1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Peche N Brett-Did I just get a Batch 1??? 0_o

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by HaveUSeenMyCellar, Jan 27, 2013.

1. I recently had a batch 1 in Portland at the Fantasia Bottleshare----THANK YOU GUYS!!! :)
    Since everyone left and said I could keep the empty bottles, I happened to keep this one.
    I recall everyone mentioning you could tell last year and this year's batches apart by the World Cup Logo on the top label (very distinguishable).
    I just compared my one bottle I got to someone else's from this year and noticed the "Best By" dates were different. Mine said 05/2015 and his said 12/2017.
    The Batch 1 bottle we had also says 05/2015.......does this mean the beer gawds have shined down upon me and I got a relabeled Batch 1??? :-D
    Please advise.
  2. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

Does it say Gold Medal on the neck? if so, that Is from this year.
  3. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

They used some old leftover labels from batch 1 (the 05/2015 ones). As long as there is the Gold Medal sticker on the neck, it is batch 2.
  4. Darn....thought I was lucky or something and had some batch 1 (honestly, they taste pretty darned similar).
    Do you feel this is year is better? or last year? if so, what are the differences?
    Another posed opinionated question...Peche or Fantasia? for flavor/taste? trade value?
    I appreciate your open opinions, this what BA is about...talking about beer. :)
  5. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

I liked the Fantasia much better than the peche and Brett... also liked the draft Fantasia better... would have to go with the 2012, though the fresh peach on the 2013 was nice as well, but liked the more sour better.
  6. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Very different beers, but I have to agree with you. Fantasia is better.
  7. Persica>fantasia>peche n brett. The best part is that they're all great.
  8. Never had Persica...will it be released again for me to try? If not, what is it trading for now? Fantasia or Peche for it? Good info though....man, it's seriously peach season on BA :)
  9. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Yes, Persica will be released again, but it will be a Crooked Stave Cellar Reserve exclusive beer. You could possibly find someone willing to go 1:1 with Fantasia or Peche, but it'll be tough. Each member only gets 2x375ml bottles.
  10. Dammit....I just posted a ISO:FT before reading that they are 375s as my curiosity was peaked by ArchEnemyBrew posting that I should try it and compare....what was cost of each bottle of Persica? Bottle count? Considering it was only 900 count of Fantasia, is it worth trading for?
    What was bottle count of Peche?
  11. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

375 this year, 750 last year.
  12. Bottle count on persica batch 1 (750ml) was 420. No idea with the new 375's yet to be released
  13. Is that for Peche or Persica?
    Anyone know the cost of bottles?
  14. Persica. Not sure of the cost. I think they are included in the price of your CS RS membership.
  15. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

I prefer Peche to either vintage of Fantasia (though especially to this year's).
    bgramer likes this.
  16. IMPO, I felt this year's Fantasia was the best since it had the perfect balance of fruit forward peaches with enough sour as compared to last year's batch 1 that was straight sour (though being honest, at first I was all about the 2012 until the 2nd glass, at which point I was all about the 2013 :)). I've only had the Batch 1 from the Bottleshare at Beermongers as I only have one treasured bottle of Peche I got and don't know if I should drink now or hold on to it. The peche was excellent, don't get me wrong. But, it seemed like they concentrated on the sour part before thinking about getting the peaches to come out (hoping this years is like the Fantasia and has a good balance....
    "good balance" being the term most used at the release.
  17. bfg75

Wow, I would disagree about the Peche. I found it to be much more fruit forward than the Fantasia. The peach faded REALLY quick from the Peche 'n Brett though so if you had a batch 1 it may have been a really poor representation of how good the beer is. The last bottle I opened of batch 1, probably about 3 months ago, had almost no peach. Fresh was a different story though.

I wouldn't recommend sitting on the Peche 'n Brett...the fruit goes quickly, even Chuck the head brewer at Logsdon said it should be consumed as fresh as possible as the fruit is the first thing to go.

Fresh Peche is, at least to me, a far finer beer than either batch of Fantasia but all of this is up to individual taste.
  18. Hahaha...you're gonna make me drink my only bottle tonight or at least this week, aren't you? ;-)
    I was hoping to get Persica first. Here's a glass of tonight's IPA to someone replying to my ISO:FT post.
    If anyone's got Persica, not meaning to threadjack my own post, but I'd love to try one in the next month.
  19. bfg75

Trust me man, I had 4-5 bottles of Peche last year, older it was, the more faded the fruit. This year's is beautiful right now. It's great to try things side by side but if you don't get a hit on your ISO you should just drink it.
  20. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Just finished this years Peche. Very mellow and very balanced. Not too sour, not too fruit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I honestly can't see how it would be better aged. No flavor takes over another as is, there is no alchohol in both taste/aroma that I could find.

I say, drink up and enjoy!
  21. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

Fantasia is better than Peche N Brett in my opinion. Last year I found fresh Fantasia to be better than Peche N Brett. I had them both side by side in October of last year and still found Fantasia to be better. The Peche N Brett smelled phenomenal during that tasting and trumped Fantasia and even Fou Foune. The taste of the fantasia was still better IMO. It was a little more sour, and neither beer really had much peach left, if at all.

I have had this year's Peche N Brett, and I think it is better than last year's. I have yet to open a Fantasia bottle but the draft Fantasia I still thought was better than Peche N Brett and the 2013 was better than the 2012 draft at the release. Shmeal posted saying that the 2013 Fantasia bottle tastes very similar to the draft version (which was NOT the case with 2012 Fantasia, the bottle being way better), so I am expecting the 2013 Fantasia bottle to be my favorite once again.

I have tried getting my hands on Persica for a couple months now with no success. It trades for whales. I bought a membership for the Cellar Reserve from Crooked Stave this year just so I can taste that damn beer.
  22. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead Savant (330) Oregon Oct 23, 2009

I have a Persica from my CS CR membership (no, it is not for trade unless someone has something like a Brandy Vanilla Dark Lord - and that's not to say that they should go 1:1 or whatever, just that it's one of those beers that I'd much, much rather drink it than trade it, which is likely why you can't find one). You just gave me an idea for a tasting - both vintages of PnB, both Fantasia, Perisica, Fou Foune, Fantasia Five Sole Comp, and just about any other Fantasia variant or peach beer we can find.