1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

[PDX] Fruit Beer Fest ~ June 9 & 10

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by msubulldog25, May 18, 2012.

1. I posted about the Fruit Beer Fest a while back in this thread, but thought I'd start a new one since I just noticed the beer list posted on their facebook/web page and it's hard to believe June is almost here. List looks pretty interesting so far & I'm anxious to see the 'rotating taps'... http://www.portlandfruitbeerfest.com/p/beers.html

Has anyone thought about going to this yet? I missed Saturday last year and some of the more interesting beers were gone by Sunday (hope they'll have more kegs - the fest is supposed to expand to the street next to Burnside Brewing). Hope I don't have to work that weekend and fingers are crossed for good weather (but it's the same weekend as Rose Festival parade =rain??? ;) ).

Cheers,
    Brian/msubulldog25

2. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

I missed last year's due to work, but I'm definitely off this time around, so I'm going to pencil it in. I have to work for the Alameda Single Hop fest and will be out of town for NAOBF, so I'll really be shooting for this one. I need to get my beerfest fix!

3. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Went to this last year and loved it. Wish I could do this years also but my wife is competing in the dragon boat races that day. I'll just stay on the other side of the river for that. It appears to be a great fest again this year and one not to be missed if you can make it! That Block15 entry looks awesome as does the Deschutes Raspberry RIS and BBC Ching Ching.

Edit: Side note for another up-coming fest; PIB tickets are up for sale now. Go grab those VIP packages while they're available!

4. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

I'll be there so you guys can live vicariously through me.

5. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

Last year the Widmer Gose was insanely good. Here's to hoping this year's version won't disappoint.

6. boralyl

boralyl Savant (325) Oregon Apr 17, 2008

Got my tickets, the lineup looks great!

7. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (455) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Side note: the Marionberry Hibiscus Gose was bottled and should be out any day now, so you can preview it before the fest. It should be line priced with the other Widmer 4pks at $9/4pk or so.

djbreezy and Sarlacc83 like this.
  8. boMD

Awesome... Thanks for the heads up!

9. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Savant (315) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

Since the only beers my girly friend tends to like is fruit beers (she is a New Glarus fan boy errr....girl), I think I might have to attend this years.

10. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (455) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Neither of you will be disappointed, assuming the beer list is anything like last year.

11. BeerBaronPDX

BeerBaronPDX Zealot (95) Oregon Dec 26, 2008

For those that attended last year, were there any children/toddlers there?

12. HopEnforcer

HopEnforcer Aficionado (125) Oregon Jul 13, 2009

Do you save money buying advanced tickets, or will they still be $22 the day of the event for the glass/12 tasting package?

13. javib458

javib458 Zealot (95) California Feb 28, 2009

I'll be in town this weekend and bought tickets for this but not sure how this fest works. Can you buy more tasting tickets or is it 12 and done? Can you show up both days? I don't think my tickets specify if they are for June 9 or 10. Are you allowed to leave the fest and come back? any info on this would help.

14. I don't think you save any money, you just save on time. In fact, I think you can pay less money (the service fee ~ $2?) by buying at the gate... you just might have to stand in line. When my wife and I got there last year mid-Saturday, there was a huge line stretching around the block, but on Sunday there was no line at all. Take your chances?

As I recall you could buy more tickets, no problem - it seems like buying $1 extra tix is the norn at almost every beer fest. And I think, so long as you still have your tasting glass, you can go both days... at least that's how it works at all the other festivals around here... you may just have to show ID & get a new wristband or something...

15. BeerBaronPDX

BeerBaronPDX Zealot (95) Oregon Dec 26, 2008

Cool. Thank you, good sir.

The wife and I will likely attend, but we were debating about bringing friends to crowd parent or just dump him with a sitter. Probably go with option B at this point.

16. UA8

UA8 Savant (260) Washington May 12, 2008

Me and few friends from out of town will be hitting the VIP session saturday morning. excited

17. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

I accidentally bought VIP tickets for Saturday so I may be there early as well. The only benefit to VIP is the hour early entrance and the special sour beer being tapped, right?

18. Dubbercody

Dubbercody Savant (295) Washington Apr 24, 2006

Is it a new glass this year?

19. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead Savant (350) Oregon Oct 23, 2009

Posted: http://www.portlandfruitbeerfest.com/p/rare-beers.html

"Logsdon Farmhouse Ales: 'Fruit Melange'-Barrel-aged Bretta
    Aged in French oak with pear and cherry. This is a tart beer due to extensive aging on Brett in a French oak barrel. The addition of cherries and pear give an added depth of character and color, while helping balance out the funk of increased Brett.
    This is a once only batch created just for the fest!"

Apologies to those of you who don't have VIP - I'm drinking this entire keg before the GA gates open. :)

20. Shmeal

Don't you dare sir! Save the dregs for me at least

21. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

Like every other burgeoning PDX beer event, this is looking like it will spin out of control. I attended last year and was there when the gate opened. There was only one other person in line ahead of me, about 15 minutes before the start. 2 hours later, it was still a very manageable crowd. I assume that much of this was due to the Rose Parade going in full tilt, about 3 blocks West on Burnside. There was no VIP option that I am aware of, and everybody got what they wanted, no waits, no lines. Similar to OBF, I might sit this one out in order to avoid the masses....

22. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead Savant (350) Oregon Oct 23, 2009

I'm generally 100% with you on avoiding the masses, but when the line-up is that good and there's a VIP option available, it's a no-brainier for me.

I'll also be camping out at the OBF sour & buzz tents this year despite the crowds. If these events put out that quality and caliber of beers, I'll always show up.

23. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

See you there Jeremy! I plan on blacking out by 11am when everyone else gets in. Sign me up good sir!

24. Glad I'm in town for this one. Looking forward to it!

25. skipanoka2

skipanoka2 Zealot (90) Minnesota May 25, 2010

Pretty disappointing that the rotating taps don't actually, you know, rotate. It's been 3 hours and we're stuck on the four taps that started the day.

26. People need to drink to drink up for them to rotate. Was a decent line up when I left, should start moving. Some of the original taps weren't too exciting. The Logsden Melange was awesome thought.

27. I was happy with the rotating taps mostly because I got to try the Logsdon and then the Schooner Exact sour brown, both were excellent

28. I missed yesterday and was wondering if anyone knew how the beer selection is going to be when they open today? Last year they blew through kegs on Saturday and I am hoping this year didn't repeat that!

29. Shmeal

Funky Bunch is being tapped today. Nothing else matters

LoPo87 likes this.
  30. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

My lady and I went there around 5 or so and the taps were beginning to rotate a bit quicker.

The Deschutes Wit was pretty awesome. Really enjoyed that one.

Fruit beers kinda bore me overall but I did enjoy the saisons and weiss, wit, etc. Great turnout and fun event. Good space.

31. Block 15's Tropical Storm hit the spot for me, could have drunk it all day. Tempted to head back this afternoon to see if Funky Bunch is on.

32. Shmeal

Just got a text from a few friends saying that funky bunch was garbage.

It was all about the Femme Fatale, Upright cider thingy, and the Ching Ching. 10 Barrel's raspberry sour was awesome as well

33. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Agreed. The Tropical Storm was really nice. Perfect for the weather too.

34. boMD

What was up with Ezra making beers cost two tickets in the middle the day when they were one ticket at the start of the day? Bullshit and completely shady.

35. hopsbreath

Edit: Never mind.

36. boMD

Don't never mind. It should be called out. He's trying double dip and save these kegs for future events.

37. hopsbreath

Okay you talked me into the banter to keep this thread on top of the PNW forum. I agree, it sounds shady as shit. I didn't attend the fest this year. Were all of the tickets doubled up half way through the day or was it just the "rare" ones? Doubt I'll make next years either if this is how it's getting run.

38. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

Or the fact that the Block 15 Strawberry Fields was supposed to tap next for over an hour. I saved tickets and didn't leave so I could try it and it doesn't even tap at all...

39. boMD

These weren't rare/buzz beers. Normal beers in the normal tent that at the start of the day were one ticket and by afternoon were up to two tickets. What a joke.