[PDX] Fruit Beer Fest ~ June 9 & 10

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by msubulldog25, May 18, 2012.

1. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

I'll wait to hear his side of the story before passing my final judgement, but there's definitely nothing about doubling the cost of a pour late on Sunday anywhere on the fruit beer website. I just double checked. Doesn't look good and this isn't the type of thing that's worth brushing off without explanation.
    Sage wisdom?

2. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Yeah, it was super sketchy. I heard financial reasons were why things were doubled up/not tapped. That doesn't make the most sense to me because we all paid up front, so they knew exactly how much money they were starting out with.

3. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (285) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

I attended on Sunday from about 11:30 - 1:30. The lines were short and the beers were flowing.

Doubling the price of the more sought-after beers certainly seemed strange to me. I assume the point was to have those stick around longer so that more people could try them. I was planning to go back for a second pour of Ching Ching but I changed my mind when I saw the price had doubled.

Having advertised beers that were never tapped (Strawberry Fields for one) and raising the price of others to avoid running out certainly seems in bad form.

Overall the event was well-run but the doubling price thing seems shady.

4. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

I believe this is an example of keg hoarding. For one, Bend Ching Ching is an inexpensive keg and there is no reason it should be $2 for four ounces when just a few weeks ago Bailey's had imperial pints for $4.50. Second, every brewery was required to supply six kegs for the fest. So beers should've lasted.

And you know what?.... If the last keg blows on the last day of the Fest, so be it. That's the nature of beer fests. You don't raise the price to make it last longer in the last four hours of the festival. I believe raising the prices was to discourage people from getting pours so these kegs can be hoarded and used to make money off of future events. There, I said it.

5. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

How stupid re: the keg hoarding and ticket increase. Some beers were 3 tickets. I tried to get a full glass at the "rare" tent and I was told it would cost me 8 tickets. I said "well, with this kind of currency I can't afford it."

I'm sure he'll come on here and post something about it but that guy has a questionable reputation for a reason. Sorry to pass judgement but it's been said many times before.

6. Kelton

Kelton Aficionado (150) Oregon Sep 17, 2010

Hey Folks,

Anybody try the Oakshire Framboise? It was on Sunday @ opening on the Rare Taps. Seriously good... no joke. My favorite of the day.

Yeah, I observed the mid day ticket price hike as well. It seemed uncool. My hope is that Ezra doubled them only because the kegs were running low and he wanted to ensure there was enough left at the end of the day for volunteers to try...

7. PFBF

PFBF Initiate (15) Jun 11, 2012

We made a mistake in the pricing of a number of the beers which is the reason for the ticket cost raise midday on Sunday. As invoices started to come in for the kegs we noticed that many of them were much higher than expected especially the Deschutes and Bend Brewing beers. Those beers should have all been 2 tickets from the start and we lost a lot of money on what was poured already. It is our mistake that should have been verified before pricing.

As far as the Block 15 beer, all 4 tap lines were full so we cannot pour it until another keg kicks. Another keg finally kicked less than half an hour to the end of the fest. You dont tap kegs that late into the day or you eat the cost of the beer unfortunately. Fortunately many untapped kegs will make it back out into the wild to get tapped at a local bar and a few saved for next year.

8. I too thought the price increase was strange. As I made the rounds of people I know I heard three very different explanations with varying levels of shadiness:

1. The organizers realized late in the day that a couple of the kegs were much more expensive and should have been priced at 2 tickets from the beginning. This sounds very unlikely. Why would you be looking over invoices that late on the second day?

2. A couple of the beers were moving quickly and Ezra wanted to ensure that there would be a good selection late into the day. Possibly, though Ching Ching still kicked about an hour after the price increase. Plus, as noted, there were kegs in the Rare Beer tent that never got tapped. If something in the regular tent kicked they could have just replaced it with a Rare Beer, which was not done (the Ching Ching handle was still empty long after the keg kicked).

3. Ezra wanted to horde kegs for either himself or for future events. This doesn't make sense either. I believe the brewers were required to send 6 kegs for beers in the regular tent. If Ezra wanted to keep the 6th keg of Ching Ching he would simply have just not tapped it. Who would have known? And as for trying to keep kegs from the Rare Beer tent, I spoke with Ezra briefly about what hadn't been tapped and what was coming up next. He seemed genuinely unhappy about how slow the taps were rotating. He did mention that he had tried to tap a mixture of kegs sizes in an attempt to have them rotate irregularly. Also he did not put the kegs from the end of the day Saturday back on tap to start the Sunday session, which shows at least some commitment to getting as many beers on as possible. He did also mention that the Almanac beer did not get delivered.

I agree it would be sporting of Ezra to respond to this, but as a couple of others have mentioned his reputation around town is not the greatest. He has almost nothing to gain by answering this post. People that don't trust him will not believe his answer anyway.

EDIT: I see an answer came as I was typing. I still stand by my observations.

boMD likes this.
  9. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

Glad I passed on this event. Sounds like it was grossly mishandled. Too bad, I enjoyed it last year.

10. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Saturday was amazing, it was only Sunday when iffy things started to happen

11. PFBF

PFBF Initiate (15) Jun 11, 2012

Ching Ching was not a big seller, it kicked and was not replaced because it was so late in the day that to tap another keg would have been a loss for the festival. If you tap a keg then you buy the keg and for the festival there is nothing to then do with that keg since the festival only happens once a year. Some tapped kegs will pour at Burnside Brewing but it's in everyones best interest to reduce that number. No beer of the regular 25 taps ran out.

12. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (455) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

I only attended on Saturday, so I can't speak to any of the issues that popped up on Sunday, but Michele and I had a blast. IIRC, the only 2 ticket beers (other than the rare taps) were the upright and the Ninksasi, both of which were clearly marked at opening.

13. To say the event was grossly mishandled is an injustice. I had a very good time and (despite saying it seemed strange) didn't really mind the price increase on two beers. Everyone else I saw seemed to be enjoying themselves. The beers were interesting but not mind-blowing, but overall the price was reasonable which makes up for any perceived lack of quality. I will not hesitate to attend again next year.

This forum is too often a place to bitch about things.

LoPo87, Shmeal and cavemanlawyer like this.
  14. skipanoka2

skipanoka2 Zealot (90) Minnesota May 25, 2010

People should know that VIP was an utter waste of money. The only advantage was to be able to try the Ninkasi and Upright beers before they were increased to two tickets. The rare taps at the beginning were poor, with the sole exception of the Logsdon. If the intent was to try to avoid tapping certain kegs that were to be saved for later, the best way is to put things out at the beginning that aren't going to move.

boMD likes this.
  15. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Welcome to the Internet! And this particular board on BA is filled with just about the most tame, non-complaining crew of BAs out there. It's cool if you had a good time, but hardly a need to hate on people making what seem to be valid complaints.

16. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Baileys just might have the best prices in the country.

Usually a mistake like this is paired with an apology. Not saying you won't have plenty of folks to drink those leftover kegs next year, but might still be a good idea to keep the BAs around?

17. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

Injustice? Have you read the other posts on this subject? I stand by my impression and opinion. This was a train wreck on Day 2, it appears. To promote this kind of mis-management is the real injustice here.

18. skipanoka2

skipanoka2 Zealot (90) Minnesota May 25, 2010

I've got to say, I'm angered by a few things here:
    1.) "Fortunately many untapped kegs will make it back out into the wild to get tapped at a local bar and a few saved for next year."
    What about people who aren't locals? My wife and I are from Minnesota and were only in town because she travelled there for work. I'm happy that other people will get to try them, but that doesn't do me any good and I paid the same for a ticket.
    In addition, does anyone actually believe that they should have to pay again, at a later date, to try a beer that was advertised for the fest? Every beer listed on the website or in the ads should have been available at some point during the weekend. People paid money ahead of time with the expectation that the advertisement was accurate.

2.) "We made a mistake in the pricing of a number of the beers which is the reason for the ticket cost raise midday on Sunday. As invoices started to come in for the kegs we noticed that many of them were much higher than expected especially the Deschutes and Bend Brewing beers. Those beers should have all been 2 tickets from the start and we lost a lot of money on what was poured already. It is our mistake that should have been verified before pricing."
    Tough shit.
    By your own admission, you screwed up; why penalize the customer? If you made a mistake, you eat the cost. Jacking up the price of the available beer, while not even putting out some of what was promised, is amateurish and shows that Burnside has no business hosting this type of event.

19. boralyl

boralyl Savant (325) Oregon Apr 17, 2008

I've got nothing bad to say, I had a blast on Saturday! Loved Deschutes Extinction Stout.

20. yoko

yoko Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 23, 2005

I found the event to be a blast. Volunteers were coordinated well. Beer offerings were an adventure. Folks behind the scene were committed and worked hard. I poured rare beers and must share that they were not available by the glass as stated in this thread. I am appreciative of the efforts of many!