1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Parabola Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by radium, Apr 17, 2013.

1. radium

radium Aficionado (130) California Feb 17, 2010

Getting this thread started - it's Parabola hunting season.

I haven't seen it anywhere yet, but Hacienda in Brea said they'll be getting it soon. One bottle limit.
    El_Chupahueso likes this.
  2. We should split threads by NorCal/SoCal.
    blguillen likes this.
  3. kaseydad

kaseydad Advocate (655) California Nov 23, 2008

Agreed....though Norcal may be in trouble. Bought the last 2013 Sacuba on the shelf and was told by an employee that Sacuba was a great beer and that the Parabola release was on May 1st. I mentioned I thought the release was on April 15th.

"Nope, it's May 1st".

Uh-oh.

Note to self.......figure out the delivery schedule for Walnut Creek Bevmo.
  4. grrrah

grrrah Savant (310) California Sep 21, 2009

Plenty of Sucaba all over the bay area. Do you guys know if the Paso brewery runs out?
  5. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

Caps & Taps in Dublin will be getting 12 cases, along with 2 kegs when it's released.

No limits.
  6. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

SoCal usually won't see bottles until 2-3 weeks after the brewery release.
  7. I know when i went up to barrelworks last month they were still selling 2012 Parabola albeit for 35 dollars . Heres a picture of the prices
    [​IMG]
  8. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

No, for the most part they will keep it stocked until the next box release, then through out the year they will randomly put bottles on the shelf.
  9. MLucky

MLucky Savant (345) California Jul 31, 2010

Your guy might know what he's talking about, but... I can't tell you how many times my local bottle shop guys have told me things like that that were completely false. One of my pet peeves, actually. It seems like it shouldn't be that hard to put out accurate info on something like a beer roll out.
  10. yeah, I don't really see it showing up on SoCal shelves till two weeks or so from now. Last year I kept hitting up WF's and found nothing, except one went in the back and gave me the previous year's bottle for $14.99. That was a nice day.
  11. rboinski

rboinski Initiate (0) California Mar 19, 2012

There was an empty spot with a price tag labeled Parabola at my local grocery store yesterday. Didnt ask anyone about it but they have atleast printed a pricetag and left an empty spot
  12. Was that store windmill farms?
  13. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (260) California Aug 2, 2012

Total wine in OC say they'll be getting it towards the end of the month. This is torture!
    PKPUNCH likes this.
  14. rboinski

Nope, Oliver's in Cotati
  15. I'm being so annoying. Calling like 7 different stores every other day. Still nothing in OC
  16. I was told by multiple stores That Nor Cal distribution is slow and to expect it at end of month or beginning of may. Which is odd, cause I saw Stone Stout already.
  17. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

i asked if they had any, and they brought some out so i could buy it yesterday :)
    dvnbtn likes this.
  18. yoitsarch

yoitsarch Savant (310) California Nov 13, 2012

I just talked with a firestone rep. He said shops in socal will receive it next week.
    jibboom56, dvnbtn and PKPUNCH like this.
  19. Dagsy

Dagsy Aficionado (210) California Dec 21, 2012

Whole Foods Coddingtown in Santa Rosa is having the release on Thursday the 18th, and they will be tapping a Parabola keg. Not sure if there will be a bottle limit though
  20. Me and my buddy bought the 5 on the shelf saturday night and went back twice more to check. Didnt ask because felt that i had scored enough with them being 2012s
  21. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

i just checked my bottles and see now they are 2012s. thats fine with me then!!
  22. There we go.
  23. Yeah thats why i was even happier. My trade buddy in Ohio was even more ecstatic haha
  24. Hate to burst your bubble, but....

" the 2013 vintage comes with a fresh twist on the barrel-aging front, specifically the incorporation of retired bourbon barrels from Four Roses Distillery in Kentucky.

“This is the best Parabola we’ve ever made,” Brynildson says."
  25. Hahaha thats fine. Always nice to compare. Plus my buddy is headed up to slo tomorrow. No chasing trucks for me haha
  26. Rau71

It left Paso on Monday, so not sure how long it takes to be processed at the distributors. I was told at the barrel room in Paso that this years even used some whiskey barrels too, but it might just be the four roses. Either way it is a pretty fantastic blend.
  27. larryCA

larryCA Disciple (65) California Mar 20, 2011

Plenty of Sucaba in NorCal still. I think I came across about a dozen bottles tonight in Menlo Park. I imagine Parabola will make it up here by the end of the week or early next week. Monday was quite the release day. Parabola and Stone IRS.
  28. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (280) California Oct 17, 2009

Parabola was released on Monday, 4/15. So Cal stores won't see it for a couple weeks.

That is one slow-ass truck.
  29. rboinski

What time?
  30. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

It has to fight off a lot of hijackers. (Mmmmm...Parabola.)
  31. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (530) California Aug 11, 2007

Post if anybody in Sac sees some. I need my fix. I'll do the same if I stumble across any.
    Devi0us and ParchedNeedBeer like this.
  32. dvnbtn

dvnbtn Zealot (90) California Sep 9, 2012

Really looking forward to this batch and how it compares/contrast to last year's.

For a highly sought-after brew, I was able to track down a few 2012 bottles around Sept and it looks like a few 2012's are still trickling out of shops.

Anyone know what barrels they used for 2012? Thanks!
  33. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Whoa. Score!
  34. Infinite1

Infinite1 Savant (310) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

Definitely need to start lookimg for it
  35. davelag

davelag Aficionado (195) California May 22, 2010

Does anybody know what's the bottle limit at the taproom?
  36. Rau71

I don't know if they have one, but I usually buy four at a time.
    1424IpA likes this.
  37. drbenzo

drbenzo Savant (365) California Jul 13, 2005

My cousin was there opening day and it was 6.
  38. Paso was six. Boullton was two

Man, David Walker, why you gotta take the slow car to deliver this...

[​IMG]
    teamizm and queens1130 like this.
  39. drbenzo

drbenzo Savant (365) California Jul 13, 2005

My cousin picked up six at Boullton...
  40. PlinyFan

PlinyFan Disciple (65) California Jun 8, 2012

Livermore Bevmo is taking resevations.