1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Parabola in Chicago

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by averagejake872, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Just looked on beer menus and saw cardinal warehouse liquors in Niles has it for $16.99 updated today. Also saw that Bavarian would be closed for 2 WEEKS from 7/1 to 7/18 :( Also continue to notice that the guy at Capones updates beer menus 23487324897x a day.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  2. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

damnit, i want this beer :mad:

3. PDZ

PDZ Savant (260) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

...Places checked yesterday in west burbs: Binnys (bolingbrook, naperville, plainfield hadnt gotten it 'yet') Whole Foods Naperville is expecting it today but has a list thats apparently all full... malloys in naperville has no idea whats going on... and I even checked smaller places like Petersons Fine Wine n Spirits (not getting it), and JP Liquors in Naperville (nope).

The guy from Jp liquors was great tho- had me wait while he called his distro, and I overhead him demanding 50 cases lol, only to be quickly denied, obviously. They dont sell FW, so not even eligible. Great effort tho.:eek:

Hoozierdaddy likes this.
  4. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

Plainfield Binny got theirs this early afternoon. $14.99... There are a couple of bottles left, one per customer. Also got Bruery White Oak and Fruet (pricey bottle!)

5. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Gone from Binny's Bolingbrook.

This one is rough. I know places that still have Sucaba on the shelves, but the Parabola is scarce!

6. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Any Word on St Charles Binnys?

7. Orland Binny's says maybe Tuesday...:eek:

8. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Heard that from two other places today as well.

9. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (410) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

Hi everyone ! Antioch Liquers in Antioch got Parabola today, they had around 1 1/2 cases at 1:30 p.m $15.99 i think and limit 1, also had 2 barrel-aged Clown Shoes beers, $17.99 ea., had 6 of each left. I then went to McHenry to the Binny's, the guy asked how many I wanted (!) , I took 3, they must have alot, $15 ea. Lundeen's in Sycamore has it also. The suburb's are all getting their Parabola, finally. Happy searching boys ! Oops ! Almost forgot, McHenry had 6 Sucaba on the shelf, the beer guy, Adam, said that the warehouse had alot of that "stuff" still ($15).

Mjmoser and pschul4 like this.
  10. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Guess I'll take a drive and see if I can pick one up. Thanks for the heads-up!

11. West burbs alert!! Ardmore Station in Villa Park (on Ardmore Street a few blocks north of St. Charles) just got Parabola in today. Just recieved the call a few minutes ago but i'm at work. Luckily I have a one bottle left.

12. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Anyone that misses out I have an extra bottle I'd trade for some of my beloved BCBS '11. LMK :)

13. I picked one up at Rayan's on Clark. They were also selling XV for $29.95 and Sucaba for $26.95. Serious gouging, but if you didn't get one and really want one, him them up.

14. Picked up a bottle today at the Naperville Binny's. As far as I know they had more left. (FYI they also got in a couple more cases of the Stone Vanilla and Chipotle Porters.)

15. Oh, also, check your local Winestyles. They have started carrying a surprising selection of brews. I was at the one in Woodridge a couple weeks ago and they still had 4 bottles of Abacus on the shelf for $19.99/ea. They might have some Parabola now too.

16. apocalypsezombie

apocalypsezombie Initiate (0) May 12, 2012

Plainfield was out in 40 minutes and Naperville was out by 5. To agree with those above, I know where I can go still get Sucaba for 14.99 a bottle, yet this seems nearly impossible for most to find! Either way, at least I was able to get a bottle from Plainfield. Thanks Plainfield beer guy! Too bad they were out of Fruet by the time I got there, they only received 6. Oh well, main objective accomplished, and they still had White Oak in the back.

17. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Phew...glad I didn't make that 45min drive now.

18. There was PLENTY of Fruet and White Oak at Naperville, fyi.

19. apocalypsezombie

apocalypsezombie Initiate (0) May 12, 2012

Oh well, Naperville didn't have a parabola for me. I'll give em a ring tomorrow and see if they still have Fruet. Thanks for the tip!

20. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

anyone see fruet left in the city?

21. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

In the city...heck no. I'm sure it was gone by mid-afternoon.

22. chanokokoro

Plenty of Fruet? I doubt any store got "plenty" of Fruet. The most I'd heard that any store got was 12 bottles and the majority only got 6 bottles. However, are you referring to White Oak? Some stores got multiple cases (two cases or more) and just put it on the shelf...

23. chanokokoro

There are just not as many people looking for it in McHenry (my hometown). I doubt they got more than a case. I got my father hooked on KBS, and he was able to buy two bottles when it was released at the McHenry Binny's. We cracked them the next time I came over to visit. Always great to drink KBS with Dad!

24. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (260) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

Try Fischmans. I got 2 Fruet's on Thursday night

25. BFro

BFro Aficionado (235) Illinois Feb 1, 2012

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.... I wouldn't buy one from there just on principle.

But back on point. Got one of my bottles of Parabola for $13.99. Thought that was a good score.

JakeT469 likes this.
  26. dman127

dman127 Aficionado (240) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

Binny's in HP got thier's yesterday. Lucky to get one when they opened today. $14.99 - not bad at all. I would suggest calling first before heading out there. Supply was small - limit one bottle per person.
    Happy Hunting!

27. Friend of mine said a liquor store reserved 3 for him at $30 a piece. Eesh.

28. dman127

dman127 Aficionado (240) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

How nice of that store. Hopefully I will never walk in there.

UnderJoath likes this.
  29. Samesies.

dman127 likes this.
  30. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (410) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

Nice to know of another local BA, are you a fan of KBS, I still have 2-4 packs of it, we could do a local trade, if interested, if not no biggie.

31. yepbye2

yepbye2 Aficionado (175) Illinois Feb 23, 2011

The Firkin (Libertyville) tapped a keg of Parabola a couple of hours ago.

funhog likes this.
  32. Algonquin Binny's said they haven't gotten any at all yet, so here's to hoping there's still a chance.

33. mishuggah

mishuggah Savant (265) Illinois Jul 14, 2009

You'd think he would get his beermenus prices and inventory to match his actual prices and inventory considering this fact.

Guess that's too much to ask.

34. moefriedman

Saw 3 Fruets at Clark&Foster liquor store last night. But it was $33.99

35. Are you referring to Fruet, or Parabola?

I am pretty sure the usual price of Fruet is $29.99. When I was in DC a couple of weeks ago, I saw it on the shelves for $30+. When I got on the forums about it, I was told that this is the normal price for Fruet.

So, assuming that UnderJoath meant Fruet and not Parabola, there is nothing to condemn about this liquor store. If you see it at that price, and theres only a handful of bottles in the city (and you can afford a $30 beer) then pick it up while you have the chance.

36. chanokokoro

Actually, I'm not local anymore. I'm from McHenry, but I live in Chicago now. My family still lives out in McHenry, and I'm out there visiting fairly often.

37. chanokokoro

The "usual" price for Fruet is $30.

38. moefriedman

$33.99 not bad but not great. I got it for $29.99
    And still may be a few Parabola's at Cardinal Liquors on Central. Limit 1. I'd call

39. Parabola.

40. chanokokoro

Wow...Thanks, but no thanks...got to love the 100% markup.