1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Peanut Butter Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PABeerGeek74, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Peanut butter beer? I'm all for experimentation (and I like peanut butter) but this is a feckin joke. Right up there with Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon beer. Stupidest thing I've ever heard.
  2. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Bought a growler when it was available @ Heinen's. Had on tap many times & it NEEDS to be bottled, if they bottle one beer THIS IS IT...DO ITo_O
    siege06nd and BB1313 like this.
  3. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Aficionado (235) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

I have Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter on tap in my basement. The peanut butter is very subtle in this beer, though. Coffee is dominant. Very tasty!
    BruChef, BB1313 and siege06nd like this.
  4. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

No Crust by Funky Buddha, the standard by which all peanut butter beers will be judged, had this numerous amount of times and still can't believe how fucking delicious it is!
  5. Spring House makes a peanut butter stout. The peanut butter works really well with the beer in my opinion. Also they are out of PA which may make it a little easier to find for you.
  6. Big Gruesome is killer. Seems like we are not the only ones that feel this way either. Too bad it doesn't get better distribution, as I think it would change a lot of minds about the possibility of a peanut butter beer being excellent. We can't even find it in Philly, let alone outside the state.

Spring House also makes a lower-abv version of this beer called Little Gruesome. Have not yet tried it but have heard good things.

Another local (PA) one for you to look for is Neshaminy Creek Hop Nut. It's a sessionable peanut butter brown ale. Very different from the others, but worth trying for the novelty.
  7. I keep praying this gets bottled or starts showing up a lot more once Funky Buddha opens the new brewery this Spring. +1 to Snack Attack! as well, which I got to try 3 different times and each time it blew me away.

Liquid Bliss from Terrapin is a bit disappointing. It's a tasty beer but the peanut flavor is mild at best and I was hoping for more. I've always been told it's really hard brewing with peanuts or peanut butter because of the excessive oil.
  8. One of the best porters I have ever had! They pretty much always have it on tap too!
  9. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

Eastside151 said:
    Assuming you are from Pennsylvania by your name. ;) If you are ever headed towards Cleveland, Willoughby Brewing Company makes a peanut butter cup coffee porter that is pretty good. Here
    It is one of their year round taps now so no worries if you are in the area and want to stop in for one.​
  10. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Had it fresh when it first came out. Hated it. Brought one to a tasting a few months later and it had started to oxidize already. Just a total disappointment.
  11. It came out last month and I haven't been able to find a bottle yet.
  12. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Had this at EBF last year and loved it.
  13. I usually like your posts, but... That is a lotta hate right there for a product I'm assuming you've never had. As Reese's has proven, PB and Chocolate are "two great tastes that taste great together".
    To the OP, Sweet Baby Jesus is just a tick below Big Gruesome on the PB flavor, and is much cheaper.
    "Little Gruesome" is a PB and Jelly stout btw. Normally sells out quickly. I've seen it at the Taproom of course and at Mari's in Reading and Holy Hound in York.
  14. I tried the "scientific" method last night with Sweet Baby Jesus (took one out of the fridge to warm while I drank the first) and have to say the first one was good, but the second was definitely better a bit warmer. I think I like Big Gruesome a little more than SBJ though. I will be on the lookout for Little Gruesome... that sounds good! I like Satan's Bake Sale also, and of Course Braaaiins!
    larryi86 likes this.
  15. terrapins liquid bliss is a great one, the more it warms up the more peanut butter comes out, just bear in mind its a porter. While some have told me they didnt like the thinner mouth feel of the porter base, i felt it it lent it self to be much more drinkable(as in i could have like 3 or 4 pints with out feeling over full).
  16. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Permawants, all of them!
  17. ItsLaTrappe likes this.
  18. This alone was worth the price of my ebf ticket last year, hoping its on the list again this year.
  19. Sweet Baby Jesus on draft is unreal. Went through two sixers of it this month, and multiple draft pours of Big Gruesome...the draft of SBJ I had last night kicked the hell out of everything else.
  20. landrewg

landrewg Aficionado (210) Michigan Nov 11, 2008

Bad Bear Brewing in Albion, MI (near Kalamazoo) has made a peanut butter porter that was fantastic. I also had a blend of that and their strawberry blonde for a delicious PB & J!
  21. I love Terrapin. Liquid Bliss was slightly disappointing.. it was decent just not really good..
  22. I love everything about the idea of Peanut Butter Porter/Stouts. I love Liquid Bliss, though it can be very tame, if almost nonexistent PB tones, from bottle to bottle.

I'm working HARD to get trades set up for both Spring House's Big Gruesome, and DuClaw's Sweet Baby Jesus. I'm a sucker for odd mixes like these.
  23. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Word is it will be bottled at some point, but it doesn't seem a priority as the brewer told me this over a year ago.
  24. scott27

scott27 Aficionado (115) Maryland Dec 31, 2008

DuClaw actually had it on nitro for a few days and it was even better yet. Really brought out the peanut butter
  25. This one is amazing, uses the Reese's recipe. Insanely good.
  26. gotta get the liquid bliss on tap thats where it shines
  27. jb123

jb123 Savant (460) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

oddsides peanut butter stout, fermented with reeses peanut butter cups. pretty good really light. oddisde to start bottling this year!
  28. Mitten Brewing out of Grand Rapids does their "Peanuts and Cracker Jack Porter" extremely well. Roasty, chocolatey and actual peanut butter.
  29. Sounds awesome, ISO! Probably gotta wait on bottles to happen, though, I'm sure.
  30. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Odd Side Ale's Peanut Butter Cup Stout was delicious, but I don't know where you can ever find the stuff. It was on tap, once, at an Old Chicago near my house. I've never seen anything from Odd Side Ales bottled in stores so idk. But it was amazing.
  31. bdonley5

bdonley5 Aficionado (240) Michigan Dec 30, 2011

32. bdonley5

bdonley5 Aficionado (240) Michigan Dec 30, 2011

Oddsides Peanut Butter Stout is great. Currently no bottles. They are planning to start bottling this spring I read. Terrapin Liquid bliss seemed much more like dry peanut than sweet creamy peanut butter to me and the peanut oil hung on my tongue and I kept tasting it through my next beer
    tectactoe likes this.
  33. Liquid Bliss, IMO, worked better as a 'Boiled Peanut' Porter instead of a Peanut Butter. Of course, I had that change from bomber to bomber, and from tap to tap. Mostly, boiled peanuts though.
  34. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (355) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I was somewhat skeptical when I had terrapins liquid bliss peanut butter porter. You couldn't taste much of the pb until it was almost room temp. However, once it warmed you could definitely taste the pb and it was actually pretty damn good. I thin mixing some jelly would be a real stretch but the pb worked with terrapin's brew
  35. I sort of wish this thread never turned up. Because after reading all the posts I'm actually pretty stoked to try a peanut butter beer now. But the chances of actually finding one here are pretty remote.
    ItsLaTrappe and PABeerGeek74 like this.
  36. Ah, doubt it'll be around by summer. Thanks!
  37. jb123

jb123 Savant (460) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

saginaw, michigan. "the michigan tap room" has it on tap...an amazing place to try amazing beer. and yes they are going to bottle this year, they create some very unique beer. their odd side citra pale ale is their staple! looking forward to seeing this in bottles.
  38. Zimbo's reply is why I like him so much.
  39. Had Big Gruesome again on tap tonight. Peanut butter beers are much better on tap it seems.