1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

PB & J Ale

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by AWlippert, Dec 29, 2012.

1. AWlippert

AWlippert Aspirant (25) Jun 2, 2012

I'm attempting a PB & J beer. Probably a golden or amber ale, looking for smooth, creamy, with a nice head. I have read plenty of threads discussing the dry peanut butter powder but I have purchased Torani syrup (peanut butter and strawberry) and hope they will turn out. I'm trying to figure out the best way to add the flavor. The syrup has sugars which will probably be fermented out... but also contains potassium sorbate so I'm unsure of the ferment-able potential.

Anyone have experience using these syrups in brewing? Any advice?

Here are the different scenarios I'm pondering:

1) add syrup at secondary fermentation and hope the flavors turn out

2) let beer ferment, then pasteurize to kill yeast and then add syrups (I would do it this way but since I do not keg, the beers won't be carbonated...?)

3) add syrups at flame-off

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!
  2. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Peanut butter powder and real strawberry jam, be a man. We sell the powder at work, ills end you some in exchange for some beers.
    Bay01 likes this.
  3. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Porters and pb&j. End.
  4. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (320) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

Potasium sorbate will inhibit yeast activity so 1) the sugar in the syrup will not ferment out and 2) your beer will not carbonate if you plan to bottle condition.

I would try to find another option.
  5. Him

Him Aspirant (35) Florida Dec 29, 2012

+1 to this.... Your better off using the powder in the mash and then racking onto a # or 2 of fruit after 2 weeks or so.