenever I stop in, I'm also shooting the shit unless the beer guys are too busy. I often bring a brew in too when I have stuff in the trunk (granted, I used to work at the store I frequent most too, so maybe it's different)

37. mychalg9

I may have gotten the last one at Binny's Buffalo Grove around 3:45.

38. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (325) Illinois May 5, 2008

Ha! I called there to ask Scott if they had any last week, and the woman who answered the phone said he was on vacation. I then asked if she knew anything about Parabola, and she said they had sold out. I'm satisfied with how many bottles I was able to hustle up this year after the work I put in this eve, but went oh-for-Binnys....

39. Algonquin did get their Parabola today, 5 bottles left after I got mine around 7.

40. dman5400

dman5400 Savant (255) Illinois Jan 13, 2011

Stopped by Thursday at noon with the wife and snagged two. Thanks for the tip