1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

[PDX] Spring beer and wine festival

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by djbreezy, Apr 9, 2012.

1. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

It was better than I expected. There were a few decent brews to grab. Laurelwood Green Mammoth was on so that was a bonus. Got to try that Churchkey beer (not very impressive but cool experience and idea) and saw that Entourage dude floating around. Poor guy can't even go out in public without being bothered by everyone. People are lame.

Did anyone else go? What'd you think?

2. I was at SBWF on Friday with a good friend of mine, pouring beer for 4 hours and then spending our tokens after. I had the Logsdon booth & he had the neighboring booth for Seven Brides. Since we were at the back of the hall, near the food vendors, it seemed like traffic was a little slow (but steady). Three representatives from Logsdon, including their brewer, Charles ('Chuck') Porter, which was really great since I didn't always have to explain the beers. Lots of interest and very few people seemed to mind that Logsdon was the only 2 token beer of the fest (besides the ones at the charity booth).

Yes, I did try the Churchkey beer, it was pretty good (Full Sail Session Lager-like) and was uber-refreshing after 4 straight hours of talking and NO WATER (note to organizers - provide water bottles for volunteers!). I've never watched 'Entourage' so I honestly had no idea who Adrian Grenier is, but I poured beers for him and his crew - so that was cool, I guess.

Highlights for me were: HUB's Single Hop IPA (Chinook as I recall? - it was good enough to have 3 samples of), Walking Man Iron Man IPA, Gilgamesh Vader, and Long Kolsch... and, of course, Logsdon Seizoen.

One other new thing this year: brewers were allowed to sell bottles. Not too many did (as some don't bottle... or perhaps figured it was more trouble than it was worth). It's always seemed unfair that wine/mead/liquor vendors could sell but brewers could not, glad to see the change. A suggestion for next year would be to set up a small 'bottle shop' near the exit where people could shop or redeem vouchers they could purchase at the vendor booths --- that way they wouldn't have to lug purchased bottles around for hours during the event.

All in all, a pretty good time.

Brian

3. Went friday right at noon. Fest was cool. Best i had hands down was Goodlife's IPA, damn tasty and just a well brewed beer. Brewery only 9mo old but brewers know their stuff. Spoke to onenof the owner, differ dudes from differ breweries started their own up. Cant wait for these to show up around pdx. This beer stood out for me
    A-

4. djbreezy

Nice! Sounds like everyone had fun. Oooh yes the HUB IPA and Iron Man were good. I didn't see the Goodlife IPA. Dang.

5. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Looks like a good time had by all. Jealous. Missed it by a couple of days. Looking forward to trying the Logsdon Seizoen Bretta I snagged in HR and good to see others liked the Goodlife IPA as I did when I had it in Bend last Fall. I ran into disagreement last time I gave them a plug but I thought it was pretty damn tasty.

GoodLifeBrewing likes this.
  6. djbreezy

I guess I need to get familiar with Logsdon with all this talk. Never even heard of em.

These folks here? http://farmhousebeer.com/

7. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

That's them. Quality stuff. I hope it starts making it to WA soon.

djbreezy likes this.
  8. Logsdon's marketing guy, John, was at the booth and he mentioned that paperwork is being filed for Washington distribution. They hope to be there in 2 months or so... I don't recall which of the distributors they'd be working with, but right now they self-distribute in Oregon (btw, New Seasons and Whole Foods carry the two Seizoens + Kili Wit currently; so do all the Portland bottle shops)

djbreezy and leedorham like this.
  9. djbreezy

There's no tasting room in Hood River, right? This is just a fancy barn operation!?