1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Parabola in CO

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by arminjewell, Apr 23, 2013.

1. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Yeah, i got to agree with this. I thought Uncle Jacobs was great, but a touch lesser than Parabola.
  2. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Interesting, we all have different palates I guess. UJS wins by half a lap :D, but both great beers. To me, Parabola is much thinner in body and taste. Maybe I shall have side by side. (lots of both in the cellar!!)
  3. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (370) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Uncle Jacob's is drinking amazing right now. So is '12 Parabola. Best thing to do is have them side by side and see if you remain of the same opinion.
  4. denver10

I actually thought of adding the caveat that my opinion of Parabola is largely from having had the chance to try it with around 6 or 7 months on it, while never having tried UJ with anything more than 4 or so months on it. Unfortunately, I long ran out of UJ to do a side by side....though I do have a '12 Parabola thanks to Wilburs throwing them back on the shelves the other week

Perhaps I will do a side by side of '12 Parabola and '12 BCBS instead. By side by side, I mean one beer on one night and the other the next. Sorry that I can't man up like the rest of you and do it all at once. ;)
  5. SalukiAlum

Find a friend to share with!!!!!
    tacosandbeer and denver10 like this.
  6. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (370) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Sharing beer with friends is always fun and presents the opportunity to try out a few different beers. But maybe that's not so manly. ;-)
    denver10 and SalukiAlum like this.
  7. denver10

You all assume I have friends.
    :cool:
    Jasonrm72 likes this.
  8. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Really? Why stop at hops, lets do malts also. IMO these are both BA impy stouts but not comparable because they aren't aged in the same types of barrels. I think FWs barrel aging program is second to none. Their beers are ready when they are released, no cellaring needed.

And I agree, Parabola taste better than UJ. Although I haven't had a UJ in about a year.
    ArrogantB likes this.
  9. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (165) Colorado May 14, 2012

I guess I could be biased because Uncle Jacobs was my first barrel aged beer ever, and it was love all those nights ago lol. Was again a couple weeks ago, best beer I've ever had. Didn't buy enough last year, thats for sure.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  10. Hey everyone...Just moved to the area so I am still feeling out stores. Just figured I would let you all know Liquor Depot in the Springs, which had it priced at $28 last week, now has plenty of Parabola at $13. I know their owner has a less than ideal reputation on here I guess...I've also stopped in at coaltrain but if anyone has any stores they can recommend feel free to BM, definitely looking for some RR goodies.
  11. poonamibaxter

They did last year, not sure about years prior to that as I lived in Houston and we didn't get it or have anything to trade for it.
  12. poonamibaxter

Welcome to the mtn forum and the greatest state in the world mrsandman35. Appreciate the heads up, but fuck that guy for the price gouging. I make it down to the springs to hit up Trinity every couple weeks but that kook can choke on those bottles.
    tacosandbeer and mrsandman35 like this.
  13. Uncle Jacobs is a beast. It's tough to compare it to anything else. I actually feel its not aging all that well. I'm looking forward to the next release because it was phenomenal fresh.

Parabola is great too. I could drink a bomber every night and die a happy man in 3-5 years.
    denver10 likes this.
  14. Iirc, parabola is a blend of bourbon, wine, and retired oak union barrels.
  15. SalukiAlum

Trinity doesn't price gouge? $18+ for a IPA bomber? (and that's after they dropped the price many dollars)
  16. poonamibaxter

They've been on here to defend their pricing and I don't know what it costs them to make beer. If another Trinity opens up selling the same beer for half as much then I will say fuck them also. Redswingline is about $17 for a 750, pretty much in line with Crooked Stave's pricing. I go down there to eat before getting up in the mtns and at $5-6 a pour I don't feel like I am being gouged.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  17. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Trinity stuff certainly isn't cheap, but after the recent price drop I'd say they're in-line with most other similar breweries. The hoppy stuff is still a little much for what it is, but the sours aren't too crazy anymore.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  18. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

I can see the price being pretty in line with the market for everything but the IPA. Pliny would cost about $9 for a 750ml. A 22 of Pure Hoppiness is $6. A $17 IPA is just ridiculous.

Back on topic I got a Parabola at Argonaut last night after calling many places that were sold out. Just in case anyone is still looking.
    drlovemd87 likes this.
  19. bitromp

bitromp Zealot (80) Colorado May 23, 2012

Taking this off topic...

Star Bar currently has bottles of Uncle Jacobs available. It's tasting fantastic!
  20. SalukiAlum

21. bitromp

bitromp Zealot (80) Colorado May 23, 2012

$12 Not too bad
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  22. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Aficionado (220) Colorado Feb 29, 2012

Yeah that SUCKS:D When you can get a 6 pack of SUCKS for $11.. Only other Brewery i have seen with such a ridiculous price for a bomber of IPA was Hoppy Frog and I still think that crap is sitting on shelves around hereo_O
  23. denver10

When talkiing overpriced IPA's, can't forget Odell and Tree Shaker at $14 either.
  24. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (265) Colorado May 31, 2011

Well, there's also that coffee IIPA bullshit from Mikkeller that's $14.99 for 11.2 oz. I'm pretty sure the bottles I see around are 1-2 years old. Superior finally knocked the price down to $12.99.
  25. SalukiAlum

Not a IPA in the world worth more than $10 for a bomber! (not saying there aren't some I may not try ONCE)

Trinity actually lowered their prices a few months back. I like their beer but remember visiting back last Fall with the wife and they were asking $32 for a bomber of their imperial pumpkin beer! Yeah right :) I think the Slap yo Mammy was around $24+ then too.

To be honest I think all beer prices seem to be going up and I partly understand why, because costs for the breweries supplies, ingredients, etc. are rising as well!
  26. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (910) Colorado May 19, 2005

...and distributors raise their prices, too. Those darn capitalists! :rolleyes:
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  27. denver10

Yes to this.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  28. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Exponential Hoppiness was $12 per bomber last time I bought some and it is the only IPA that I'd purchase for more than $10. I'm pretty sure Slap Yer Mammy is not going toe to toe with Expo.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  29. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

A more appropriate comparison would be if some bottle shop was selling slap your mammy for 27$ a bottle.
  30. denver10

End of the day, price gouging isn't unique to either brewer or store. And I would imagine nor distributor.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  31. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Well, if I'm getting fucked, red swingline is a hell of a goodnight kiss.
  32. MoreAbv

MoreAbv Aficionado (145) California Jan 28, 2013

Need to try Uncle Jacobs. Anyone here interested in a barter for '13 Parabola.