1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

peche n brett, and abyss/butte 24

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by jefeld, Jan 17, 2013.

1. apparently some peche and brett just got released in bend. A ba in bend should send me some! ;)
  2. Grabbed two bottles today, thanks for the tip. Also found a 2012 Mother of All Storms stuffed in the very back of an overstock bin at John's on the way home.
  3. ellswrth

ellswrth Savant (335) Oregon Oct 7, 2003

I think there is maybe one bottle of Dissident left at Barbur World. I did the same thing.
  4. I was all into that section that is behind the blue flag at the far end, figured someone might be hiding some good stuff in there.

I also stumbled upon the last bottle of Peche n Brett at the New Seasons in Progress Ridge tonight. $19.99, score!
    bfg75 likes this.
  5. For those in Seattle looking for Peche n Brett, The Beer Junction email newsletter claims they have bottles available for sale starting at 6:00 PM tonight, limit 1 bottle per person.
  6. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get shut out again. But after work I have to run up to get my daughter from school, make dinner etc., so yet again it's looking like the stars may not be aligned. Wife's sick at home today so I doubt she'll be very understanding when I say I need to go run an "errand" over in West Seattle...

If anyone's willing to hook me up, BM me. I'm dying to get just one bottle of this one.
  7. Bambinos

Bambinos Initiate (0) Washington Nov 21, 2010

If you can't get one let me know and I will save one for you.
    bfg75 and draheim like this.
  8. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

Is it just me or everytime I read one of your posts it is like a play-by-play of your day-to-day?

;)
    ellswrth likes this.
  9. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Sorry, you're right. I do that. TMI.
    OakedCanuck likes this.
  10. His day to day sounds a lot like mine. It's nice to know I'm not the only one running the family fire drill daily.
    distantmantra, ellswrth and jpbebeau like this.
  11. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Latest update: I just pooped.
    oregone likes this.
  12. oregone

oregone Savant (365) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

I'm cooking dinner. Definitely getting in the way of getting great beer. That and living on the coast.
  13. It's OK. Everybody does. You'll be toilet trained soon enough.
  14. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

I almost made it to the baffroom this time!
    writerLJBerg likes this.
  15. The Brew Shop in Bend has a few bottles of PB on the shelf. I'll be picking up a couple in a day or two.
  16. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (190) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

youre not supposed to tell anyone until youve got yours in hand ;)
    hoparoundnw2337 likes this.
  17. Thank you... I didn't have the heart:rolleyes:
  18. Just picked up a couple bottles at the Brew Shop. They have about 2 more cases.
  19. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Beermongers had some today.
  20. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

Yep, I picked up my two bottle limit at Beermongers today around 7pm, and there were still some left. I also scored a Stone Enjoy By because the guy working the counter accidentally had an extra one tucked away in the back.

Major thanks to BM! (Oh yeah, that was fun to type.)
    goodbyeohio likes this.
  21. Uptown has Peche n Brett back in stock. $25 a bottle seems steep, did prices go up from $19.99 last release?
  22. Any gopickitupformebros.com out there!!!??? A Pittsburgher needs your beer! Help me ObiPecheKenobi, you're my only hope!
  23. guajolote

guajolote Savant (390) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

From what I gather, it was going for $18-20 again this time around. So no.
  24. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Aficionado (225) Oregon May 17, 2010

Belmont had it for almost a week (last Wednesday thru at least Monday. Went from 1 bottle limit then they raised it to 2). Surprised it lasted so long. My wallet is not very happy.
  25. 8eer

8eer Aficionado (110) Oregon Mar 27, 2010

$25 is steep. $5 more than I have heard/seen it go for. But I couldn't help myself. There were at least 5 bottles left. I noticed this one has black wax vs. clear on the release last month. Also, a best by date of 2/2018 vs. 5/2015 on the bottle I got last month. Must be those extra 3 years of drinkability that cost me the extra $5, right? ;)
  26. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

That's strange is it possibly that they used an old label for your first beer?
  27. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (330) Washington Sep 11, 2011

There was another thread that indicated this was the case. OP thought he had a bottle from last year.
  28. w_klon

Well, I got a few bottles the first time around from a couple different places and some had best by 5/2015 and some had a best by 12/2017. o_O
  29. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

I probably read but forgot, thanks.
  30. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

They used last years' labels for some of the bottles. I heard that Hop and Vine accidentally got a case from last year, so it might have happened if you bought your bottles from them.

If your bottles have the GABF gold medal sticker on the neck, they are this years', regardless of what the main label says.
  31. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (310) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

For what it's worth, the bottle I opened from this year's batch was dated 5/2015 and I thought it tasted nothing like what I remembered fresh Peche tasting like last year. Very little peach nose when that was the holy shit moment when I tasted it in '12, a little more tart than I remembered and simply not as good as I recalled. When I first had PnB last year, I was thinking the entire time, every sip, that it was one of the best beers I'd had in years. This time, it was totally different. It tasted, simply, vintaged. Afterwards I noticed the label date being the same as a vintaged bottle I had in my cabinet. So I traded the 2nd bottle of 5/2015 2013 for a 12/2017 a friend got from Belmont Station to make sure it was part of the fresh batch and I'm going to taste it side by side with my vintaged one. Not sure what that'll even accomplish, but I suppose since I just had the new bottle that tasted old, I'll be able to see if the actual vintaged bottle matches up with it or not.
  32. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (310) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

This would seem to make total sense, but for me there are only 3 options: either my palate has totally betrayed me out of nowhere, 2) the beer is way different this year than last, or 3) We got a vintaged case that somehow has the GABF collar.
  33. 8eer

8eer Aficionado (110) Oregon Mar 27, 2010

I also had some (read: about 5 yeasty mls from the bottom of a bottle) of the 2012 version last summer and thought it was phenomenally good. The small pour of 2013 I had at a tasting last month did not compare; less fruit & much less "yum I could drink this forever".
    Of course, now I am going to be ever chasing the "rush" of that "first hit". I should probably go straight to rehab.:eek:
    guajolote likes this.
  34. w_klon

Do we know that they, in fact, use last years labels with the best by dates?

Its obvious that the labels themselves are printed separately and the Bottle No. and Best By date are printed after. The labels could have very well been made this year. It seems the difference in Best By dates could have either been done in error at the time of printing or relative to different batches/bottling dates.

Either way, thinking about this has made my head hurt. Off to have a beer, Cheers! :D
  35. I am now the proud owner of one of these bottles or at least I will be when i visit my friend in portland in about a month or so!
  36. I have 2 tan wax and 2 black wax. Haven't looked at the dates yet though. I think I remember the distributor saying they were about to release a whole new batch of Peche, so I think this is it.
  37. suncrust

suncrust Savant (295) Washington Apr 17, 2011

Yeah, according to David, two bottlings of this years batch. Yellow wax is first bottling, black is the second and it's just coming out now.
    theveganbrewer likes this.
  38. goodbyeohio

goodbyeohio Advocate (670) Oregon Jul 13, 2004

the wax is actually the same color on both versions, its the color of the cap that's different. black was in the barrels longer, is more oakier and less peachy
  39. DaSolomon

DaSolomon Initiate (0) New York Oct 12, 2011

IF anyone has access to extra, spare Peche N Brett that they can acquire, I would be very much appreciate of being contacted to organize and reach a fair trade. I am over in NYC, cellar available upon request for those who are interested.
  40. lazarus25

lazarus25 Aspirant (40) Oregon Jun 4, 2012

Bierra Deli had some Black Butte 24 a few weeks ago.