1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Peak age for the following beers

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by vthippie, Dec 18, 2012.

1. vthippie

vthippie Aficionado (180) Vermont Dec 18, 2012

New to cellaring, this is what I currently have (all this year's vintage)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    DFH Olde School
    SN Narwhal (I know this is new, give opinions on comparable beer, Old Rasputin should be a close approximation)
    Bolt Cutter (again if you can think of anything comparable use best guess)

I am really curious about the Bolt Cutter which obviously has no track record, I only have 2 bottles down (already had one for a baseline) so it not like I can pop one every 6-12 months (might grab one or two more they are still on the shelves here, but it ain't cheap)

Also probably going to lay some Brooklyn Monster and DFH Palo Santo Maroon down to you opinions on that are welcome as well. I know it's subjective and for some of these we have no baseline and I plan on frequent pops of the more common beers but just looking for ideas from those more experienced, have a true dirt floor cellar so conditions should be favorable and not much of a concern.

Thanks all, glad I found this place!
  2. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Only had one bottle of Black Chocolate so won't comment. No real guess on Monster either.
    Olde School is nice fresh, but really good with a couple years with it.
    If you are comparing Narwhal to Old Raspy, I've heard Old Rasputin is best fresh. I'd be more inclined to believe Narwhal will be like Bigfoot, very drinkable now but easily cellerable for 5+ years.
    Haven't had Bolt Cutter, but from the reviews I've seen so far, could use a couple years.
    Palo Santo is fantastic fresh and aged. Had a batch 1 earlier this year that was delicious.
    vthippie likes this.
  3. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Bolt cutter will be AWESOME when the next Mayan calendar ends.
  4. vthippie

Thanks, I'm surprised to hear you compare Narwhal to Bigfoot, I don't find that most stouts stand up to extended (5+years) aging like a barleywine, but it will be an interesting experiment, I have a dozen of them and I grab them whenever I find them now since they are starting to wind down around here.
  5. 2011 BCS was okay about a month ago. I wasn't impressed. Last week, I had a 2010 bottle and it was goooooood.
  6. Palo Santo gets much better in the 8-12 month range. I would imagine that it keeps getting better for at least another 6-12 months after that... but I've not had the will power to stop myself from drinking them at that point.

BCS: I don't know, but I'm doing a vertical of 09-12 after the new year so I'll keep you posted. It's a bit hoppy fresh so my guess is that it just completely changes with age. We shall see.
  7. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

BCBS turns into dark chocolate milk after four years. Molassesy chocolate milk. Not going to open more than a few bottles until they turn 4. Probably going to wax them since my basement is kind of warm (60-65) and I don't want the esters to get too high energy and escape through the plastic lining!
  8. vthippie

So I'm hearing:

Brooklyn BCS 2-4 years
    Palo Santo Maroon 1-2 years
    Olde School ?
    Monster ?
    Narwhal and Bolt Cutter are obvious question marks

Will probably try to pop a Narwhal every 6-8 months or so and put at least a year on the barleywines before I start popping those. Bolt Cutter is the big ?, with only two I don't want to pull the trigger too early or too late. Might grab a few more here and there while they last on the shelves around me. Gonna try for at least 3 years unless I get more.

Also local store has a closeout on Smuttynose Wheat Wine 1.99/bomber anybody have experience with this? Think I might just grab a case and throw it down, low risk, high reward?
  9. Palo Santo is the rare big beer that I personally prefer fresh. I feel like some of the unique characteristics you get from the Palo Santo wood just get lost with time. I know plenty of BAs who like it with a year or two on it though.

The first time I had aged Old School, I had a pour from a 2003 vintage bottle in 2010, and it was absolutely fantastic. 5-7 years is a great target for this one (and World Wide Stout for that matter).

I don't know an exact age to target for Monster Ale, but having had a pour from a keg of 1999 vintage Monster not too long ago that was still pretty decent, I'd say it can probably go for a while.
  10. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I have only had the two DFH beers.

I had a one year old Olde School and it wasn't much different than fresh so I'd say let that one sit for a while.

I had a 20 month old Palo Santo that tasted like an angel was peeing my mouth. It was amazing. The single most amazing aged beer I have ever tasted. So I'd say 1.5-2 years on that one.
  11. i had a 2007 monster on tap, it was amazing
  12. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (315) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

6 year old Olde School was OUTSTANDING!!!
  13. mitch3114

mitch3114 Savant (290) New York Feb 20, 2012

I found that the BCS is excellent fresh, but it can also be a totally different beer with age. When fresh it is hot and flavorful. When aged it is smooth, mellow and chocolately. However, I found that the in-between time before it gets there is kind of awkward... I don't like it with just one year, but with two or three it seems to hit that spot.
  14. mitch3114

mitch3114 Savant (290) New York Feb 20, 2012

Monster is good at any freshness...won't find any less than a year old now though :( ... but it is still ALLLLL over the place here and at $7.29 a 4-pack, you will never find another barleywine for that price. At the one store in my area it was always that price! I found a few 4-packs of 2010 over a year ago and bought them. I still have 6 bottles left. It's so good.
  15. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I didn't see anyone mention BCBS :)