1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Passover those Easter beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lsummers, Mar 28, 2013.

1. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

In lieu of the long weekend many have, what are your beer related plans or traditions for this holiday weekend?

I'm going to have a shorter day at work today and the rest of the weekend off. So today I plan on meeting up with a friend later today at our local Golden Road Brewery for a beer and I plan on taking a couple small growlers home. Their beer is pretty awesome now that they revamped. Might save those growlers for tomorrow however and watch game of thrones tonight with the girlfriend. Ommegangs Iron Throne will be included.

Since I have friday off I might have to just hang out at my local craft bar with some friends.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to do other than opening up my first cantillon on sunday. Which of course I'm super excited for. May even have to bake up some bread and pretzels this weekend. And of course cook up a fantastic Easter feast that's either baked or grilled and pair it with some Sacuba.

I'm definitely slipping in some video games too, Bioshock Infinite might fit the bill.

Hope everyone's weekend is fantastic!
  2. Thinking about some St. Bernardus ABT 12

I SHould grab some Korbinian Dopplebock while I'm at it
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  3. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Trying to stick with the theme of things, i'm thinking some Evil Twin Even More Jesus, Lost Abbey Angel's Share, and Saint Arnold's Divine Reserve. Cheers
  4. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Bruery Saison de Lente and Upland Blackberry are in my Sunday afternoon plans. Keeping in light for a easy going Spring Sunday
  5. I live far from my family and friends So i'll be staying home definitely drinking a stout while watching Game of thrones.I'm thinking black metal stout, or Clown shoes blaecorn unidragon, both seem appropriate..Maybe some Battlefield 3....speaking of video games..BF4 looks CRAZY!
  6. Headed up to Russian River to have a flight or 2, and stock up on some trade fodder!
    shredder83 and highdesertdrinker like this.
  7. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Bottling oatmeal stout on Saturday, double worship service Sunday. Otherwise will do what I normally do. Walk up to beer table, stare, avoid making a decision, close eyes and pick at random only slight influenced by the visual memory of what sits where on said table... Not having company this year, so don't have to crack open anything particularly special unless I wanna ;)
  8. scraff

scraff Aficionado (235) Maryland Apr 18, 2003

Think some DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus could work. ;)
    rauchfest, gillagorilla and Bluecane like this.
  9. Anything from Shmaltz Brewing!
    nuggetlover and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  10. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

You're actually prohibited from drinking beer on Passover, because barley is one of the main grains that are temporarily un-kosher during the holiday.
    Bluecane likes this.
  11. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I bet you're real fun at parties.
  12. Etan

I didn't make the rule!
  13. Well, Bock is a traditional spring beer and, story goes, was developed for Lent.

But, I'm not a big fan of overly malty beers, so...
  14. What if I drink a beer that is made with a lot of rice? Its a cheap and plentiful brew :D I know, it still uses barley.
  15. I laughed at this title for about 5 minutes no joke...well done OP well done
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  16. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I personally would love to have Etan at one of my parties. Welcome anytime, bud!
    Etan likes this.
  17. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

A straight rice beer would be theoretically cool for Sephardic Jews, I think. Doesn't help me, in any case. Waaaaah.
    JrGtr likes this.
  18. Our fiscal year end is tomorrow so its kind of screwing up our leave early on Good Friday bit but I plan on having Sucks tomorrow night while prepping the meat for the smoker, Red Chair in the day on Saturday while smoking and either my last Rochefort 10 or last Old Raspy in the evening Saturday after we demolish the ribs. Then i have my bottle of The Bruery Sour in the Rye for Easter proper. I just gotta get through all this number crunching; cross eyed already!:confused:
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  19. guezarka

guezarka Savant (280) Massachusetts Jan 27, 2009

Fluffy White Rabbits from Pretty Things will be hopping down the bunny trail towards us on Sunday. And tip of the cap for a great thread title.
    WhitmansNiece likes this.
  20. prime rib on Suday with Sorachi Ace
  21. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (375) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

Breaking my lenten abstinence after services Sunday with some Avery Old Jubilation and some Belgian I can't remember the name of.
  22. De Dolle Bos Keun and some striper on Easter.
    FriarTuckInLuck and CelticAleMan like this.
  23. You left out Easter.
  24. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (260) California Apr 27, 2011

Kern river brewing ( I live right by it ), just release dirty hippie again it was their 6th anniv imperial red very good i will be drinking down a fresh growler of that, and then on 4/1 they callaborated with another local brewery called lengthwise and brewed a hoppy pale ale called kernwise looking forward to trying it and getting growler if it is worthy haha
  25. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (455) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Anyone celebrating Passover with beer is celebrating Easter.
    RobertColianni, nineball and JrGtr like this.
  26. Hmm well I celebrate Ishtar which is worthy to raise a glass!
    FriarTuckInLuck and lsummers like this.
  27. You're having strippers over to celebrate the holiday? Nice!
  28. I grabbed a Gouden Carolus Easter Beer last year that I never got a chance to open. So I let that cellar for the year and I'm gonna pick up two more this week. One to drink side by side with the other, and one to keep the cellar trend going. Maybe I'll grab an extra for the easter after that and gradually grow the vert.
    PeterJ likes this.
  29. OP: While at Golden Road check out Wolf Among Weeds. Just had it at Tony's Darts Away a week ago and that shit was off the hook! I don't know how the ratings are so low. Based on the reviews, I think they may have changed the recipe because there is no way that they are talking about the same beer.

Also, to echo what another posted above, Bos Keun for Easter, for sure.
  30. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

They did actually change the recipe. They did for all the beers except their hef
  31. Yeah After midnight slight technicality.
    keithmurray likes this.
  32. Happy easter it's time to start at 9am.
  33. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

[​IMG]

As my bottle man pointed out, it's actually Certified Kosher!
  34. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (315) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Etan, I think it has more to do with the fact that beer has yeast, a leavening agent, in it than barley. Hasn't stopped me though. I'm a bad Jew...
  35. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Aficionado (200) Ohio Oct 21, 2008

tonight: Jim Norton show in Boston with some Redbones preaction
    Saturday: taxes and some Sucks
    Sunday: nephew's Baptism (Im the Godfather) so breaking out some BA Raspy, BA IST, and BA Bigfoot.
  36. Etan

Actually, yeast strictly has nothing to do with chametz. It is any product made using one of the prohibited grains, combined with water, and left to stand for more than 18 minutes. Although in most cases this involves fermentation, strictly it doesn't need to in order for it to be labeled chametz. Anyway, products containing any of the grains, fermented or not, won't be labeled kosher for Passover by any rabbinical authority.
  37. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (315) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Very interesting, I had no idea that was the reason
  38. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (420) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

I thoroughly support this hahahaha
    dwagner003 likes this.
  39. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (250) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

Don't really have plans for the weekend, but I'm going beer shopping after work today. So, I guess I'll see where that takes me : )
  40. Not Kosher for Passover though.

As for me, Guden Carolus Easter Beer.