1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

PDX best brewery

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by djbreezy, May 1, 2012.

?

If you had to choose one from the following, which is your favorite Portland brewery?

1. Deschutes

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. Hair of the Dog

28 vote(s)
    41.8%
  3. Breakside

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. Cascade Barrel House

14 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. Hopworks

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Upright

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  7. Widmer

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. Lompoc

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  9. Bridgeport

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Laurelwood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Curious to see how this leans with all of the dissent on the "visiting PDX threads". I probably missed something but you can only have 10 poll options.

Go.
  2. Hair of the Dog. It's perhaps the only brewery I regularly visit.

(I'd visit Breakside more if it wasn't so far north of where I live, and Upright's always got something good on tap, too.)
  3. I had to pick the barrel house. I rarely visit PDX without a stop there.
  4. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Deschutes, despite the fact that I don't visit them that often, their normal lineup is very solid, and the reserve beers are amazing and extremely well priced.

If I could vote more I'd add Upright and the Barrel House
  5. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I'm curious to see how this turns out. I'll be in dt pdx this July but only have one night so need to choose wisely.
  6. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Had a very hard time making a choice once I narrowed it down to HOTD, Cascade and Deschutes.

but then two words came to mind.... Blue Dot.
  7. guajolote

guajolote Savant (400) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

I picked Cascade, because libbey's statement applies pretty accurately to me as well:

However, Deschutes is a close second. It's a 1 and 1a situation for me. Deschutes has a more diverse lineup that is always solid. Their brewpub one-offs are usually good to great. And the food is some of the best brewpub food in Portland, IMO.
  8. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Fred, Adam, Blue Dot. HotD.
  9. There's some difference between 'best' brewery (title of thread) and 'favorite' brewery (title of poll)...

As for 'BEST', in terms of quality for what they specialize in, it's a tie for me between HotD and Cascade.

As for 'FAVORITE', again it's a tie, but between two completely different breweries. For me, those two are:
    • Upright (I absolutely love saisons for one, and they've shown great diversity and creativity from all sorts of barrel-aged and fruit-added one-offs to a terrific pilsner and nice imperial stout).
    • Breakside (I'll admit a little bias, as this is our 'neighborhood brewery'... but, again, I love and admire the creativity and range of styles - it keeps me coming back week after week).
    In both cases (Upright & Breakside), it doesn't hurt that the brewers are some of my favorite people I've had the pleasure to meet and get to know....

Can't make up my mind on who to vote for, so I'll abstain!
    B

PS: I'm leaving out Deschutes, on the technicality that the bulk of their brewing is done in Bend... :)
  10. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

Where is Pelican Brewery? Are they not near Portland?
  11. Nope. They're about 2 hours west of Portland, in Pacific City.
  12. black13

black13 Savant (390) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

For me, it comes down to what I feel like for the day.

Sour beer -- Cascade
    Saiason/sour -- Upright
    BA goodness/Old ale/BW -- HOTD
    Dinner with my family -- Laurelwood or HUB
    Heading downtown -- Deschutes
    DrAwkward82 likes this.
  13. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

Upright isn't a brewpub. It's a tasting room.
    libbey likes this.
  14. gklover1

Are they not considered a "Portland Brewery"? Oskar Blues is 1.5 hours from Denver (in Longmont), but certainly a Denver brewery.

EDIT: Upon further thought, I don't know of any "Denver" breweries. They are all usually called "Colorado" breweries. Sorry for the threadjack.
  15. John_M

Not really. In the same way folks don't consider Ninkasi or Block 15 to be Portland breweries (2 breweries that are considerably closer to Portland than Pelican is). Also, someone check me on this, but I think it was only within the last 5 years that Pelican beers became readily available in Portland. Before that you'd see their beer on occasion around town, but it was not all that easy to come by.
  16. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

When I started at the station back in '05 we had all 5 of the year round bottles (IPA, Kiwanda, Dory, Mac, Tsunami) on the shelves, and they were being distributed by Blue Dog (now out of business). Then they started distributing through Point Blank, and for one reason or another the relationship went sour, which was when the supply of bottles dried up. They were pretty much unavailable in Portland until Christmas 2009 (IIRC), when they opened their little kiosk in Washington Square, and then a couple months after the holidays they decided to start self-distributing their bottles in PDX again. I'm assuming their decision to start distributing again was heavily influenced by the new law they lobbied for that bumped the self-distribution cap to 5k barrels.

They've now apparently decided that self-distribution was too much of a PITA, so they signed on with Maletis a couple weeks ago. I assume their bottles will be even more widespread throughout OR and WA now.
  17. gklover1

Awesome info for an outsider. Thanks for humoring me. And for the record...HotD for me.

Master...I was the guy that called you from CO about the Consecration a while back. Never could work something out. :(
  18. maltmaster420

I'm sorry to hear that. If I wasn't on a strict trading hiatus I would have been happy to help.
  19. I only have HOTD, Cascade on "special occasions". I am not a Farmhouse Ale fan. That gets rid of Upright. I don't get to Downtown/North Portland very often so there goes Dechutes and Breakside. I don't remember the last time I WANTED to got to Bridgeport. That leaves Widmer, Laurelwood, Lompoc, and HUB. I visit these ones regularly and it was choose between HUB and Laurelwood. I ended up with HUB because I could alternate between their IPA and stout and be a happy man.
  20. gklover1

No sweat at all. It is and was all good!
  21. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Pretty much sums up my thoughts Brian. The quality and national notoriety tag probably belongs to Cascade and HotD. Upright gets the edge from me because I go there more often and always have something new to try. The beer there has been consistently good as of late and any variation issues they might have experienced early on seems to have been resolved. That and the fact I love saisons and pilsners makes this an easy choice.
  22. djbreezy

You guys get so wrapped up in semantics. It was just for fun and out of curiosity. Don't read into it too much. Just pick the one you like based on how you're feeling! Let it ride. :D
    MADhombrewer likes this.
  23. For the record, I did go ahead and pick one... Breakside. ;)
  24. Isn't Great Divide in Denver?
  25. gklover1

Downtown. But it still would be called a "Colorado" brewery, not Denver.
  26. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

I was trolling here and for some reason I thought it said Portland Best Brewpub.
  27. Mahlik

Mahlik Aficionado (245) Oregon Aug 21, 2010

It's like trying to pick your favorite child. If I must pick, I'd probably have to go with HotD. But Deschutes, Cascade and Upright are all right there too. Upright has been killing it recently and has shot up my list. Deschutes is just a damn good brewery, whether it be their year-round or limited releases. I love sours and Cascade makes fantastic sours.
  28. maltmaster420

Picking one off this list is like asking someone, "If you had to lose a finger, which one would you cut off?"
    MADhombrewer likes this.
  29. guajolote

guajolote Savant (400) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Yeah, this poll would be a lot easier if it asked which one of those breweries you could live without/is your least fave.
    MADhombrewer likes this.
  30. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

HotD my choice. Every time I go there I get wowed by one of their specialty beers. Wow factor does it for me.
  31. djbreezy

Yeah!!! Breakside rocks.

Didn't notice... :D

I've gotta say I'm floored that Upright is getting so many votes. It's not even in my top 5.
  32. Not trying to threadjack, but anyone planning on going to the Breakside 2nd anny party next weekend? Sounds like there should be some great brews, alongside some special brews from Upright and The Commons
    djbreezy likes this.
  33. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (405) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

HotD makes incredible beer, but I find myself liking the place more and more each time I visit. Especially now with the rotating *from the wood tap, I find myself visiting and enjoying the place at least weekly. I can't say that with any other place.
    libbey and NWer like this.
  34. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

Cascade Barrel house ftw. Hair of the Dog makes fantastic beer, but their quality and consistency is all over the place.
    Shmeal and djbreezy like this.
  35. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Yup, HOTD is the place I visit most frequently on this list. Great beer, great food, very fair prices and, of course, Wendy is awesome.
  36. Not only do I plan to be there, but I'll be helping out with pouring or ticket sales or something like that. Not only are they serving guest beers, but they're also supposed to have mixed six-packs of some of their featured beers for sale.

Combine the Breakside Party with FredFest the next day and it'll be quite the beery weekend! :D
  37. Completely agreed!
  38. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Isn't deschutes kinda far from portland too?
  39. John_M

Me too. There's almost always an aged Doggie Claws and some other interesting vintage "from the wood" beer on tap, and then there's the vintage bottle selection. Also, every once in a while I'll go to the tasting room and find they've put something awesome on tap. Last time it was a keg of Jim. During OBF last year it was draft Adam from the Wood and a left over firkin of Bob.
  40. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (475) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008