[PDX] Best beer-centric spots with full bars

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by guajolote, Aug 19, 2012.

1. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Since my wife is not into beer (believe me, I've tried), I'm constantly on the lookout for great beer spots in PDX that also serve booze. Even better are spots that have an actual cocktail menu, rather than just standard vodka/tonic, rum & coke kind of offerings.

She'll put up with me dragging her to APEX, Beermongers, Belmont, various brewpubs, etc., but I have to throw her a bone once in a while & go somewhere she can actually enjoy a tasty beverage. Some of the spots we've found that fit the bill: Hop & Vine, Bazi, Horse Brass, Roscoe's, Grain & Gristle, C Bar. There are probably a couple more I'm forgetting...

Any other recommendations that fit the bill? We're always looking for new watering holes to try out, so fire away.

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  2. I am in a similar situation with my wife. Wins so far on the cocktail front have been Higgins and Henry's. I'm not really too versed on PDX drinking holes though.

3. A few other Portland places to try: Old Gold on N Killingsworth, Circa 33 on SE Belmont, North 45 on NW 21st, or Bar Avignon on SE Division. All have solid beer lists and full liquor/cocktail menus (as I recall). Last, but certainly not least, Victory Bar, which is also on SE Division.

djbreezy likes this.
  4. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

You won't be disappointed with The Hop and Vine, Horse Brass, and Grain and Gristle. But I think Horse Brass only does single mixer drinks and not so much cocktails. And Brian's suggestion of Victory Bar is a great one too.

5. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

The Hawthorne Hophouse has wine, cocktails, and a 24 beer tap list. (Presumably the Fremont location too, but I've never been to that one.)

6. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

It's often overlooked, but I think both you and your wife will be very happy if you visit the pilsner room at the Full Sail Riverplace facility. Cheers!

7. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Add another nod for Victory bar

8. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (455) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

If you find yourself in outer SE, you should check out Vintage. I don't recall the exact address, but it's a couple blocks west of Roscoe's. They have one of the most eclectic selections of booze in town, some great cocktail options, and 5-6 rotating taps of good stuff.

9. guajolote

Ran across another good beer/wine/cocktail bar today -- Interurban on N Mississippi. 12 taps & a rotating cask. The cocktail menu looked pretty solid & they also had wine on tap.

djbreezy likes this.
  10. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Lardo?

11. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

This reminds to recommend a place on N Interstate called Pause. Moderately decent beer list with also a cask handle. Pretty good burger and a full bar.

djbreezy and msubulldog25 like this.
  12. Reidrover

Reidrover Advocate (660) Oregon Jan 14, 2003

You probably know Ventis here in Salem do OK cocktails?

guajolote likes this.
  13. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Interurban on Mississippi is worth checking out. Also, Eastburn and another vote for North 45.

Shoot, beat me to it! :)

guajolote likes this.
  14. guajolote

Oh yeah. We're more-or-less regulars there. They do put together some tasty cocktails. My wife has a couple of favorites, and I'm never at a loss for beer choices.

15. guajolote

Nice ninja edit there.

Yeah, Easburn is alright. I love the swing seats & the skeeball downstairs, but something about that place rubs me the wrong way. I think it's because one of the last times I was there, it was $2 pint night, and it was like fratboy central. And the servers/bartenders I've run across there seem to be somewhat clueless about beer.